Halo Dev: Metal Gear Solid V Character Design Is 'Disgusting'

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
In a string of recent tweets, a designer at Halo developer 343 Studios called the design of a prominent female character in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain "disgusting."

"Our industry should know better than this," David Ellis, designer at 343 said. "...Industry full of man babies."

Ellis' complaints were in response to an image of a specific character called Quiet, a sniper character revealed at E3 who will play a prominent role in The Phantom Pain. This reveal followed a series of tweets by Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, in which he said that he encouraged art director Yoji Shinkawa to make characters appear more "erotic."

Kojima has since contextualized his comments, saying "erotic" wasn't the right word, and that he meant more along the lines of "sexy." Check out the image in question below. Do you agree? Is Quiet's revealing design too much?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/07/halo-dev-metal-gear-solid-v-character-design-is-disgusting

all Snake needs to do is shoot her in the tit and the boss fight would be over.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Those dizzy Japs have an affinity for that sort of thing. Then again, a Halo Dev shouldn't really be throwing stones at how a game is made.

Dec 12, 2007
A thong isn't really sniper clothing, but I couldn't really give a shit, it's a Jap game. They're nuts to begin with.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
There exists now a vocal an anti-sexualization stance of female characters in video games among some developers, magazines, and anti-fun people. Halo cannot compete in this area since their characters are wearing battle suits.

She isn't smiling and wearing some weird fashion statement so that is a difference.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
Those dizzy Japs have an affinity for that sort of thing. Then again, a Halo Dev shouldn't really be throwing stones at how a game is made.
Fuck them. They make the same shitty game with generic and uninteresting environments.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
BTW. The theory why she has so little clothing on is because her skin can change color and texture like a chameleons. She's a sniper so this ability would be advantageous.

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
...Pardon me.

Of all the professions and developers, did a designer of Halo 4, which features the main supporting character of Cortana looking like THIS, and a had a community, which until CoD became so popular, was the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING IMAGE to the Xbox community to be portrayed as whiny, fouled mouth 13-yrd old kids (huh?) use criticisms like "disgusting" "man-babies" and "our industry should know better than this."?

What's more obnoxious is the design really isn't that different from previous MGS games. Only difference now is we live in a time where the horseshit of, "Misogyny must be eradicated in all subjective cases of it." exists on such a vocal level where it actually needs to be acknowledged.

As little respect I've had for Japanese developers over the recent years, kudos to them for being unabashed over perceived sexism.

Last edited:

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I support this character design.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
...Pardon me.

Of all the professions and developers, did a designer of Halo 4, which features the main supporting character of Cortana looking like THIS, and a had a community, which until CoD became so popular, was the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING IMAGE to the Xbox community to be portrayed as whiny, fouled mouth 13-yrd old kids (huh?) use criticisms like "disgusting" "man-babies" and "our industry should know better than this."?

What's more obnoxious is the design really isn't that different from previous MGS games. Only difference now is we live in a time where the horseshit of, "Misogyny must be eradicated in all subjective cases of it." exists on such a vocal level where it actually needs to be acknowledged.

As little respect I've had for Japanese developers over the recent years, kudos to them for being unabashed over perceived sexism.
It's not even misogyny in this case. All of Kojima's characters are fucking weird. He had a giant Indian with no shirt and raven tattoos in the middle of Alaska in one of his games. This is the same series that has clones, flamenco dancing vampires, a dude that can control electricity, 3 cyborg ninja's, a women antagonist, a guy with psychic powers, the list goes on and on. I think these morons who cry misogyny all the time don't know the fucking meaning of the word. I gets thrown around too often nowadays just like the word racism.

Dec 12, 2007
It's not even misogyny in this case. All of Kojima's characters are fucking weird. He had a giant Indian with no shirt and raven tattoos in the middle of Alaska in one of his games. This is the same series that has clones, flamenco dancing vampires, a dude that can control electricity, 3 cyborg ninja's, a women antagonist, a guy with psychic powers, the list goes on and on. I think these morons who cry misogyny all the time don't know the fucking meaning of the word. I gets thrown around too often nowadays just like the word racism.
More importantly, you have a better chance of reversing the rotation of the sun then guilting the Japanese to change with our shitty American feminism.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Have any of these assholes figured out that you spend 99% of this game with a compelling view of Snake's ass and crotch (from the back, no less).

Yeah, misogyny.