Hard Drive/RAID/BIOS Settings

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Im wondering if I have my BIOS settings set correctly for my hard drive configuration. Here's some info:

Motherboard: Intel DG965WH
Sata 0: Hitachi 160GB SATA
Sata 1: Seagate 250GB SATA
Sata 2: Samsung DVD-RW

IDE 1: Pioneer DVD-RW

I just recently added the last 2 SATA devices. My BIOS has always been set to:

Configure SATA as <RAID>

The thing is, I dont use RAID at all. I never really noticed it was set to that - it came like that by default.

I installed Vista64 months ago with just the 1 hard drive and the BIOS set this way. The computer works fine.

My other choices are Configure SATA as <IDE> or <AHCI> . If I change the settings to either of these, the computer will not boot up, just keeps restarting.

Now the problem that Im having: When I access the 2nd hard drive (just backup/data) it "winds up" like its waking up from a sleep mode, but functions completely normal otherwise. Could this be related to that setting in BIOS?

How should I have the BIOS set and why won't Vista load on <IDE> or <AHCI> Do I need to reinstall the OS with it that set first?

Teddy

Nov 20, 2005
Here
u can leave it as raid if u can figure the raid for jbod or u can change it to ide but u will have to reinstall windows

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
u can leave it as raid if u can figure the raid for jbod or u can change it to ide but u will have to reinstall windows
What is jbod?

How can i configure raid if all my drives are independant? Isnt the point to mirror off each other, so say 3 drives would appear as 1 and they would coexist with each other mirroring/striping.

I never fully understood the RAID stuff.

My hard drive has been "waking up" at random now...not sure why

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
sata drives can usually 'sleep' to save power..IF you check your HDrive manufacture specs there may be a jumper setting you can use to disable the wake up...Raid is just what they call the Sata controller...

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
sata drives can usually 'sleep' to save power..IF you check your HDrive manufacture specs there may be a jumper setting you can use to disable the wake up...Raid is just what they call the Sata controller...
The only jumper on it is to run at 3.0GB/sec vs 1.5GB/sec

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Look under power settings in your BIOS for hard drive sleep settings. As far as RAID goes - the onboard RAID controllers are really just software. They are not true hardware RAID controllers. The idea is that you COULD set drives to mirror each other, but if you are using dissimilar drives, then the available space is equal to the smaller of the two drives.

It really should have been set to IDE mode before you installed the OS, but since it has been working, don't worry about it. There was probably a utility on the CD that came with the motherboard to configure the RAID parameters.