Hawaii advice

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Got a question perhaps you fine gentlemen might be able to address

Thinking of planning a vacation to Hawaii for the family. I think we only have time and energy for one island. Which one would you choose as the first choice for someone who's never been there.

I thought Oahu/Honolulu would be the obvious choice, but a couple of folks have been pushing me towards Maui. Plus I think the Big Island would be cool to see the volcanoes and drink coffee.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
If you're only going to one, go to Oahu, and make sure you go to Pearl Harbor if you or your family have never been there.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
If you smoke...bring some nicorette gum...a bunch of the Island communities are smoke free.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Holy shit, I could not disagree more. I have only been once, and only to two islands. My first three days where on Oahu in Honolulu. While a nice place, I could not believe I flew for 10 hours for that. I went in October of 2001, one month after a little event called 9-11. The place was empty, so it was great for us. Pearl Harbor was amazing, and very somber (especially what had happened the month before). And the Missouri had just been opened a few months earlier. Was great to explore that ship with only a handful of people on it. We also went to the North Shore to see the Banzai pipeline. But it just was not the Hawaii I expected.

Now Maui on the other hand...

What an amazing place. You get some sort of spiritual connection to the place. We had an amazing hotel, the Westin on Kaanapali beach. There was an open lobby that had all sorts of exotic wildlife on this fake mountain/waterfall thing that led to the six layers of pools that led to the ocean. There was a great little restaurant a short walk down the beach where we ate dinner every night and watched the sunset:

Now Maui is not a hot spot for night life, but has some awesome day trips. One is the road to Hana. It is an old trail (I think it was called the highway of kings in what I like to call, back in the day) and around 1910 or so, the army corp of engineers paved it and there are a shit ton of these bridges only big enough for one car. The road winds between the rain forest and the North shore of Maui.

Now when you get to Hana, there really is nothing there. It is the road that is the attraction. All along there are little spots (some you can see, some you can't) that have waterfalls and black sand beaches and all sorts of great spots. We saw some hippy chick crass the road and disappear down towards the ocean so we stopped and found about a dozen hippy's just smoking weed and playing guitar and bongos. I was admiring an beautiful water fall, and some topless hippy chick in the water invited me in and she swam me over to a spot that went behind it. The place was so sareal, my wife is the jealous type did not give a hoot.

Now if you continue past Hana, there is a park that if you hike about a mile or so, has some place called the seven sacred pools. It is an old lava flow that a stream now flows through creating seven pools with waterfalls that lead down to the ocean. If you make Hana, you HAVE to continue to this spot. I met a dude and his chick from Boston, and the guy had a cooler with a 12 pack in it. The four of us swam in the pools and drank the beer. The guy had me jump about 20 feet into one of the pools.

This one from the web that gives you a better idea of how nice this area is:

Another great day trip is to watch the sunrise at Haleakala. We got up VERY early, about 3. Drove to the sumit of Haleakala (about 10,000 feet), a dormant volcano. When we got there, we where only the second car there. There is no artificial light. Once you closed the door to your car, it was pitch dark. Combine that with the altitude (above any clouds and thinner atmosphere) and you saw more stars then you could imagine. As it got closer to sunrise, about 150 people where there to watch it. It was amazing.

Here is me and my wife just after sunrise. Dress warm, it was about 38 degrees up there:

I hope this helps. If I ever get back, I would definitely do Maui again. I would probably spend a few days on Kauai next time. Heard that is beautiful too. Kauai is called "the garden island".

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Holy shit, I could not disagree more. I have only been once, and only to two islands. My first three days where on Oahu in Honolulu. While a nice place, I could not believe I flew for 10 hours for that. I went in October of 2001, one month after a little event called 9-11. The place was empty, so it was great for us. Pearl Harbor was amazing, and very somber (especially what had happened the month before). And the Missouri had just been opened a few months earlier. Was great to explore that ship with only a handful of people on it. We also went to the North Shore to see the Banzai pipeline. But it just was not the Hawaii I expected.

Now Maui on the other hand...

What an amazing place. You get some sort of spiritual connection to the place. We had an amazing hotel, the Westin on Kaanapali beach. There was an open lobby that had all sorts of exotic wildlife on this fake mountain/waterfall thing that led to the six layers of pools that led to the ocean. There was a great little restaurant a short walk down the beach where we ate dinner every night and watched the sunset:

Now Maui is not a hot spot for night life, but has some awesome day trips. One is the road to Hana. It is an old trail (I think it was called the highway of kings in what I like to call, back in the day) and around 1910 or so, the army corp of engineers paved it and there are a shit ton of these bridges only big enough for one car. The road winds between the rain forest and the North shore of Maui.

Now when you get to Hana, there really is nothing there. It is the road that is the attraction. All along there are little spots (some you can see, some you can't) that have waterfalls and black sand beaches and all sorts of great spots. We saw some hippy chick crass the road and disappear down towards the ocean so we stopped and found about a dozen hippy's just smoking weed and playing guitar and bongos. I was admiring an beautiful water fall, and some topless hippy chick in the water invited me in and she swam me over to a spot that went behind it. The place was so sareal, my wife is the jealous type did not give a hoot.

Now if you continue past Hana, there is a park that if you hike about a mile or so, has some place called the seven sacred pools. It is an old lava flow that a stream now flows through creating seven pools with waterfalls that lead down to the ocean. If you make Hana, you HAVE to continue to this spot. I met a dude and his chick from Boston, and the guy had a cooler with a 12 pack in it. The four of us swam in the pools and drank the beer. The guy had me jump about 20 feet into one of the pools.

This one from the web that gives you a better idea of how nice this area is:

Another great day trip is to watch the sunrise at Haleakala. We got up VERY early, about 3. Drove to the sumit of Haleakala (about 10,000 feet), a dormant volcano. When we got there, we where only the second car there. There is no artificial light. Once you closed the door to your car, it was pitch dark. Combine that with the altitude (above any clouds and thinner atmosphere) and you saw more stars then you could imagine. As it got closer to sunrise, about 150 people where there to watch it. It was amazing.

Here is me and my wife just after sunrise. Dress warm, it was about 38 degrees up there:

I hope this helps. If I ever get back, I would definitely do Maui again. I would probably spend a few days on Kauai next time. Heard that is beautiful too. Kauai is called "the garden island".
You don't say...

:action-sm

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I have a friend that lives on Oahu and one that lives in Maui...both places were cool....I liked Maui a little more...

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
On a side note, the Hawaii sun fucks you up. Even when it's not sunny there, it's sunny. ALWAYS put on the sun screen, especially when it's overcast. You will thank me (Or, hopefully, never know that you needed to thank me, which is ideal.)

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
the wife and I honeymooned there. Pearl Harbor really is something to see, very moving but be prepared to hold your rage down at the Japs laughing on the Arizona memorial. I thought my wife was gonna lose her mind and kill someone. Other than that is is beautiful, next time I am trying another island.

Thundering Herd

Jan 14, 2006
I lived on Oahu from 2008 - 2012 courtesy of the Army. If you had only one island to go to it would depend on your likes and what you like to do. IF you want to see touristy sites, see the usual attractions and spend a lot of time in the water then Honolulu and Oahu are for you. If you want to see more nature then the big island may be more your speed. Maui is nice but can get boring real quick and is really touristy now. My favorite was a the big island going to the Volcano, Mauna Kea, and driving around the island. I really like Kauai as well since it was experiencing what Aloha truly was and how laid back life can be. PM me if you want some specifics.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
I agree with Shucker. Go to Maui. I went for my honeymoon 2 years ago. (Im also passionate about maui) We had friends who went to Oahu and said it was too commercialized. Not saying Maui isn't but there is so much random shit to do there that you'll probably never do again. Hana is an awesome trip to take. There are tons of hidden waterfalls and pools you can stop at and check out. Haleakala is just incredible. The amount of stars and planets you can see before the sun comes up is so cool. Molikini is this volcanic crater to snorkel/scuba at. Has every marine life you could imagine.
One of my fav things was their lack of snakes and shit. You can pretty much wander through the rainforest and not have to worry about them like if you were in South America. Other the. Boars, I don't think there are any animals to worry about in the rainforest.
It will cost you tho. I don't think we ever had a dinner under 100$ and any meal you eat will cost you.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Perch, that pic of that place with sunset? We ate there for about $15 per head. That included a piece of steak,fish, or chicken, rice and veg. Of course that was 12 years ago, but I was surprised how reasonable it was. Of course the restaurants on the Westin property where triple that. As most people know or have heard, things are expensive there. I mean, you have to ship just about EVERYTHING in (milk was crazy as it has to be flown in, like $8 a gallon). But I found just a little bit of looking around, and you could find some reasonable things. I saved some money by buying bottles of vodka at the ABC store, and we went to the supermarket in Lahaina and bough mixers and a couple of giant tumblers. I would make drinks to bring to the pool. Little stuff like that made it almost a reasonably priced vacation (Well, the airfare and hotel where pricey, but we did stay at a high end joint).

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I lived on Oahu for 3 years, and it is a very good place to visit in terms of an initial Hawaiian experience. the Big Island is amazing as well, but if you have limited time Oahu is a good place to start.

if you decide to go there, or to go to the Big Island, I can give some recommendations on things to see and do that might not be in your regular guidebooks and such

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
Have you asked Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas? Oh wait, that was Miami Advice.

Kill me now.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
Perch, that pic of that place with sunset? We ate there for about $15 per head. That included a piece of steak,fish, or chicken, rice and veg. Of course that was 12 years ago, but I was surprised how reasonable it was. Of course the restaurants on the Westin property where triple that. As most people know or have heard, things are expensive there. I mean, you have to ship just about EVERYTHING in (milk was crazy as it has to be flown in, like $8 a gallon). But I found just a little bit of looking around, and you could find some reasonable things. I saved some money by buying bottles of vodka at the ABC store, and we went to the supermarket in Lahaina and bough mixers and a couple of giant tumblers. I would make drinks to bring to the pool. Little stuff like that made it almost a reasonably priced vacation (Well, the airfare and hotel where pricey, but we did stay at a high end joint).
Im sure some places were reasonable but the ones where everyone recommended were not. Mamas Fish house was one of the best meals Ive ever had in my life and I think that was easily 150$ for just the two of us with one or two drinks. I didnt really care since it was our honeymoon and I figured we would most likely not be back there anytime soon.
We stayed at the Westin too. One morning we thought we would slum it up a little and go the buffet for breakfast. 65$ for 2. I was floored. They had a starbucks in the hotel and it was easily a 20$ hit every visit.
One of the cheapest things we did was just hop in the car when we were bored one day and drive around the West Mountains. Plenty of great overlooks and hidden things to check out.
This was us at the top of Halekala.We stole a blanket from the hotel room to stay warm. It was absolutely freezing.

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
This was us at the top of Halekala.We stole a blanket from the hotel room to stay warm. It was absolutely freezing.
I would know that view anywhere! Yes, cold as a cunts tit up there. The place with the reasonable food was the restaurant just a bit down the beach (towards the cliff on the right) from the Westin. I think it was called Lani's? Hell, it's been so long, may not even be there now.

ShavedLebaneseBear

Question: What kind of bear is best?
Oct 17, 2002
West Coast
I went to Maui and Lanai many years ago, did Oahu about 10 years ago, Kauai last year, and just got back from the Big Island a couple of weeks ago.

Oahu and Maui were the more tourist oriented places. Both had lots of stuff to do, in and out of the city. As many have said here, if you go to Oahu, check out Pearl Harbor. It's very cool, and kind of eery.

Kauai is lush and green. The waterfalls at Waimea Canyon are awesome to hike. The island felt remote, but civilization wasn't far away. Kind of the best of both worlds, IMO.

I was pretty disappointed by the Big island. There was not a whole lot going on there, both on the Kona and Hilo sides. The Big Island seems to be populated with a lot of locals and hippies. It's pretty much the opposite of Oahu and Maui. If you are looking to go lay on the beach, this is not really the island for that, unless you are at a resort with it's own beach. Most of the beaches are more for exploring/hiking, like the green sand beach at the South Point for example. There are some cool lava related areas though. We did the hike at the Chain of Craters Road in Volcanoes National Park, and it was pretty cool. If you go there, do the lava boat tour. It seemed like it was going to be cheesy as hell, but it was not. It made our trip and blows those overpriced helicopter tours away. You get within about 100 feet of the lava going into the ocean, and the boat hangs out there for a long time.

Avoid Lanai unless you are looking to do absolutely nothing. And get a fuel efficient rental car. They only have 1 gas station.

Last edited: