HALP! Hard Drive Trouble.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
So I have a Western Digital 2TB drive with about 400gb of O&A, SNV, Stand Up Material. It recently decided to stop working on my computer. It will spin up but won't show up on my computer. I will pay good money to anyone who can fix this problem. Plus you can have my entire collection. Name you price and I will send you the drive. Data recovery companies want up to $500. fuck that.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
$5 but you have to supply the magnets.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Internal, external? If external, the USB connector might have come unsoldered. Easy enough to pop it out of the case & transfer the contents to a new drive.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
So I have a Western Digital 2TB drive with about 400gb of O&A, SNV, Stand Up Material. It recently decided to stop working on my computer. It will spin up but won't show up on my computer. I will pay good money to anyone who can fix this problem. Plus you can have my entire collection. Name you price and I will send you the drive. Data recovery companies want up to $500. fuck that.
doesn't show up at all? Is it an external or internal? If it's external, see if you have an extra spot for it internally and then check to see if the drive is recognized there. If it locates it during the boot up, but still isn't accessible from windows, try spinrite from http://www.grc.com/intro.htm It's about $80, but it usually works.

If it's not regocnizable even when internal, it sounds like the control board is toast. You COULD try to replace it with one from an identical drive, but there's no guarantee. I haven't done that in years, so I don't even know if it's possible on newer drives. I just do this nifty thing called BACKUPS and then I don't have to worry about it

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
Internal, external? If external, the USB connector might have come unsoldered. Easy enough to pop it out of the case & transfer the contents to a new drive.
External. I've tried many cables, it the newest USB (3.0 i think) IDK whats going on. I should have put all this stuff on a cloud data site. 90% of it is easily retrieved through a few sites but its the 10% i'm worried about. Stuff I don't think I can get again.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
doesn't show up at all? Is it an external or internal? If it's external, see if you have an extra spot for it internally and then check to see if the drive is recognized there. If it locates it during the boot up, but still isn't accessible from windows, try spinrite from http://www.grc.com/intro.htm It's about $80, but it usually works.

If it's not regocnizable even when internal, it sounds like the control board is toast. You COULD try to replace it with one from an identical drive, but there's no guarantee. I haven't done that in years, so I don't even know if it's possible on newer drives. I just do this nifty thing called BACKUPS and then I don't have to worry about it
WOW, where do you get this thing you call a BACKUPS?

would be worth a lot of money ;)

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011

It's the external drive itself. I can put another drive or thumb drive in with no problem. When I plug it in it will spin up, i can here it but nothing. The weird thing is when I unplug it it will show up as a drive for a half second in "my computer." and then disappear.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
WOW, where do you get this thing you call a BACKUPS?

would be worth a lot of money ;)
Trust me I wanted to back it up for a while but up until now I had absolutely no money to do that. If I get the data I WILL be backing it up.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
try to get it to mount hooked up internally

you may have a bad USB controller on your board

is it in a good case with a fan?

heat kills lots of drives

MTJonny

Donator
Apr 24, 2009
Greater Seattle area
I would not power up the drive, the longer its up the bigger chance you have to lose everything. I recently left a PC repair company that had a fairly reliable program to recover data from dying drives. If you want I can go snag the program and send it to you. Just a FYI, I have seen the program run for a week straight before, sometimes getting everything, sometimes nothing.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
on the cheap you could just get a bunch of Gmail accounts and email all the stuf to them

drop box, Ubuntu1 and lots of other free online storage places

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
ALSO, it could be the HD enclosure too. I have had them go bad on me. If you hear the drive spinning up and there's no funky sound coming from it, USUALLY the data is salvageable.

Aren't you in south Jersey? How far from Willingboro? I will be working over there tomorrow afternoon. Might be able to lend a hand

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Stupid question time: Did you try a different USB port? Also, is it possible another storage device is using the drive letter, and for some stupid reason Windows isn't letting your drive choose a different letter?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
I would not power up the drive, the longer its up the bigger chance you have to lose everything. I recently left a PC repair company that had a fairly reliable program to recover data from dying drives. If you want I can go snag the program and send it to you. Just a FYI, I have seen the program run for a week straight before, sometimes getting everything, sometimes nothing.
Yeah if you have a decent program I would love to try it. Time is no concern.

on the cheap you could just get a bunch of Gmail accounts and email all the stuf to them

drop box, Ubuntu1 and lots of other free online storage places
Yeah I tried the free stuff but with 400gb of data I would have to sign up to every single one and still probably not have enough free data storage.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm also inclined to think that it's an issue with the external USB interface and not the drive itself. If you pull the drive and connect it up inside a PC you might be good.

Alot of factory-built external drives have these kinds of issues, which is why some get their own enclosure with a fan and put a drive inside it.

I have Spinrite. It may help if the drive itself is bad, but the fact that the drive is only detected for a short time and then goes away is a problem. But again, that points to the interface.

Buds Spuckley

Mar 17, 2008
When I had a hard drive start to go on me I read somewhere to put it in a ziplock and put it in the freezer for an hour, I was able to get the important stuff off but it was no where near 400 gb.

Im not sure if it was dumb luck but since then I do multiple backups of my important crap in the cloud and off site.

Heres the details http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
When I had a hard drive start to go on me I read somewhere to put it in a ziplock and put it in the freezer for an hour, I was able to get the important stuff off but it was no where near 400 gb.

Im not sure if it was dumb luck but since then I do multiple backups of my important crap in the cloud and off site.

Heres the details http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux
That doesn't apply here. Do not do this.

Everyone should have one of these.

This
.. and it's cheap. I think I paid $8 for one on New Egg.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
So have you tried mounting it as an internal drive yet like lots of people have suggested? Take it out of that enclosure, you may fuck it up if you don't.

This will help you see if it's a problem with the drive itself or an enclosure issue:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

If it's the disk, I've put drives in there and run the disk check utility from within the program and it's fixed the problem with drives I thought were toast. This will also let you see if you can see the files on the drive. If you can, there's stuff from Paragon or Easeus that can let you migrate the data back to another drive. Some of it's free even.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Paragon-Rescue-Kit-Express.shtml