OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

HBO Buys Second Life Documentary for 'Six-Figure Sum'

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by MJMANDALAY, Sep 19, 2007.

MJMANDALAY Registered User

Jan 26, 2005
    While you might have grown tired of news about what goes on in Second Life, this is one worth noting: HBO has purchased the North American television rights for "My Second Life: The video diaries of Molotov Alta" and decided to submit it for an Oscar in the Animated Short Subject category, according to its creator Douglas Gayeton. A trailer of the documentary is embedded below.

Alva is the SL avatar of Douglas Gayeton, an accomplished multimedia director, who now has secured representation with the talent agency UTA, one of Hollywood’s heavy-weight firms.

This deal is interesting for a number of reasons.

First, it seems to be a very well made documentary about a very timely topic. As one blog points out, it also appears to be the most high-profile SL-to-RL rights deal so far, leveraging Linden Lab's policy in which Residents retain the underlying intellectual property rights to content they create in-world. Also, it is, as far as I know, one of the first films with an avatar in the lead role and one that you can meet in an actual virtual world. Lastly, that entertainment companies such as HBO turn to virtual worlds as a source for new content it is a great example of how different mediums are blending together.

"My Second Life" explores different subculture within the virtual world, according to HBO, ranging "from Furries to Cyberpunks to Neo-Luddites to Sex Slaves to the King of the Hobos" and is set for release in 2008.