Halo short film (possible peek into a future halo movie)

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
I had this in the game forum, but seeing how people don't like the game, they bash this clip without even seeing it. It's probably better suited for this forum anyhow. Has anyone seen this thing? It's a short film based on what happens immediately preceding the beginning of the Halo 3 game. holy Christ. If they can produce this thing into a movie, it is going to be epic. Granted, the short did have plenty of technical things to pick apart, but with a little more work on the CGI (which I'm sure the approval of a real budget from a major studio would guarantee), this could be one of the best action movies in a while. The short had this weird "Saving Private Ryan" feel in a futuristic sense. It literally gave me goose bumps of anticipation. Might be because I have [very limited] familiarity of the game, but this thing has potential to be seriously incredible as a future summer blockbuster. I REALLY hope this short creates the buzz to get it started.

If you haven't seen it, check it out. Even if you're not really into games in general, it still looks sick. The beginning part really calls on familiarity to hook in those familiar with the game, but stick with the initial intro. Some cool action takes place after.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eLB9FpIMKA&feature=related[/media]

By the way. If you have a 360, download it off of live to see this on your TV... it will be worth it to save watching it off your computer unless your monitor is larger.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
Yeah these are pretty cool, I've seen them before. The style would be an interesting take on it.

But besides it having great visuals, the only thing I wonder about is the whole idea of "Master Chief" he's this great warrior and all but there really isn't anything else in the game about him. I've read a couple of pages from the script online and they call him master chief, and it just seems kind of silly.

I've never read any of these books set in the halo universe that have come out, maybe I'm wrong and he is a fully fleshed out character and I just haven't seen it yet.

The director also did a short about aliens living in South Africa, it had some nice effects and was done similar to these. I'm sure it's up on youtube.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
links to the south africa thing?

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
I like the style. With at least a half decent budget and a good director it could make for a great action flick.

A good script couldn't hurt either.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
hmm, I see something went missing from this thread

Ryoshima

Apr 11, 2006
I've read a couple of pages from the script online and they call him master chief, and it just seems kind of silly.
I don't know if you've played any of the games or anything, but Master Chief is his rank. 'Master Chief Petty Officer John-117'. With of course, John being his name. You can look on wikipedia for his backstory. Basically was kidnapped at the age of 6 by the military to make him into said super soldier. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Chief_(Halo)

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
I don't know if you've played any of the games or anything, but Master Chief is his rank. 'Master Chief Petty Officer John-117'. With of course, John being his name. You can look on wikipedia for his backstory. Basically was kidnapped at the age of 6 by the military to make him into said super soldier. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Chief_(Halo)
Yeah I"ve played them, and I do really like them.

I kind of misspoke, it wasn't just that they called him "Master Chief" it was the fact that his character was listed as Master Chief, instead of John-117. Something about reading it made me feel like it was more akin to the Fifth Element, instead of a kick ass future war movie.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
yeah, but if it's going to be anything like that clip, it will be NOTHING like 5th element. Honestly, the action shots in the clip aren't really missing much except for touching up some choppy CGI.