Halloween (2018)

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
First Photos: The New “Halloween”
Tuesday, June 5th 2018 4:50 pm

The first photos from “Halloween,” director David Gordon Green’s direct follow-up to John Carpenter’s 1978 original, have arrived via a new feature story at USA Today.
Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her role of Laurie Strode who has been preparing for a rematch with the iconic knife-wielding killer Michael Myers who terrorised her forty years ago – and she’s as ready for him as he is for her.
The film sees a British documentary crew coming to the States to visit Michael in prison for a retrospective of the maniac’s night of terror. Myers escapes custody, retrieves his signature mask and seeks revenge on Laurie.
Of her role, Curtis says: “In this case, she is well-matched, she is prepared, she is focused. She will be the one people are standing behind when that moment comes, because she’s the one ready.”
Jason Blum produces the film which also stars Judy Greer and Andi Matichak as Laurie’s daughter and granddaughter. Curtis says the streamlining of the series and its ignoring of all the sequels was a big reason she signed on to return as the new one is – “simple, clean, scary and excellent”.
She also has no issue with the franchise’s endurance: “I recognize that it will be my biggest contribution. Despite writing books for children, all of my advocacy, all of my politics, all of my own personal journey, my legacy will be Halloween.”

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Another teaser

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Before they made Michael with a William Shatner mask, but now they've saved money and just cast William Shatner as Michael Myers.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
So what's new now? I dunno, I feel like they've done everything they can do with the same few slashers and now it's just riding on nostalgia.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
So what's new now? I dunno, I feel like they've done everything they can do with the same few slashers and now it's just riding on nostalgia.
It’s a direct sequel to the first one. Halloween 2 never happened. Michael has been in prison since he was shot by loomis at the end of 1. They aren’t Brother and sister.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
actually looks not bad
So far the mask looks pretty good. I just hope they don't go too far with the Laurie the survivalist thing. And I hope they don't make Michael "superhuman"

There was one shot in the trailer as well which makes Michael look overly sadistic, and I don't want them to go too far down that road either

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
So far the mask looks pretty good. I just hope they don't go too far with the Laurie the survivalist thing. And I hope they don't make Michael "superhuman"

There was one shot in the trailer as well which makes Michael look overly sadistic, and I don't want them to go too far down that road either
I think they’re gonna stick the the whole “he’s just insane” thing. They’re getting away from the whole brother sister thing. I don’t think it’s a revenge thing rather than what was stated by Dr. Loomis that “michael just bided his time”.

Interviews with Nick Castle stated that Michael is more like the original. Not having supernatural powers or strength. Basically like the end of the first I think they find him couple blocks away all shot up.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Interviews with Nick Castle stated that Michael is more like the original. Not having supernatural powers or strength. Basically like the end of the first I think they find him couple blocks away all shot up.
The shot in the trailer in the bathroom stall with MM aggressively trying to pull that girl out makes me a bit uneasy. If they’re trying to stay true to the original version of MM, they should be aware that he isn’t a “brute” (unlike Zombie’s version of him). The original MM was more stalkerish and more sneak up on victims.

I hope the movie gives a plausible reason for why Laurie (presumably) remained in Haddonfield (or did she? Did the trailer mention Haddonfield?)

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
The shot in the trailer in the bathroom stall with MM aggressively trying to pull that girl out makes me a bit uneasy. If they’re trying to stay true to the original version of MM, they should be aware that he isn’t a “brute” (unlike Zombie’s version of him). The original MM was more stalkerish and more sneak up on victims.

I hope the movie gives a plausible reason for why Laurie (presumably) remained in Haddonfield (or did she? Did the trailer mention Haddonfield?)
I don’t remember hearing Haddonfield. I tried to look at the shoulder patch of the cop in the trailer but couldn’t tell

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
93% so far on RT out of 15 reviews (100% among top critics)

Sep 20, 2016
Hell
Recently bought the entire series on blu-ray and went thru them all in 2 nights. Best ones were 1, 2, 4, and the Zombie remake (the 1st one. The 2nd was as awful as Halloween 3). Really hoping this new one will be good but I have my doubts. The original Halloween is my favorite movie, it kills me to see the name bastardized further.

Yeah that's fascinating. Again, just make the goddamn mask look like the one in the first two and don't ever let his eyes be visible in the mask.
The mask in part 2 was vastly different from the original

Sep 20, 2016
Hell
You don’t know how wrong you are. It was indeed the very same mask used in the original. It had gotten worn and a different actor was wearing it though.
I stand corrected sir.

"In Halloween II (1981), Michael wears the same mask from the first Halloween, but it looks different in the sequel because the paint had faded for various reasons. First, Nick Castle, the original Michael, had kept the mask in his back pocket during shoots. Also, Debra Hill kept the mask under her bed for several years until the filming of Halloween II, causing it to collect dust and yellow because Hill was a heavy smoker. The mask appears to have red hair (having apparently been spray-painted again) and also seems wider because Dick Warlock is shorter and stockier than Nick Castle, so the mask fit his head differently."

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
You’re goddamn right you do!

"In Halloween II (1981), Michael wears the same mask from the first Halloween, but it looks different in the sequel because the paint had faded for various reasons. First, Nick Castle, the original Michael, had kept the mask in his back pocket during shoots. Also, Debra Hill kept the mask under her bed for several years until the filming of Halloween II, causing it to collect dust and yellow because Hill was a heavy smoker. The mask appears to have red hair (having apparently been spray-painted again) and also seems wider because Dick Warlock is shorter and stockier than Nick Castle, so the mask fit his head differently."
One of life’s cruel jokes. Even though apparently Hill was a heavy smoker, she died of cancer relatively young (and I don’t think it was lung cancer). While Carpenter apparently was one of the biggest smokers on the planet (there was even a shot in Halloween where his cigarette smoke gets blown into the frame, and if you’ve ever listened to one of his DVD commentaries, you can hear him lighting up like 5 or 6 times over the course of it. Though I guess in fairness, audio commentaries are sometimes recorded over several sessions).

As for HIII, I wouldn't say it's that good of a movie though it has some positives such as a legitimately creepy atmosphere aided by another Carpenter/Horwath synth score. Dean Cundey also returns so it has quality Panavision photography. Dan O'Herlihy devouring the scenery every time he's on screen and an adequately cheesy performance from 80's stalwart Tom Atkins. There's one pretty legitimately shocking moment and an unconventional ending.

Hard to call it a "good" film, but it can be fun, though you will have to stab yourself in the brain once it’s all over to remove a certain jingle that repeatedly plays throughout the movie.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Wow an actual nod to HIII

Also the Judith Myers headstone looks like a perfect recreation of the one from the original. Trying to keep my expectations in check, but I’m getting excited for this. I guess if it’s at least as good as H4, I won’t be totally disappointed.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Wow an actual nod to HIII

Also the Judith Myers headstone looks like a perfect recreation of the one from the original. Trying to keep my expectations in check, but I’m getting excited for this. I guess if it’s at least as good as H4, I won’t be totally disappointed.
It won’t have the “Curse or Thorn” bullshit in it either

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Did they really need to bring JLC back for this? She is about as unbangable as Judi Dench.