Movie Han Solo - A (Pointless) Star Wars Story - 5/25/18

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
We've got a Lando, I guess we need a thread for this horseshit now:

http://www.starwars.com/news/donald...-upcoming-han-solo-star-wars-stand-alone-film

FILMS // OCTOBER 21, 2016

DONALD GLOVER CAST AS YOUNG LANDO CALRISSIAN IN UPCOMING HAN SOLO STAR WARSSTAND-ALONE FILM
THE SMOOTH-TALKING SMUGGLER IS COMING BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN.
Hello, what have we here?

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han SoloStar Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the showCommunity, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Will we actually SEE Han win the Falcon from Lando??!!!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Great. Casting a black as Lando. Fucking libs.

Like casting, hate idea.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
For once, @LiddyRules, I agree with you. This movie isn't desirable.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
The only thing that gives me the slightest bit of hope for this is Lord & Miller being involved. The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street sounded like absolute horseshit ideas at one point, too.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
It will be incredibly difficult to not make this suck, and we haven't even seen Rogue One yet, so it's impossible to gauge how likely it is for Disney to pull this one off. On the other hand, I didn't expect Guardians of the Galaxy to be as amazing as it was, so I guess it's still possible to surprise me.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Well at least Donald Glover will have something to fall back on after Atlanta gets canceled.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It will be incredibly difficult to not make this suck, and we haven't even seen Rogue One yet, so it's impossible to gauge how likely it is for Disney to pull this one off. On the other hand, I didn't expect Guardians of the Galaxy to be as amazing as it was, so I guess it's still possible to surprise me.
The difference is that Guardians of the Galaxy really had nothing to live up to and nothing to "prove" plus had room to grow. This is someone trying to be Harrison Ford (as opposed to someone doing a Harrison Ford impression) but having to stop pretty much when he enters the Cantina. I will say this. It might be silly fun. Sure. It might not even be a "bad" movie. But it will be a cheap movie, and the "so this is Star Wars?" is going to hurt it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The difference is that Guardians of the Galaxy really had nothing to live up to and nothing to "prove" plus had room to grow. This is someone trying to be Harrison Ford (as opposed to someone doing a Harrison Ford impression) but having to stop pretty much when he enters the Cantina. I will say this. It might be silly fun. Sure. It might not even be a "bad" movie. But it will be a cheap movie, and the "so this is Star Wars?" is going to hurt it.
I know it's different. I mainly used GotG as something that no one really expected to be good.

And for this movie to be good it really needs to do something different. Just have Han and Lando smuggling crap and getting mixed up with gangsters and such. Having it be related to the Empire or anything to close to the legacy stuff will be really lame.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I know it's different. I mainly used GotG as something that no one really expected to be good.

And for this movie to be good it really needs to do something different. Just have Han and Lando smuggling crap and getting mixed up with gangsters and such. Having it be related to the Empire or anything to close to the legacy stuff will be really lame.
Han and Lando talking on couches as a green screen of a futuristic cityscape appears behind them.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
I just want to see him rescue Chewbacca from his spice mining slavery. That still part of Hans back story right? The life debt and and all that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
They make me feel safe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

I EXPECTED IT TO BE GOOD!

And the reasons for people not expecting it to be good are so totally different. With Guardians it was "that's too off the wall" and with this is "ugh, that is so safe."

I think in this case people would welcome them taking a Han Solo movie into a totally wacky and unexpected place that doesn't involve the checklist of "free Chewie, swindle Lando out of the Falcon, make the Kesel run, mate with a diverse chick."

If that's the movie, it sucks, and there is no way to make it not suck. None.

Now that I think on it, Guardians is the best Han Solo solo movie that anyone could have ever made. Chris Pratt did a better job impersonating Han Solo than this dude will do impersonating Harrison Ford. So what is the point of this?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I think in this case people would welcome them taking a Han Solo movie into a totally wacky and unexpected place
Ehhh...no. It still seems lazy and cheap to me. Would that make it less lazy and cheap? Maybe? But it still wouldn't be less enough.

that doesn't involve the checklist of "free Chewie, swindle Lando out of the Falcon, make the Kesel run, mate with a diverse chick."

If that's the movie, it sucks, and there is no way to make it not suck. None.
But that's totally the movie. Except probably more self referential than you expect.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ehhh...no. It still seems lazy and cheap to me. Would that make it less lazy and cheap? Maybe? But it still wouldn't be less enough.

But that's totally the movie. Except probably more self referential than you expect.
Well yeah. A Han Solo movie is pretty much a lame idea doomed from the start. All I'm saying is at least try while you're not trying....

But yeah. Kesel Run. Whoopty Doo...

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Well yeah. A Han Solo movie is pretty much a lame idea doomed from the start. All I'm saying is at least try while you're not trying....

But yeah. Kesel Run. Whoopty Doo...
I think they're going to try, but in trying they're going to try in all the wrong ways. As in, they're going to attempt to make the best movie they can based on the shitty parameters they've been given. Like they're going to do the best they can with the Kessel Run (I bet the movie opens with that) but the fundamental flaw is doing the Kessel Run in the first place.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
My guess is just like Rogue One is/was supposed to be a war movie, the Han Solo one will be a western.