Happening Now: Rand Paul Is Doing An Old-School Filibuster Of Obama’s CIA Nominee Right Now

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
#StandWithRand trending #1 for several hours now.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Love the Paul family.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
OK, so here's what I don't understand about filibusters - isn't it very easy to just wait it out? Will another 3 or 4 days make that much of a difference? I'm seriously asking because I don't understand the process well enough.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Senator Ted Scheckler of Texas is reading tweets about Rand. Only when presented verbally like this can the incomprehensible awfulness of twitter be fully appreciated. This douche has said the words "Stand with Rand" about 30 times in the last 2 minutes.

I'm definitely standing with Rand's hairpiece It's pretty epic.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Senator Ted Scheckler of Texas is reading tweets about Rand. Only when presented verbally like this can the incomprehensible awfulness of twitter be fully appreciated. This douche has said the words "Stand with Rand" about 30 times in the last 2 minutes.
It makes it sound like a poem. And he's reading the hashtag. That's why he keeps repeating it.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
It makes it sound like a poem. And he's reading the hashtag. That's why he keeps repeating it.
I GET IT!

#angryfornoreasonlikerandpaul

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Kind of funny hearing Senator Cruz do "Patton" quotes.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Drudge says he's on 8 hours+. Any cliffs on what he's said so far?
On vague wording of drone strike criteria: “Are you going to just drop a hellfire missile on Jane Fonda? Are you going to drop a missile on Kent State?” He later added, “That’s gobbledygook.”​
On Obama’s civil liberties flip-flop: “I think its also safe to say that Barack Obama of 2007 would be right down here with me arguing against this drone-strike program if he were in the Senate.”​
On John Brennan: “I have hounded and hounded and hounded him… Only after yanking his chain… does he say he’s going to obey the law. We should be alarmed by that.”​
On the Constitution and the law: “I’m not saying that anyone is Hitler, don’t misunderstand me. But what I am saying that is…when a democracy gets it wrong, you want the law to be in place.”​
Taking a stand: “I have allowed the president to pick his political appointees…But I will not sit quietly and let him shred the Constitution.”​
On his colleagues in the Senate: “If there were an ounce of courage in this body I would be joined by other senators… saying they will not tolerate this.”​
On White House “kill list”: “The people on the list might be me.”​
On Obama: “He was elected by a majority, but the majority doesn’t get to decide who we execute.”​
On making a point: “This will be a blip in his nomination process. But I hope people will see it as an argument for how important our rights are.”​
On Congress: “Nothing ever happens around here.”​

At around 8:09 p.m. ET, Paul asked Americans, “Are you so afraid that you are willing to trade your freedom for security?”

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Best retweet I've read on twitter from some random guy...

@jeffotoole
Only in America do you have to teach a Constitutional Professor & Nobel Peace Prize winner he cant kill his own citizens. #StandWithRand
Oh and it's become bizarro-world...Van-fuckin-Jones tweeted this...

@vanjones68
.@SenRandPaul is the MAN right now. #Hate2AdmitIt #p2 #tcot #NoDrones
That's actually hard to believe. The fact that he had the hashtag #tcot (top conservatives on Twitter) makes me think it's fake.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
On vague wording of drone strike criteria: “Are you going to just drop a hellfire missile on Jane Fonda? Are you going to drop a missile on Kent State?” He later added, “That’s gobbledygook.”​
On Obama’s civil liberties flip-flop: “I think its also safe to say that Barack Obama of 2007 would be right down here with me arguing against this drone-strike program if he were in the Senate.”​
On John Brennan: “I have hounded and hounded and hounded him… Only after yanking his chain… does he say he’s going to obey the law. We should be alarmed by that.”​
On the Constitution and the law: “I’m not saying that anyone is Hitler, don’t misunderstand me. But what I am saying that is…when a democracy gets it wrong, you want the law to be in place.”​
Taking a stand: “I have allowed the president to pick his political appointees…But I will not sit quietly and let him shred the Constitution.”​
On his colleagues in the Senate: “If there were an ounce of courage in this body I would be joined by other senators… saying they will not tolerate this.”​
On White House “kill list”: “The people on the list might be me.”​
On Obama: “He was elected by a majority, but the majority doesn’t get to decide who we execute.”​
On making a point: “This will be a blip in his nomination process. But I hope people will see it as an argument for how important our rights are.”​
On Congress: “Nothing ever happens around here.”​

At around 8:09 p.m. ET, Paul asked Americans, “Are you so afraid that you are willing to trade your freedom for security?”
I HATE having to like Kirk posts.

NuttyJim

It's My Birthday!
Feb 18, 2006
Is he reading everything that is posted with that hash tag because that could be hilarious if he does.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
He was definitely losing his voice at the end there.

Hey look, hell hath frozen over...ACLU supported Paul's efforts...

EXCLUSIVE: ACLU Backs Paul's Filibuster

On Wednesday afternoon, Christopher Anders, Senior Legislative Council at the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington D.C., spoke with Breitbart News exclusively about Senator Rand Paul’s filibuster of the John Brennan nomination to CIA director over the administration’s failures to answer questions about domestic use of drones. Anders backed Paul to the hilt, and was highly critical of the Obama administration.
“It’s certainly a courageous and historic effort by Senator Rand Paul and his colleagues, who are now increasing in numbers and coming to the fore in support of his filibuster,” said Anders. “The information Senator Paul is looking for goes to the very core of what the US is and who Americans are as a people.” Anders pointed out that the information Paul seeks is easy for the administration to hand over – it “ought to be a no-brainer,” he said. “It ought to be upsetting for everyone, all Americans of both parties, to not be able to get a straight answer to what is a very straightforward question from Senator Paul.”
Anders went on to explain that the Department of Justice could post the legal memos in question on the internet within an hour, or Xerox them and send them to the floor of the Senate. “The American people have a right to know,” said Anders. “Senator Paul is right to push for that information and I think he’s doing a very good job of exercising his constitutional duty as a member of Congress in our system of checks and balances to help serve as a check on the executive branch, on the president.”
Anders called the administration’s stonewalling “inexcusable.” The standards apparently applied by the administration, he continued, “are not standards recognized by any court in the land, any court anywhere in the world.”

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
OK, so here's what I don't understand about filibusters - isn't it very easy to just wait it out? Will another 3 or 4 days make that much of a difference? I'm seriously asking because I don't understand the process well enough.
What would have been a "who gives a fuck" nomination of someone 99% of Americans have never heard of becomes a soap box for civil rights splayed over every cable network. That's really the point of it. I know that in the case of certain pieces of legislation, there is an expiration time in which to vote. A filibuster on that type of legislation is meant to last past the deadline, thus sending the legislation back to committee rather than up for a vote. There isn't a time frame for confirmations, so this is all about raising awareness and (hopefully) forcing ol' Constitutional Scholar and Nobel Prize winner to unequivocally answer the question of whether he believes it is within his authority to drop a hellfire missile on an American citizen, on American soil, without a trial.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
What would have been a "who gives a fuck" nomination of someone 99% of Americans have never heard of becomes a soap box for civil rights splayed over every cable network. That's really the point of it. I know that in the case of certain pieces of legislation, there is an expiration time in which to vote. A filibuster on that type of legislation is meant to last past the deadline, thus sending the legislation back to committee rather than up for a vote. There isn't a time frame for confirmations, so this is all about raising awareness and (hopefully) forcing ol' Constitutional Scholar and Nobel Prize winner to unequivocally answer the question of whether he believes it is within his authority to drop a hellfire missile on an American citizen, on American soil, without a trial.
Well, it seems to have worked at least to some degree. It's a giant story now.