Movie Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen - March 2019 (R-Rated Reboot) (Dir: Neil Marshall, Starring David Harbour)

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Interesting casting choice, too.

"Who can we get who is like the poor man's Ron Perlman?"
I'd have said Ron Perlman WAS the poor man's Ron Perlman. Dude's got a couple of decent film credits, but only Hellboy as a standout starring role; mostly he's a TV guy.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
I'd have said Ron Perlman WAS the poor man's Ron Perlman. Dude's got a couple of decent film credits, but only Hellboy as a standout starring role; mostly he's a TV guy.
City of Lost Children was amazing

New ‘Hellboy’ Movie Will Be Bloody and Loaded With Practical Effects

Neil Marshall (The Descent) is directing and David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) is our new Hellboy in the upcoming feature Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, which will reboot the franchise with a brand new rated R adaptation of Mike Mignola’s comic books. And it’s going to be dark, gruesome and bloody!

Speaking with Mick Garris on the latest episode of Post Mortem, Marshall noted that he doesn’t intend on pulling any punches with his adaptation.

We’ve been granted permission to do it R-rated, which for me is just like taking the cuffs off,” he told Garris. “It’s like, okay, so now we can just make the movie we want to make. Nobody’s going to stop us. So, that’s the main [difference]. And I’m sure, obviously, the success of things like Deadpool and Logan have not hurt that cause. But, also, when you go back the original material, it is kind of bloody, so I’m going to embrace that.”

Marshall continued, “It’s definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.”

The Millennium Films project has already been scripted by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden, and Mike Mignola. It is being executive produced by Christa Campbell, Lati Grobman, and Carl Hampe.

Look for Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen in 2018.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?

Neil Marshall (The Descent) is directing and David Harbour (“Stranger Things”) is our new Hellboy in the upcoming feature Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, which will reboot the franchise with a brand new rated R adaptation of Mike Mignola’s comic books. And it’s going to be dark, gruesome and bloody!

Speaking with Mick Garris on the latest episode of Post Mortem, Marshall noted that he doesn’t intend on pulling any punches with his adaptation.

We’ve been granted permission to do it R-rated, which for me is just like taking the cuffs off,” he told Garris. “It’s like, okay, so now we can just make the movie we want to make. Nobody’s going to stop us. So, that’s the main [difference]. And I’m sure, obviously, the success of things like Deadpool and Logan have not hurt that cause. But, also, when you go back the original material, it is kind of bloody, so I’m going to embrace that.”

Marshall continued, “It’s definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.”

The Millennium Films project has already been scripted by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden, and Mike Mignola. It is being executive produced by Christa Campbell, Lati Grobman, and Carl Hampe.

I won't believe it until I see it which I probably won't because who cares.

I won't believe it until I see it which I probably won't because who cares.
I will just reiterate how happy I am that "practical effects" is now a selling point that many filmmakers take special care to note. This doesn't mean that practical effects = win (just look at all the duds from the 80s and 90s), but I couldn't be happier that we are slowly steering back that way (or more like a good hybrid approach).

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I will just reiterate how happy I am that "practical effects" is now a selling point that many filmmakers take special care to note. This doesn't mean that practical effects = win (just look at all the duds from the 80s and 90s), but I couldn't be happier that we are slowly steering back that way (or more like a good hybrid approach).
Because that's the new buzzword.

Because that's the new buzzword.
Of course it is, but

1. Buzzwords become buzzwords for a reason, most often because it's something people want; and
2. It's not the same kind of buzzword as "dark" or "gritty" because it isn't really open to interpretation. Your movie either has lots of practical effects or it doesn't. Ultimately a movie can have the coolest fucking practical effects and still be garbage.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Of course it is, but

1. Buzzwords become buzzwords for a reason, most often because it's something people want; and
2. It's not the same kind of buzzword as "dark" or "gritty" because it isn't really open to interpretation. Your movie either has lots of practical effects or it doesn't. Ultimately a movie can have the coolest fucking practical effects and still be garbage.
1 - yep
2 - eh...I think I gotta disagree here. I think people throw that shit out there because it gets folks like you excited, but a lot of times they don't always know whether what they are saying is true, nor does the audience. I forget what movie I heard about recently where the director thought he was going to have mostly practical effects and it turned out to be mostly CGI. Blade Runner maybe?

1 - yep
2 - eh...I think I gotta disagree here. I think people throw that shit out there because it gets folks like you excited, but a lot of times they don't always know whether what they are saying is true, nor does the audience. I forget what movie I heard about recently where the director thought he was going to have mostly practical effects and it turned out to be mostly CGI. Blade Runner maybe?
Definitely not Blade Runner. I'm avoiding the footage, but apparently it is very practical-heavy.

And it no longer gets me excited about any one individual movie. Star Wars was the one instance where it was personally important to me that it was done that way. Obviously I like when it is done but I'm sure I'll love Infinity War even though it'll be mostly CG. The thing that gets me excited is the trend. As far as fads go, this one is a good one. On the other end of the fad spectrum you have stuff like ten years of everyone trying to make The Dark Knight. So yeah, when I think of movies that we have coming down the pipe like Blade Runner and Dune and Seveneves and all sorts of shit like that, then the thought of them receiving more of an old-school level of SFX care is encouraging.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
1 - yep
I don't know which movie, but I agree with what you said. It's not hard to say 'we're using a lot of practical effects,' but it really depends on how the film is made and what is done with them. There were a lot of real props for BvS, but everything was overlaid with that CGI grey sheen. I wouldn't even call it a trend yet. In all reality, with maybe a few exceptions, there probably aren't that many more or less 'practical effects' used today as there were 10 years ago - it's just a) CGI has become better so it's harder to tell where the valley lies and b) it's become a marketing gimmick to get people excited. What was that ad where some beer touted the was it was made, except every beer was made that way?

EDIT: Even with the Star Wars prequels, it's not that Lucas shied away from practical effects, it's that his mission with the movie was to push CGI as far as it can go. It was essentially what Sin City did except horrible.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I don't know which movie, but I agree with what you said. It's not hard to say 'we're using a lot of practical effects,' but it really depends on how the film is made and what is done with them. There were a lot of real props for BvS, but everything was overlaid with that CGI grey sheen. I wouldn't even call it a trend yet. In all reality, with maybe a few exceptions, there probably aren't that many more or less 'practical effects' used today as there were 10 years ago - it's just a) CGI has become better so it's harder to tell where the valley lies and b) it's become a marketing gimmick to get people excited. What was that ad where some beer touted the was it was made, except every beer was made that way?

EDIT: Even with the Star Wars prequels, it's not that Lucas shied away from practical effects, it's that his mission with the movie was to push CGI as far as it can go. It was essentially what Sin City did except horrible.
In unrelated news, we just arrived for the 10:10 showing of Book of Henry...

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
In unrelated news, we just arrived for the 10:10 showing of Book of Henry...

Just watched the trailer. No idea why people aren't rushing out to see this greatness.

I've read almost all the Hellboy comics and they never struck as super bloody. They're certainly violent in the context of monsters mauling people, but nothing beyond the pale like stupid Crossed.

What I always liked about the Hellboy comics was the ghost story element to them. Where you find out why the monster is killing people, because sometimes the monster is justified to kill these people.

Chip Spackler

Donator
What I always liked about the Hellboy comics was the ghost story element to them. Where you find out why the monster is killing people, because sometimes the monster is justified to kill these people.
This was one of the best things about The Witcher.