Harry Potter Spin-Off Movies Written By J.K. Rowling Announced

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I actually don't mind this. It's a pretty dense universe with plenty of stories that can be told, and since Rowling is involved it'll probably be in line with the Potter flicks.

'Harry Potter' spin-off movie series announced, written by J.K. Rowling

The wizarding world of Harry Potter is coming back to the big screen through a new spin-off movie written by J.K. Rowling herself. The movie will be set 70 years before the events of Harry Potter, and will follow the adventures of Newt Scamander. For big fans, Scamander's name may be familiar — in the original series, he was the author of a textbook called Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which Harry was required to buy. Warner Bros. announced the new film this morning, saying that it would be the first in a whole new series, and that some familiar characters and creatures could turn up once again.

"I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about," Rowling says in a statement, "and this is it." Scamander's story will begin in New York, rather than London as in the original series, but Rowling says that all of the laws and customs that relate to hidden magical societies should remain familiar. The new film's events otherwise won't have a direct relationship to the events of Harry Potter, and should instead stand on their own. Though the original film series was adapted from Rowling's novels, this will be the first movie that she has written herself.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm in. Sounds like fun.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The Harry Potter universe always felt like it had a ton of stuff we never saw or experienced. It's the mark of a good imaginary universe and it also means that this won't feel forced. These can function both as prequels and as complete side stories that reveal more creatures, locations, and events.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
There is the other point as well...main character isn't a kid.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
They are fun books/movies. Quit being a noodge.

Ooo...I bet we get a new Lego game out of this.
They are better than fun. And this is from someone who initially read them reluctantly.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
They are better than fun. And this is from someone who initially read them reluctantly.
I'm halfway through the second one. Didn't realize how far I was in it.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Same here. I didn't start reading them until Order of the Pheonix came out. And that was only because I worked at Barnes and Noble at the time and saw the massive fandom for the books and decided to give them a try. It's just about time for my annual re-reading of them too.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
She's riding the gravy train as far as it goes. Good for her.
Lets remember how many books Orson Scott Card has in the Ender Series, Shit mother fucker released 2 books staring Ender after he said one of them was the FINAL BOOK of the Saga.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Never read the books and have only seen one of the movies. No particular reason.