Heineken Draught Keg

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
This fucking thing rules. It costs the same as a 12 pack, holds slightly more beer, takes up less room in the fridge and contains draught beer which is superior to the bottled product.

In case you didn't know, the little keg contains a CO2 pressurization unit which keeps the beer fizzy and fresh by maintaining the pressure inside the keg and preventing infiltration of any air. The beer will stay fresh for nearly a month although I don't need quite that long to drink a 12 pack :rolleyes:

Add to the benefits the fact that you have greater control over portions. Want a pint of beer? Have a Pint. Want 8 Oz? Have that! This was one of my favorite parts of having my Beverage Air kegerator unit, but now, I don't have to run two compressors just to keep my tap beer cold.

If you like Heineken at all, I strongly suggest you try one next time you go for a 12 pack.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I was thinking about posting a thread about it as well. I have had mine for a week and it fucking rocks.

I'm not an alcoholic so I didn't see the need to buy a beer tap and get myself a full-sized keg because I don't drink 8 gallons(pony) of beer a month.

But that little draft keg is perfect. It's just like having fresh milk in the fridge...except it's beer :)

Plus you don't have to deal with the glass bottles piling up in the trash clinking around.

I hope they keep it around instead of just having it as a little summer/football party thing.

Back in the 90s BECKS had little party kegs during the holidays (they still do along with other beer makers) but they weren't pressurized. It was more like having a fucking box of wine because it just had a little nozzle to hold down for beer to come out of. Those aren't as cool/good as the Heineken party kegs since they actually will stay fresh for a month

Deadhead

P.I.S.S. Card Holder #54
Jan 21, 2006
Pottersville, GA
Boy....

If only Guinness could get their shit together.

Wait, they did with their cans.

Back in my day, we had the Coors Light Partyball.
And wine coolers that really had wine in them.
And Schlitz Malt Liquor made Red Bull.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
hehe best thing ever was seeing someone try to drink right from a warm one that they just pulled out of their trunk, after a 20 minute drive. Hehehe never saw anyone shoot beer into their mouth and have it come directly outta their nose before hahahaahahaha

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im not a big fan of heineken, so im going to pass, but our local brew pub will sell a 5 gal "keg" but the deposit is awfull 100$ i have all the plumbing and shit for my beer Meister to convert it to take several small kegs, i want to get a few soda's and a beer, i just haven't gotten around too it, i actuality need to re do all my co2 lines because i used the wrong tubing for it, you MUST use either teflon or nylon gas hose because Co2 is corrosive

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
how the fuck are you getting this for 16.99 - 20.99 ???

I think they cost closer to 30 bucks.... they are delicious though :)

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
Not to be a party pooper but just because there's a CO2 cartridge in there it doesn't make it a draught beer. It keeps the pressure up on the beer which stops it out-gassing and ultimately going flat. 'Draft' here in the states usually means injection of nitrogen to an already flat beer, to give it that smoother, creamier taste.. the beer has to be quite cold for it work tho.

and to Deadheads point... Guinness's draft beer in cans tastes like fizzy piss compared to the real 'live' bottled pub Guinness beer. Bottled Guinees Stout designated for pub delivery is un-pasteurized, with still-live cultures in it that give the beer it's remarkable taste. It's not available to grocery outlets like that because it doesn't keep very long.. hence the pasteurized shit that we have to buy at the market. It's an old saying but the closer to Dublin you get, the better the brew tastes. All that said though... I'd kill for a pint now, I've got quite the thirst going. Cheers.

badorties

Jan 25, 2006
The Countertop Beer Cooler And Tap

The Countertop Beer Cooler And Tap.
This cooler holds a 5-liter keg and has an integrated tap that allows you to draw tavern-style draught beer with a creamy head from a kitchen countertop or home bar. An LCD shows the exact temperature of the cooler and adjusts at a touch of a button from 37 to 53 F, while a pressure gauge on the exterior of the cooler regulates the CO2 content and allows you to alter the carbonation to enhance the flavor and aroma of the draught beer. The device has AC and DC power adapters that allow for use at home or on a boat, and the lightweight yet sturdy design ensures ease of portability and years of reliable use. Includes instructional DVD, tapping and cleaning kits, three 16-gram CO2 cartridges, and an overflow tray. For use with 5-liter beer ke gs (not included). Accommodates a 340-gram CO2 cylinder (not included). 17" H x 15" W x 15" D. (16 lbs.)

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Molson released them here, called them Bubba's, nice and easy to drink, but gave you the shits come morning

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
I've got a nice little tower of empty Heineken kegs stacking up in the corner of my poker room. I love 'em. Got one in the fridge, and another I haven't opened yet. Heineken isn't my favorite beer, but I love the keg, and it's great for beer pong parties.

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
i used to get hacker-pschorr, DAB and a few other nice german beers in the 5 liter mini kegs. i've seen the heiney ones but i have yet to buy one. my problem with them is that if i tap the fucker i usually end up finishing the thing by myself.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
I've got a nice little tower of empty Heineken kegs stacking up in the corner of my poker room. I love 'em. Got one in the fridge, and another I haven't opened yet. Heineken isn't my favorite beer, but I love the keg, and it's great for beer pong parties.
yes yes and yes.

im a sam adams/guiness guy, but bud light when im feelin cheap

so a heiney is perfect for all fixes, but im not a huge fan, just an alchey!

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
I've been getting the Heineken mini kegs all summer for weekends down the shore. Beer tastes really fresh and as others have mentioned it doesn't take up alot of space in the fridge. I also like the fact that I don't have to contend w/the bottles and or cans for the friggin recycling bullshit of taking them to the recycling center.

I must've went thru about 5 of these things this summer down the shore, they were great. I asked the guy at the distributor I frequent down the shore and he told me they were selling really strong as the word got out over the summer. These things were going for around $26 down the Jersey shore.

Nortonsmeatytit

"That ball is outta here"
Sep 11, 2005
Philly
i used to get hacker-pschorr, DAB and a few other nice german beers in the 5 liter mini kegs.
I remember back in the late 80's German beers used to come in the mini kegs that weren't pressurized, they had a pump at the top. This beer was great, my friends and I would pick them up pretty often. A friend of mine is from Germany and informed me that the beer in these mini kegs was not really for "Export" and therefore wasn't "pasturized" as most American beers are. The taste was great. We used to get DAB kegs all the time.

Jambi

Infidel
Nov 29, 2006
FL
Not to be a party pooper but just because there's a CO2 cartridge in there it doesn't make it a draught beer. It keeps the pressure up on the beer which stops it out-gassing and ultimately going flat. 'Draft' here in the states usually means injection of nitrogen to an already flat beer, to give it that smoother, creamier taste.. the beer has to be quite cold for it work tho.

and to Deadheads point... Guinness's draft beer in cans tastes like fizzy piss compared to the real 'live' bottled pub Guinness beer. Bottled Guinees Stout designated for pub delivery is un-pasteurized, with still-live cultures in it that give the beer it's remarkable taste. It's not available to grocery outlets like that because it doesn't keep very long.. hence the pasteurized shit that we have to buy at the market. It's an old saying but the closer to Dublin you get, the better the brew tastes. All that said though... I'd kill for a pint now, I've got quite the thirst going. Cheers.
My girlfriend's favorite beer is Guinness, and she's been telling me for years that she only likes it on tap. I thought she was being nitpicky, but you make it sound like she knows what she's talking about.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm glad this stuff was posted. I've been wondering about these. I'm gonna have to grab one in the near future.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
how the fuck are you getting this for 16.99 - 20.99 ???

I think they cost closer to 30 bucks.... they are delicious though :)
At my local Shop-Rite, they're 16.99 on sale from 19.99 No Discount card needed.

It's my understanding that Draught beer refers to a beer that has not been pasteurized. Most all beers on tap use CO2 with one of the only exceptions being Guiness. That's why it has those nice tiny bubbles.

Ooh, here's the Wiki.

Keg draft

Main article: Keg beer

In modern beer dispensing, a metal keg is pressurised with carbon dioxide (CO2) gas or nitrogen (N2) gas or a combination of both. Pressure in the keg drives the beer to the dispensing tap, or faucet.

Pressurised CO2 in the keg's headspace maintains carbonation in the beer. The CO2 pressure varies depending on the amount of CO2 already in the beer and the keg storage temperature. Occasionally the CO2 gas is blended with Nitrogen gas. CO2 / Nitrogen blends are used to allow a higher operating pressure in complex dispense systems.

Nitrogen is used under high pressure when dispensing dry stouts (such as Guinness) and other creamy beers because it displaces CO2 to form a rich tight head and a less carbonated taste. This makes the beer feel smooth on the palate and gives a foamy appearance. Premixed bottled gas for creamy beers is usually 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2. This premixed gas which only works well with creamy beers is often referred to as Guinness Gas, Beer Gas, or Aligal. Using "Beer Gas" with more common ale and lager styles can cause the last 5% to 10% of the beer in each keg to taste very flat and lifeless.

[edit] Country differences

Draught beer is usually unpasteurised in America. It is intended to be kept refrigerated between 2°C (35°F) and 4°C (40°F), and consumed quickly after being "tapped". Above 6°C (44°F), a beer may within two days turn sour and cloudy. Below 6°C (44°F), a keg of draft beer should last 20-30 days before it loses its fresh taste and aroma.

In the UK draught beer is nearly always pasteurised. The term keg beer would imply the beer is pasteurised. Some of the newer microbreweries may offer a nitro keg stout which is filtered but not pasteurised, but the older established breweries do pasteurise.

Different beers also require different equipment for dispensing. For a detailed listing of brands and their respective keg taps and couplers, please see the Beer Brand / Keg Taps Couplers Listing
I think our little friend qualifies :)

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Feb 18, 2005
in a house
My girlfriend's favorite beer is Guinness, and she's been telling me for years that she only likes it on tap. I thought she was being nitpicky, but you make it sound like she knows what she's talking about.
your gf fav beer is Guiness... is she from the UK?

regardless, she already sounds like a good egg.

well about the Guiness she isnt being nitpicky... she does know what shes talkin bout.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Your girl is spot on. Tap > can/bottle

With my Irish blood, I take pride in my Guinness. :)

A pint from the tap is infinitely better (to me) than one out of a can or a bottle.
That being said, I'll never turn away a pint, no matter where it comes from.

And it could all be in my head, but every bar's Guinness tastes a little different to me.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
it does, depending on how much they sell the beer changes the longer that it sits, also they have to make sure they clean there taps, dirty taps makes awfull beer