Hebrew National not Jew-y enough?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/hebrew-national-kosher-hot-dogs-lawsuit-150637079.html

Hebrew National hot dogs not kosher, lawsuit claims
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Sideshow – 20 hrs ago

Hebrew National—the hot dog maker that has long claimed to "answer to a higher authority"—is being sued by a small group of consumers who say the company's meats are falsely advertised as kosher.

According to Reuters, the lawsuit filed by 11 people in Minnesota against Hebrew National owner ConAgra Foods Inc. claims the company misled them in placing the "Triangle K" symbol on products that did not cut the mustard, so to speak, when it comes to standards for kosher labeling.

ConAgra, they say, was then able to charge premium prices for nonkosher meat.

AER, the Skokie, Illinois-based company that supervises the kosher slaughtering process, "did little or nothing" to address complaints that the meat processed for ConAgra was nonkosher, according to the lawsuit.

The plaintiffs, who are seeking unspecified damages, want class-action status for all Hebrew National U.S. consumers over the last four years, according to the news service.

AER dismissed the claims as baseless. And ConAgra, which also owns Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Peter Pan and Reddi-wip, said its hot dogs are kosher.

"While we can't comment on pending litigation," ConAgra spokeswoman Teresa Paulsen said in a statement on Monday, "we stand behind the quality of Hebrew National and its kosher status."

On its website, Hebrew National explains the "kosher difference":
For more than 100 years, Hebrew National has followed strict dietary law, using only specific cuts of beef that meet the highest standards for quality, cleanliness, and safety—so artificial flavors, colors, fillers, and by-products simply don't make the cut.
Hebrew National proudly serves products under the kosher supervision of the internationally recognized Triangle K organization. So, not only do Hebrew National franks have only the purest ingredients, but there is rabbinical supervision of the food preparation process and packaging equipment.
And what is "Triangle K" supervision?
The Triangle K symbol is a trademarked logo that signifies "kashruth" (kosher) as defined by the most stringent Jews who follow Orthodox Jewish Law. It's a symbol of integrity, representing the most trusted and reliable name in strict rabbinical food certification and supervision.
"We're not saying that they're passing off pork as kosher products," Hart L. Robinovitch, lead attorney for the plaintiffs, told the American Jewish World. "We went through the different elements and the different requirements for meat to be considered kosher. ... And based on our investigation, there were certain things that weren't conducted properly, in a systematic way—from the way cows were slaughtered, to the way the lungs were inspected or not inspected for imperfections—as is required to meet the standard that the meat is 100 percent kosher."

"This is an invisible fraud," Robinovitch told Reuters. "How does a consumer who thinks he is buying kosher meat really know he is buying kosher meat? It's a very, very difficult thing for a consumer to detect, unless someone investigates."

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
There's a simple solution to this: Stop following the Jewish dietary laws. If they did that, they could eat whatever you want. Then everyone's happy (except God, but that's His problem).

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
There's a simple solution to this: Stop following the Jewish dietary laws. If they did that, they could eat whatever you want. Then everyone's happy (except God, but that's His problem).
No, the solution is that if something isn't Kosher, it shouldn't be marked as Kosher. Same goes for vegetarianism, gluten, peanuts, seafood, and a million other things. This isn't about Kosher. It's about false advertising.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I have a feeling they're on to something. Hebrew National and ConAgra are probably too big in scale to keep strict kosher. There's a lot to it, and I doubt the illegal immigrants working a processing plant in Iowa give a shit about Jewish dietary law.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That's a screwy way to look at it, since keeping Kosher is a choice. Advertising your product truthfully is a law.
I'm not saying that false advertising isn't fucked up or illegal. I'm just saying that religious dietary laws are retarded.

Badfinger

I shot the sheriff
Apr 26, 2006
Philly Burbs
Hebrew National. Nearly Kosher. So tasty, even Christians love 'em.
Except on Fridays in Lent and Ash Wednesday.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm not saying that false advertising isn't fucked up or illegal. I'm just saying that religious dietary laws are retarded.
Really? I mean, I don't keep Kosher, but it's one of the more harmless things about religion (aside from the one matter of certain kinds of butchery, which has pretty much been resolved to the satisfaction of everyone except hardcore PETA types). It's pretty much only a hassle to the people doing it, and zero hassle to the people who aren't. It also provides a niche market for small businesses, and the mechanisms that supervise the Kosher process. All in all, rather benign. I personally don't see any spiritual value to it, but if someone does, then good for them.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I thought libertarians were all about live and let live as long as they're not infringing on your rights. Nobody's forcing you to eat kosher.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I thought libertarians were all about live and let live as long as they're not infringing on your rights. Nobody's forcing you to eat kosher.
I'm not infringing on anyone's right to eat Kosher nor am I advocating that the right to eat Kosher be infringed. I'm just judging the choice. It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that people follow religious dietary laws do so only out a desire to avoiding pissing off God and their community.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that people follow religious dietary laws do so only out a desire to avoiding pissing off God
That's kind of the point of following religious restrictions.

Of course they came about in the days when eating those things would make one sick.

Psychopath

Plata O Plomo
Dec 28, 2008
hell
A Jew broad prejudiced against hot dogs in this day and age.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I'm not infringing on anyone's right to eat Kosher nor am I advocating that the right to eat Kosher be infringed. I'm just judging the choice.
It just seems a bit hypocritical to be judgmental like that for a libertarian. There's a lot of libertarians that don't approve of the gay lifestyle but still think they should be afforded the same rights.

It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that people follow religious dietary laws do so only out a desire to avoiding pissing off God and their community.
That's not the only reason. They came about as a way to ensure better handling of meat and other foods in a time when there was inadequate food preparation and storage means.

I think a bigger issue with this story is that most people sort of associate hot dogs with shit meat, so to try and position themselves as a "healthier" product (and to target non-Jews with this message) if they're really not is misleading. It'd be one thing if Morton's Kosher Salt was found to have been not properly "blessed" by some rabbi but we're talking about hot dogs.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It just seems a bit hypocritical to be judgmental like that for a libertarian. There's a lot of libertarians that don't approve of the gay lifestyle but still think they should be afforded the same rights.
I don't see how that's hypocritical. Being judgmental has nothing to do with the state or the law. It's a matter of inconsequential personal opinion. There's a difference. I don't like people being denied employment because of their race or whatever, but I think it should be legal to do.

That's not the only reason. They came about as a way to ensure better handling of meat and other foods in a time when there was inadequate food preparation and storage means.

I think a bigger issue with this story is that most people sort of associate hot dogs with shit meat, so to try and position themselves as a "healthier" product (and to target non-Jews with this message) if they're really not is misleading. It'd be one thing if Morton's Kosher Salt was found to have been not properly "blessed" by some rabbi but we're talking about hot dogs.
Fair enough.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Im on my phone for the next two days so some other heathen post the video of the kosher slaughter house for me

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm not infringing on anyone's right to eat Kosher nor am I advocating that the right to eat Kosher be infringed. I'm just judging the choice. It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong) that people follow religious dietary laws do so only out a desire to avoiding pissing off God and their community.
Im on my phone for the next two days so some other heathen post the video of the kosher slaughter house for me
No, because we've discussed ad nauseum how that isn't OK and the vast majority of Kosher places do it differently than that.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm also pretty sure the kosher slaughter method is designed to be as humane as possible.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I'm also pretty sure the kosher slaughter method is designed to be as humane as possible.
I'd say slitting of the throat versus bolt gun to the cranium is a toss up in the humane department. If anything, I'd say an animal would feel less pain getting its skull punched in.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
I'd say slitting of the throat versus bolt gun to the cranium is a toss up in the humane department. If anything, I'd say an animal would feel less pain getting its skull punched in.
True . . . slitting the throat makes you bleed out fairly quick, but you're still conscious while it happens. Getting Anton-Chigured is instantaneous.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I knew an old guy in the aluminum industry. When aluminum foil was developed and getting popular, a group of rabbis showed up and had a complete tour of a new rolling plant. They checked everything out and pronounced the foil kosher, or fit for kosher use, or whatever their term was. Next day the plant manager was walking through the plant and noticed Larry Lunchpail with a mop, rubbing it on a roller. Wat's dat? Oh, I lubes the primary rollers to make the foil go through without sticking. What do you lube it with? I found this here lard works best.