OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Hebrew National not Jew-y enough?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mascan42, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/hebrew-national-kosher-hot-dogs-lawsuit-150637079.html

2. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

There's a simple solution to this: Stop following the Jewish dietary laws. If they did that, they could eat whatever you want. Then everyone's happy (except God, but that's His problem).

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

No, the solution is that if something isn't Kosher, it shouldn't be marked as Kosher. Same goes for vegetarianism, gluten, peanuts, seafood, and a million other things. This isn't about Kosher. It's about false advertising.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I have a feeling they're on to something. Hebrew National and ConAgra are probably too big in scale to keep strict kosher. There's a lot to it, and I doubt the illegal immigrants working a processing plant in Iowa give a shit about Jewish dietary law.

5. bill333

bill333 Go Screw!

This

6. Lord Zero

It wouldn't be a problem (in this instance) if no one ate Kosher.

7. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

That's a screwy way to look at it, since keeping Kosher is a choice. Advertising your product truthfully is a law.

8. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

This also wouldn't be a problem if everyone were vegetarian.

9. bb1mobile

bb1mobile wackbag's special mod
    Wackbag Staff

But dead animals are so yummy.

10. Lord Zero

I'm not saying that false advertising isn't fucked up or illegal. I'm just saying that religious dietary laws are retarded.

11. Badfinger

Badfinger I shot the sheriff

Hebrew National. Nearly Kosher. So tasty, even Christians love 'em.
    Except on Fridays in Lent and Ash Wednesday.

12. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Really? I mean, I don't keep Kosher, but it's one of the more harmless things about religion (aside from the one matter of certain kinds of butchery, which has pretty much been resolved to the satisfaction of everyone except hardcore PETA types). It's pretty much only a hassle to the people doing it, and zero hassle to the people who aren't. It also provides a niche market for small businesses, and the mechanisms that supervise the Kosher process. All in all, rather benign. I personally don't see any spiritual value to it, but if someone does, then good for them.

13. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I thought libertarians were all about live and let live as long as they're not infringing on your rights. Nobody's forcing you to eat kosher.

14. Lord Zero

I'm not infringing on anyone's right to eat Kosher nor am I advocating that the right to eat Kosher be infringed. I'm just judging the choice. It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that people follow religious dietary laws do so only out a desire to avoiding pissing off God and their community.

15. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

That's kind of the point of following religious restrictions.

Of course they came about in the days when eating those things would make one sick.

16. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

A Jew broad prejudiced against hot dogs in this day and age.

17. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

It just seems a bit hypocritical to be judgmental like that for a libertarian. There's a lot of libertarians that don't approve of the gay lifestyle but still think they should be afforded the same rights.

That's not the only reason. They came about as a way to ensure better handling of meat and other foods in a time when there was inadequate food preparation and storage means.

I think a bigger issue with this story is that most people sort of associate hot dogs with shit meat, so to try and position themselves as a "healthier" product (and to target non-Jews with this message) if they're really not is misleading. It'd be one thing if Morton's Kosher Salt was found to have been not properly "blessed" by some rabbi but we're talking about hot dogs.

18. Lord Zero

I don't see how that's hypocritical. Being judgmental has nothing to do with the state or the law. It's a matter of inconsequential personal opinion. There's a difference. I don't like people being denied employment because of their race or whatever, but I think it should be legal to do.

Fair enough.

19. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Im on my phone for the next two days so some other heathen post the video of the kosher slaughter house for me

20. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

No, because we've discussed ad nauseum how that isn't OK and the vast majority of Kosher places do it differently than that.

21. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'm also pretty sure the kosher slaughter method is designed to be as humane as possible.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

I'd say slitting of the throat versus bolt gun to the cranium is a toss up in the humane department. If anything, I'd say an animal would feel less pain getting its skull punched in.

23. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

True . . . slitting the throat makes you bleed out fairly quick, but you're still conscious while it happens. Getting Anton-Chigured is instantaneous.

24. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

I knew an old guy in the aluminum industry. When aluminum foil was developed and getting popular, a group of rabbis showed up and had a complete tour of a new rolling plant. They checked everything out and pronounced the foil kosher, or fit for kosher use, or whatever their term was. Next day the plant manager was walking through the plant and noticed Larry Lunchpail with a mop, rubbing it on a roller. Wat's dat? Oh, I lubes the primary rollers to make the foil go through without sticking. What do you lube it with? I found this here lard works best.

25. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I blame the Jews.