HBO Reportedly in Talks...just talks so far...About Watchmen TV Series

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
HBO Reportedly in Talks About Watchmen TV Series
Just talks at this point.
By Michael Martin

HBO is reportedly in talks with Zack Snyder to bring Watchmen to TV.

Collider's sources say that meetings have taken place between HBO and Snyder in regards to the DC Comics property. However, the site has no details about Snyder’s involvement or whether the series would be about the original graphic novel, the later prequel comics or even a sequel.

Snyder directed the 2009 Watchmen film, based on the critically acclaimed Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons comic book. Watchmen takes place in an alternate 1980s timeline, where superheroes have been outlawed or work for the government. It is known for its mature and graphic content. In 2012, DC Comics released a Watchmen prequel series of comic books called Before Watchmen.

Both HBO and Watchmen publisher DC Comics are owned by Time Warner, and Snyder has been heavily involved in bringing DC properties to the big screen. He is currently directing Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, set to hit theaters in 2016.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10...aign=Blogroll&abthid=560d99374c2565fa20000013

I can't wait as I understand it should be filled with needless sex scenes.

siliconsoul

Snarky Cunt
Aug 13, 2013
They should shut the fuck up, Before Watchmen was awful and a sequel is unnecessary because the ending was well done. I loved the movie but I'm not feeling this.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Boo. Part of what makes WM great is that it's a self contained story.

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Finally going to get the best part of Watchmen: The Gigantic Squid Monster.
I'll argue forever that the movie ending was better than the squid monster.

But lets not.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

But lets not.
I concur. Now let's switch gears before Piggy intrudes.

So guys, you want to know what I like? Iron Man.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I concur. Now let's switch gears before Piggy intrudes.

So guys, you want to know what I like? Iron Man.
The fact that BIV thinks the opposite of me is all the proof I need that I'm in the right. Dude doesn't even know what an action comedy is. Something like Watchmen is way the fuck over his head. Carry on with your whining.

Fun fact - Liddy likes Iron Man 3 more than Piggy!

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
The fact that BIV thinks the opposite of me is all the proof I need that I'm in the right. Dude doesn't even know what an action comedy is. Something like Watchmen is way the fuck over his head. Carry on with your whining.

The Kingsman is not a comedy. To be a comedy, it must be funny, not just over the top. There was more funny in Iron Man than the Kingsman.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I rest my case.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I stand with @BIV.

Only because I didn't hate the Mandarin reveal.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Anyhow, I would be interested in this show if Snyder wasn't involved. He did a beautiful job with the visuals, but he didn't really get the story, a pattern which has unfortunately continued in his post-Watchmen career. Shame, because I really liked his early films.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Anyhow, I would be interested in this show if Snyder wasn't involved. He did a beautiful job with the visuals, but he didn't really get the story, a pattern which has unfortunately continued in his post-Watchmen career. Shame, because I really liked his early films.
I don't understand this. If anything it brought the story together better than the books.

siliconsoul

Snarky Cunt
Aug 13, 2013
I love the squid but it would turn a live action Watchmen movie into a comedy.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Piggy wants an alien squid.
I never once said that. Poopy head.

@ruckstande Im not getting into the whole thing again, because folks like BIV just can't seem to get it, but try this: In your mind, replace "Squid" with "unknown threat", and replace "Dr Manhattan" with "known threat."

That's the simplest way I can explain it. Given the tension created throughout the story, an attack from a known threat would escalate the situation, because blame for the attack would eventually be assigned. Moore's basic story principle is that only an attack from an unknown threat would cause all the leaders of the world to pause and work together.

Think of 9/11: "we will make no distinction between the terrorists, and those who harbor them."

If you don't see how the entire thing falls apart, then I can't help you. And that's fine. Folks are allowed to interpret things differently. I simply don't share the opinion that Moore's story was flawed and needed to be changed. Again, forget the squid and think "unknown threat".

Last edited:

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005

But lets not.
I'm on the fence. The squid actually fits overall within the original story, but it was just going to be too much of a "What the fuck just happened?!" in the movie.

If they did it as a single season series/miniseries, I could actually see it not sucking.

I punched out after 50 seconds. What the FUCK was that?

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
I'll take 13 episodes of the comedian shooting knocked up Vietnam whores and shooting hippies with a shotgun.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
He also severely miscast half the movie. Malin Ackerman, Patrick Wilson, and Matthew Goode were WAY too young to be playing washed up, 40something middle aged crimefighters. I will give them credit for Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. They were perfect. Oh, and Crudup too, since you hardly get to see him in his "before" state.

I always felt they should have done this as a 10 (or however many) part series on HBO.