Movie Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen - March 2019 (R-Rated Reboot) (Dir: Neil Marshall, Starring David Harbour)

Neon

ネオン
R-Rated Hellboy Reboot Movie Casts Stranger Things’ David Harbour

Hellboy creator Mike Mingola recently shared the news that a new Hellboy movie is in the works from The Descent and Game of Thrones director Neil Marshall. The film will apparently be a reboot of the series, as not only will Marshall replace Guillermo del Toro behind the camera, but the title role of Hellboy himself has been recast with none other than Stranger Things star David Harbour stepping into the part previously occupied by Ron Perlman.

No doubt the news will come as quite a surprise to fans as del Toro recently put the kibosh on any hopes of a Hellboy 3 after an outpouring of support for the director and star on social media led to him trying one last time to get a third film made. Where del Toro was unsuccessful Marshall was apparently not, as this reboot is apparently far enough along that it has gone and found a replacement for fan-favorite actor Perlman. The extent to which the project has progressed is largely unknown, however, as Mignola provided only the most pertinent details – that of director and star, obviously – but it does not go into detail as to the writer(s) or even the studio that is producing the film. Read his announcement below:

Neon

ネオン
Neil Marshall directing interests me.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Interesting casting choice, too.

"Who can we get who is like the poor man's Ron Perlman?"
David Harbour is the poor man's everyone.

I still want him to appear in Justice League though yelling at Amanda Waller. That would honestly raise the movie at least half a star in my eyes.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?

I still want him to appear in Justice League though yelling at Amanda Waller. That would honestly raise the movie at least half a star in my eyes.
The best I can do this season is 6.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Del Toro's version is dead forever. And hey, they made Batman work more than once so why not Hellboy?
Batman worked once, earning a second try. Also, Batman is...you know, Batman. This is the rough equivalent of a Spawn or maybe Blade reboot, which would get the same facepalm.

The facepalm is also for the R rated version. Not necessary for this property and seems like a desperation move to catch onto a "trend" that's not really a trend and also an excuse for when the movie tanks. The first two movies had respectable budgets of $66 and $85 million. GDT's version died likely because he was looking for $100 million to really take it over the top. The R rating means you're looking at a budget of $50 million at most, and likely less than that. Yeesh.

Neon

ネオン
Batman worked once, earning a second try. Also, Batman is...you know, Batman. This is the rough equivalent of a Spawn reboot, which would get the same facepalm.

The facepalm is also for the R rated version. Not necessary for this property and seems like a desperation move to catch onto a "trend" that's not really a trend and also an excuse for when the movie tanks. The first two movies had respectable budgets of $66 and $85 million. GDT's version died likely because he was looking for $100 million to really take it over the top. The R rating means you're looking at a budget of $50 million at most, and likely less than that. Yeesh.
Spawn reboot is already in the works, and that one makes way more sense than this one considering the first one is bad, whereas the first Hellboy is fantastic.

I also think you let yourself get bogged down in the business aspect too early. We found out about this 3 minutes ago and already you are trying to project what kind of production budget it'll get. I'm still a firm believer in "put the right people in place and have a good story to tell and it'll work out." So the first part of that equation is off to a promising start. Is there a big chance this will be awful? Of course! But there'll be plenty of time to talk about that if/when it happens.

Neon

ネオン
It's funny because his name also came up for Cable, and people were also talking about how Ron Perlman would have been perfect for Cable a while back.

Pigdango

Donator
"put the right people in place and have a good story to tell and it'll work out."
Should we go back to the early days of the Fant4stic reboot and see if everyone liked the choice of Josh Trank?

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Feeling sad. I was still kinda hoping Perlman would get another crack at it despite Del Toro's claim HB3 was 100% dead. Makeup would've covered up any additional age.

Neon

ネオン
Should we go back to the early days of the Fant4stic reboot and see if everyone liked the choice of Josh Trank?
Like I said - you'll always have time to bash it if it's bad. You could have had this exact attitude about Fury Road, for example. I know I was skeptical of it. I'm just saying that very few names would have made me give a shit about this at all.

Pigdango

Donator
Seems like Millenium Films is the production company making this film, which I believe means Lionsgate will be distributing.

Millenium is most famous for The Expendables and the "Has Fallen" series of masterpieces.

https://www.movieinsider.com/c265/millennium-films

They did well with their reboots of Hercules and Conan, so you know...feeling good about this one.

Pigdango

Donator
Like I said - you'll always have time to bash it if it's bad. You could have had this exact attitude about Fury Road, for example. I know I was skeptical of it. I'm just saying that very few names would have made me give a shit about this at all.
Coming to HitW in 2019!

Speaking of, you gonna be around on Thursday?

Pigdango

Donator
I'm out until like 9:45 PM. I should be around this weekend though.
I think we're targeting Nine Lives, but I've got a pretty sweet looking schock movie I'm going to try to talk Liddy into afterwards.

Maybe we can time it so that we can finish Nine Lives right around 9:45...

Neon

ネオン
I think we're targeting Nine Lives, but I've got a pretty sweet looking schock movie I'm going to try to talk Liddy into afterwards.

Maybe we can time it so that we can finish Nine Lives right around 9:45...
Nah I have an early morning Friday so I doubt I'll be up to it.

As much as I liked the Ron Pearlman Hellboy because of Ron's charm. I also equally didn't like the story/character changes from the comics.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Honestly, the only thing I want from Justice League is someone screaming at Amanda Waller "This is what we paid you for! What the hell?!?"

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
As much as I liked the Ron Pearlman Hellboy because of Ron's charm. I also equally didn't like the story/character changes from the comics.
The problem here, for me at least, but I have a feeling for a LOT of people, is that Perlman defined the role so successfully that it needs more time to pass from public consciousness. Well, the consciousness of those who would see a Hellboy movie...

Neon

ネオン
The problem here, for me at least, but I have a feeling for a LOT of people, is that Perlman defined the role so successfully that it needs more time to pass from public consciousness. Well, the consciousness of those who would see a Hellboy movie...
Where were all these indignant fans when the sequel was in the theater lol?