HD-DVD or BluRay?

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
Which way is the industry gonna go?? Which is "better"?
I might get one and I need input(wa-wa)

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If you ask me, nothing beats the crisp clean picture of my good old Beta-Max.

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
Is the PS3 the best way to go BluRay?

Is there a way to use a mouse and keyboard as controls for PS3? I'm SO used to that and not those game controllers.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Is the PS3 the best way to go BluRay?

Is there a way to use a mouse and keyboard as controls for PS3? I'm SO used to that and not those game controllers.
Yeah the PS3 is the best way to go about having a blu-ray players since it's internet enabled and you get updates over when they have upgrades to make things like the regular DVDs to look better and better upconverted to mimic 1080i

You can get a bluetooth remote control for the PS3 so it's like a regular remote.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Well Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD more than 5:1 since Microsoft just isn't pushing hardware and supporting their format.

Right now, Universal is about the only studio that doesn't put movies out on Blu-Ray. Everyone else does, and there are talks that Warner Brothers are going to bail out of HD-DVD all together instead of putting films out on both formats. WB is THE major studio pushing out most of the films and owning a lot of the classics they are also putting out on Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is the way to go. This isn't BetaMax 2.0, again they have the superior format but this time they are winning the market shares and not losing out to a shittier VHS.

Once you start watching Blu-Rays you won't want to buy DVDs. It's so much more vibrant and crisp on and HDTV

Shane1V

Eggnog Flavored Cum
Jun 8, 2004
Brooklyn
Yeah the PS3 is the best way to go about having a blu-ray players since it's internet enabled and you get updates over when they have upgrades to make things like the regular DVDs to look better and better upconverted to mimic 1080i

You can get a bluetooth remote control for the PS3 so it's like a regular remote.
Thanks Sam!

I wasn't referring to a remote though. I mean using a keyboard and mouse like when PC gaming. I hate the console controllers.

CrisK

Oct 4, 2004
Philadelphia
If you are a fan of movies and not formats, then you should get both. That is the only way to enjoy all movies in High Definition.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
If you are a fan of movies and not formats, then you should get both. That is the only way to enjoy all movies in High Definition.
That's good advice considering my bank account and my watch both say:

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Well Blu-Ray outsells HD-DVD more than 5:1 since Microsoft just isn't pushing hardware and supporting their format.

Right now, Universal is about the only studio that doesn't put movies out on Blu-Ray. Everyone else does, and there are talks that Warner Brothers are going to bail out of HD-DVD all together instead of putting films out on both formats. WB is THE major studio pushing out most of the films and owning a lot of the classics they are also putting out on Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is the way to go. This isn't BetaMax 2.0, again they have the superior format but this time they are winning the market shares and not losing out to a shittier VHS.

Once you start watching Blu-Rays you won't want to buy DVDs. It's so much more vibrant and crisp on and HDTV
^^^^^
What he said. In addition, Sony is also in the movie production business and has some of the biggest blockbusters. You'll never see Spiderman on HD-DVD. The biggest studio still in HD-DVD is Paramount, who also do a lot of TV shows as well. My recommendation would be to buy the PS3 now and buy a standalone player when they get below $100.

Maybe they'll get all this figured out and merge the hardware like they did when DVD burners came out and they had DVD-R and DVD+R competing.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Paramount only supports HD-DVD.
Negative, Paramount is multi-format. They put out films on DVD, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Universal is the only exclusive HD-DVD studio. I have a stack of Paramount Blu-Ray films :action-sm

[EDIT] I just read that Paramount committed to HD-DVD back in August. I hadn't know about it. Half of the Blu-Rays I own are Paramount though.

Fuck em, Blu-Ray is a better format. They will get burned in the end.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama

To your comment about BluRay outselling 5:1, no one argues that they are outselling but the amount that they are is very debatable. I have heard as little as 1.5:1 all the way up to 10:1.

And as far as Betamax 2.0, I wouldn't call HD-DVD a shittier format, it is just different. It would be nice not having to use 2 disks instead of one, but what movies are too long to put on one disk anyway? Even the 3.5 hour Return of the King cut can fit on one disk for either, HD-DVD would just have to have another disk for extras.

Philly loser

Wackbag Elder Statesman
Oct 12, 2002
Limerick, Pa
Dumb question from a dumb person - do HD-DVD and BluRay also play the old (whatever you'd call them) DVD formats? For example, if I have old DVD's or rent them from Netflix, will they play on these formats?

CrisK

Oct 4, 2004
Philadelphia
Dumb question from a dumb person - do HD-DVD and BluRay also play the old (whatever you'd call them) DVD formats? For example, if I have old DVD's or rent them from Netflix, will they play on these formats?
Yes, players from either format will playback DVDs.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Even the 3.5 hour Return of the King cut can fit on one disk for either, HD-DVD would just have to have another disk for extras.
Well you can put an entire TV season on one or two Blu-Ray discs with bonus features.

The HD-DVD sales have been a bit manicdepressive until recently. They will shoot up and then drop out and then shoot up again from month to month. Blu-Ray sales are a bit more stable with their rise. Not to mention they have about 100 more titles out than HD-DVD.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
I'm gonna be honest a second. I went with HD-DVD because that's where the sale was. I've never been a fan of Sony products, and now I have a Toshiba HD-DVD.

I'm praying for the HD-DVD to win the fight because that's the one I bought.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
Looks like sony has moved to capitalize . I'm not a gamer.. and I'm not buyin until I can play both.

This war is far from over.

I hate sony.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I'm gonna be honest a second. I went with HD-DVD because that's where the sale was. I've never been a fan of Sony products, and now I have a Toshiba HD-DVD.

I'm praying for the HD-DVD to win the fight because that's the one I bought.
Well the beast that HD-DVD has to overcome is the PS3 system that is pushing the Blu-Ray format. And as PS3 sales are going up, so will the Blu-Ray sales.

Microsoft FUCKED UP majorly by not allowing their 360 to play HD-DVD movies.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
If you ask me, nothing beats the crisp clean picture of my good old Beta-Max.
wana buy one? i have two. oh and i took the sony coolaid and bought a ps3 for the blue ray player, i made my bed now im stuck with it, im a little pissed that the ps3 doesnt support DTS though

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
I have one Bluray movie and honestly I couldn't see the difference between regular Goodfellas and the HD version. DVDs look just fine to me and they have 5.1 sound.

I know I will get lambasted over this but I am not an audio or video snob. I love HDTV, but I really can't see the difference between 480p and 1080i.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
you dont notice the differnece unless its on a huge screen, and it was orriginaly shot in hi def or direct transfer from film to 16:9 HD, a lot of times when a new format comes out they will just up convert an old print to the new format, were you will really see a differnece is either on discovery or the INHD channel, also network sports like monday night foot ball, you can see the faces of the people in the croud where as on regular tv, you only see blurs