OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Harry Reid Picks His Three Super Congress Members

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

We really should have made a fantasy league for this. Couldn't have been any geekier than the sports ones...:icon_mrgr

2. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

John Kerry..... Great pick a guy that votes for higher taxes and then parks his yacht in another state to avoid paying taxes.

3. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

This can't be true, the Super Congress is supposed to be composed of Illuminati Lizard People appointed by the Bilderberg group and the Brady Campaign.

4. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

This Super Congress thing is so illegal. Not to mention completely useless.

5. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'm confused... I thought this "Super Congress" was created out of the bill that was just passed to find spending cuts... a bill that did not include new taxes... so why are they talking about increasing taxes?

Yup, a fucking waste of time. God damn it, show us you can manage your fucking bank account before coming back with your hand out.

6. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Goddamn are the Democrats good at sticking to talking points. "Remember guys, NEVER call them taxes. The new phrase is "revenues". Never taxes, always revenues". Fuck these doublespeaking faggots.
    The "number one criteria should be someone who fights for revenues". Now imagine a politician saying what that really means: "The number one criteria for choosing members of the debt commission is someone who will fight to raise taxes". That doesn't go over so well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak

7. Lord Zero

Remember your training, boy; only republicans lie.

8. BloodyDiaper

BloodyDiaper Registered User

New phrase? Hasn't it been called the Internal Revenue Service for 100 years or so?

9. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Yes, which is a euphemism for "guys who take your money". The point is that, until recently, we have always heard that you need to raise taxes. Since the start of the debt ceiling debate, all we have heard is that we need to "increase revenues". Revenues is the new buzz word. Just like terrorist acts are "man-caused disasters" and we are not in a "war on terrorism", it is an "overseas contingency operation".

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123879985817588375.html

10. BloodyDiaper

BloodyDiaper Registered User

I've been following budget debates for over 20 years, raising revenues is not a new buzzword.

11. Lord Zero

If Eric Holder had any integrity or courage, he would file arrest warrants for anyone involved with this Super Congress idea. To quote my dad on the matter, "12 people don't get to decide the fate of the fuckin' nation."

12. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

...and at the end of the day they don't. The Senate and House STILL have to vote on any recommendations they put forth.

13. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Patty Murray is an A1 cunt. I can't believe my state keeps re-electing that twat. (wait, yes I can)

14. Hoffman

I know nothing of Murray, I don't like Kerry's tax views but other than that I can't say he's a horrible Senator. Max Baucus I actually think is a good choice. It will be interesting to see who the Republicans nominate.

15. Lord Zero

So basically, the whole thing is just the waste of time we all know it is?

16. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I was going to make a joke about them not even waiting until the announcement to ram tax increases down our throats, but they actually did it.

17. Hoffman

Yep, business as usual in Washington.

18. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Based on what I can tell, it's pretty much another committee. Everyone in Congress still has to vote on the laws. I think the power in this committee lies in the fact that if they have an internal consensus, they pretty much have one to get a bill through congress. I'm also under the impression that Reid wont let any budget bill even be considered unless it originates from the committee.

Yes, it's another waste of time, and I think it's a way to bypass the newly elected Tea Party representatives who wont consider new taxation.

BTW, this whole fucking debacle just reinforces why we need term limits in my opinion. Some people in Congress just have too much power.

19. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Ok, so if they don't really have any actual power, can I have a veto over all their decisions? I don't want to impose, and be invited to their meetings or anything like that, I just want a final say on whatever they decide, over a quick e-mail.

It wouldn't take more effort on their part then corresponding with any constituent who feels like writing them a letter. But it would really make me feel great about myself, and, if what you're saying is true, it would have no consequences for the country. It would give me exactly zero new powers.

20. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Sauron, Doctor Evil, Ming the Merciless.

21. Hoffman

If you don't like what they do then by all means vote them the fuck out of office. I know I plan on voting for ZERO incumbent politicians next year.

22. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

What you are describing is a system in which democratic elections are the only check on the power of government agents. The founders recognized the many weaknesses of such a system, and they never adopted it. In fact they went to great lengths to avoid it, and wrote against it extensively.

The main check they came up with on government instead is the rule of law. Their intention was to not allow any powers to the government whatsoever, except those explicitly prescribed by law. And they did not intend to make sure those limits stayed in place just by means of democratic elections. They intended for them to be kept in place by two other means:

1. The First Amendment, affirming absolute freedom of speech, allowing people to speak up against any abuses.
    2. The Second Amendment, which is self explanatory.

23. Hoffman

Hey, if you want to go shoot up your Senators and Congressmen then please be my guest. I'll stick with writing them letters and voting against them if I don't like what they're doing.

:action-sm

24. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Dream Team complete...

25. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

What the Hell? No Zod?

[​IMG]