Heavenly Sword

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
Surprised there wasn't a thread about the full release yet.

At least something good came out of my 360 dying, otherwise I may not have ended up buying this game. Yes, its short but its also one of the best games I've ever played. It really is like playing a movie. Andy Serkis, the guy who played Gollum and Kong, plays Bohan, an evil King, and he is one of the best villains ever. He was also the 'dramatic director,' yes I watched the 'making of' special afterwards, and it shows When all the cutscenes look like this, you sometimes forget you're playing a game.

The combat system is great too. You have a couple different stances once you get the heavenly sword and you block different types of attacks with different stances. Its hard to explain but the way that nariko moves is pretty amazing, hit triangle from a guy who is a couple steps away and she'll jump and transition into the attack seamlessly. Everything just flows really well. There are a couple parts where you use the sixaxis to guide arrows or cannonballs, you can turn that off and just use the analog sticks if you like, but I found them to be a lot of fun.

Although I still think that Gears has better graphics, this game blows it away artistically. GoW just had a bunch of boring and dull settings. In HS, you're in environments where you can see miles away.

The last boss battle is especially impressive as there are over 2000 enemies on the battlefield as you're fighting Bohan.

So if you don't want to spend $60, this game deserves at least a rental. I beat it in a day easily. Once you finish it, a hell mode is unlocked. You can also go back to any previous mission to try and score more style points in order to win more medals or whatever they're called and unlock extra content. Anyways, I'd have to say this is the most impressive next-gen game I've played yet.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
This type of game isn't the kind I normally play, but after seeing those screens and knowing you can beat it fairly quickly, I'm definitely going to have to rent it.

Is it like a button mashing kill-fest or more strategy oriented?

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
You can button mash if you like, which is what I would normally do, but I found myself actually defending and countering lots of attacks, learning and actually performing long combos, etc. You'll see. You definitely won't regret renting it. This is a game that someone could sit down and watch you play from start to finish.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
gamespot says its about 6.5 hours... i think im gonna wait until it becomes cheap either via used or total sales

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I just started playing this last night. I was gonna wait for a while before picking it up, but I was walking by the HMV near me and figured "I'm going to buy this anyways, I might as well get it now".

I'm glad I didn't wait. Artistically, it's the best looking game I've seen and the in-game cutscenes are some of the best. And I agree with Chlorofirm that Bohan is one of the best video game villains ever.

The default difficulty feels like it's on "easy", so I look forward to playing through on Hell mode once I get there.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The Hell mode has the mobs attacking more aggressively and tweaks their health.

Watch the anime before playing it so you get a good backstory on it all.

Graphically it's top notch with a few issues duing the in-game cutscenes.

I'm on the last chapter but suck against the super-Bohan.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
I didn't have any problems until the 3rd and final version of Bohan. I just kept using r1+triangle and a little square here and there. I got lucky.

You have to be really good at dodging the lightning and fireballs for any chance of beating him.

I'm on version 3 of Bohan. Got there late last night, hope to finish him today. I found myself say, "They cant kill Kai! NO! That chick RULES!!!...

You guys like Bohan as a villian, I think General Flying Fox is one of the best , creepy, characters ever.

He is so well done it amazed me.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
Ugh, flying fox really is such a creep. I loved Kai too, the way she moves and everything. This game has the best characters. From the very first scene where Bohan has Nariko's daughter, I liked him.

I think I'll start hell mode today.

Ugh, flying fox really is such a creep. I loved Kai too, the way she moves and everything. This game has the best characters. From the very first scene where Bohan has Nariko's daughter, I liked him.

I think I'll start hell mode today.
Did anyone notice, after you kill Flying fox, Roach has his fox's in his lap?

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
And I agree with Chlorofirm that Bohan is one of the best video game villains ever.
those are some strong words, are we talking like liquid snake, sephiroth, lynx, the boss, quality of villain? i might have to reconsider buying if thats the case, hell someone start a best game villains thread

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
those are some strong words, are we talking like liquid snake, sephiroth, lynx, the boss, quality of villain? i might have to reconsider buying if thats the case, hell someone start a best game villains thread
I think the claim stems from the strong dramatic elements of HS. In terms of dramatic presentation, it's probably one of the best. I imagine if FFVII had this graphic quality and presentation then Sephiroth would beat it probably.

jpc165

Through the Fire and Flames
Jan 6, 2004
Flipsville
i restrict myself to playing 8.5 rated games and above. i dont have enough time
for all the games rated any lower.

its a shame it does look good...

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
I think the claim stems from the strong dramatic elements of HS. In terms of dramatic presentation, it's probably one of the best. I imagine if FFVII had this graphic quality and presentation then Sephiroth would beat it probably.
i have a real hard time believing this beats sephiroth in any capacity, graphics or not. when i get some cash i will pick it up, and get back to you:arrrh:

i restrict myself to playing 8.5 rated games and above. i dont have enough time
for all the games rated any lower.

its a shame it does look good...
You are aware that the main reason this game got the score it did was because of the length, right?

It is 10 hours of SOLID gameplay. At the very least, rent it for the weekend. You will not be dissapointed.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
You are aware that the main reason this game got the score it did was because of the length, right?

It is 10 hours of SOLID gameplay. At the very least, rent it for the weekend. You will not be dissapointed.
Only 10 hours? That's good?:huh:

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
10 hours isn't good.. infact, it's awful. How can one really say how much time of gameplay from start to finish, as that's kind of a player dependent thing.. I've seen RPGs say, "Over 90 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY!" and then finish it in not even a third of that time.. not even for speeding through it.

If it's 10 hours, 6.5 sounds like a better guess. Rent it, Beat it, send it back.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I like games that are about 30-50 hours. More then that is overkill, but 10 is just bad.

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
Miami
10 hours isn't good.. infact, it's awful. How can one really say how much time of gameplay from start to finish, as that's kind of a player dependent thing.. I've seen RPGs say, "Over 90 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY!" and then finish it in not even a third of that time.. not even for speeding through it.

If it's 10 hours, 6.5 sounds like a better guess. Rent it, Beat it, send it back.
it really depends on the type of game. you can do god of war in that amount of time, hell you can do gears of war online with someone in about 4 hours, less if both are good. devil may cry games are also fairly short

Only 10 hours? That's good?:huh:
Thats to run through it once. Yes. If i play it twice it will be 20 hours.

Here is the thing...How many "Good" games make you return to previous stages and redo the same ol shit.

There is no revisiting stages in HS. I knew exactly what I was getting when i bought it. I wast disapointed when it was over. I just stared playing again, trying to unlock everything and get better.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
The game got points taken off for being short, having no multiplayer, and for having your character fight the same villain types.

It should have been more like Bioshock :)