Hatchets, knives thrown at police during Motel 6 standoff

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

A wanted man set a fire in his motel room and threw hatches and knives at Portland police officers during a standoff along Powell Boulevard on Monday morning, police said.

The 57-year-old man, wanted for parole violation and once charged with homicide in Nevada, has been rushed to a hospital.

Police said the man was alone in a room at the Motel 6 when they arrived.

Other rooms were evacuated, and negotiators began talking with the suspect.

Though the man was communicating with officers, he refused to surrender, Sgt. Pete Simpson said. Officers then forced their way inside.

"Based on a breakdown in negotiations, we initiated an explosives breach. We put a charge on the door, which blew the door off its hinges," Simpson said.

Once inside, Simpson said, officers saw fire and smoke coming out of the motel bathroom, and also noticed what appeared to be lighter fluid on the floor of the room. Firefighters moved in to put out the flames.

Meanwhile, police said, the man threw hatches and knives before trying to climb out a window.

He was taken into custody and has been hospitalized.

Police said there wasn't any danger to the surrounding neighborhood, but Powell Boulevard remains closed to all traffic from 33rd to 28th avenues.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.
http://www.kptv.com/story/22040158/motel-6-standoff-shuts-down-powell-boulevard

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Every once in a while, I unfortunately have to spend a night or two in a Motel 6. In the 20 some odd years I have been traveling, every time I have ever stayed at one there has NEVER been a night when the local police didn't show up and haul someone out of the place.

There is a reason they are so cheap and it's because you never ever get a full nights sleep. I fucking loathe and detest Motel 6's.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Meanwhile, police said, the man threw hatches and knives before trying to climb out a window.

He was taken into custody and has been hospitalized.

Police said there wasn't any danger to the surrounding neighborhood, but Powell Boulevard remains closed to all traffic from 33rd to 28th avenues.
He distributes a little cutlery and they close down 5 blocks?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Every once in a while, I unfortunately have to spend a night or two in a Motel 6. In the 20 some odd years I have been traveling, every time I have ever stayed at one there has NEVER been a night when the local police didn't show up and haul someone out of the place.

There is a reason they are so cheap and it's because you never ever get a full nights sleep. I fucking loathe and detest Motel 6's.
Best Westerns are pretty much as low as you want to go if you have a choice.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
BAN HATCHETS AND KNIVES! For the children people the children

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

/approves