Help a retard with wireless woes

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
The other night I once again noticed two people in my neighborhood using my wireless network and I'd finally had enough. I greedily googled around and thought I knew what to do. I did the following:

1. Went to the IP address (191.whatever.etc) for my router.
2. Entered the default Username/Password
3. Went to the administration tab on that website
4. Typed my desired password in twice
5. Everything died.

I'm assuming it's either something extremely simple, or I changed something that I shouldn't have changed. Do I just need to create a new network connection on my computer and put the password that I changed in somewhere?

I've got my Linksys router unplugged, but when it's plugged in the lights on the front come on one by one, they then start flickering, go out, and rinse and repeat. I tried doing a factory reset on it but it does not acknowledge it and just continues the blink fest. My computer also acknowledges the wireless spot, but is stuck in eternal "identifying" loop.

Last night my modem wouldn't even work when hooked directly in, but I left it unplugged all night and today it worked when I tried to hook right into it - it proposed to set up a new network name for the connection and all of that - what I figured would happen with the wireless router but hasn't.

The fuck did I do?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Did you unplug it and plug it back in?

Do you have a separate modem/router job or two separate devices?

Edit: I meant a combo device or two separate devices. Its been a weird day.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I was just trying to put a password on my network so that people would have to have it in order to use it. In all honesty I don't know exactly what I changed. I just went to the admin tab of that router site and it had two empty boxes for a password. I plugged what I wanted my new password to be in that box twice, set it to save, and the signal went dead.

I have a separate Comcast modem and a Linksys router.

I really should not have been messing with it since I don't understand it, but in the heat of the moment I was all "I'll show these fuckers!" and then had to eat crow the rest of the night.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I was just trying to put a password on my network so that people would have to have it in order to use it. In all honesty I don't know exactly what I changed. I just went to the admin tab of that router site and it had two empty boxes for a password. I plugged what I wanted my new password to be in that box twice, set it to save, and the signal went dead.

I have a separate Comcast modem and a Linksys router.

I really should not have been messing with it since I don't understand it, but in the heat of the moment I was all "I'll show these fuckers!" and then had to eat crow the rest of the night.
If you enable password protection you dont enter them yourself at first. They are automatically generated. Sounds like you crossed some wires in getting from point A to point B, you should be able to get back into the settings and fix what you fucked up with no problem.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
In the settings look for "restore to factory settings". Once it reboots, make a strong password.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
There should be a reset button that you can hit with the end of a paper clip or something similar to restore factory defaults.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Just putting a password on your router will not necessarily keep people out of your network. You need to enable and assign a wireless security key. Look for WPA or WPA2 settings and put the password you want in there. You still want to change the default router password, because otherwise people can get in there and change your settings.

Try a hard reset of your router. You'll probably need a paperclip and need to stick it in a tiny hole in the back of the router while (maybe) pressing and holding the power button. Google your exact model for specific instructions.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It sounds like you might have changed the password to access the modem's settings. Was there a security tab as well?

Can you get a connection through an ethernet cable?

Edit: Do the hard reset like suggested above. Once you do that, see if you can get a wireless connection. If so, go back into the router settings and let us know when you're at that step.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Try what is called a 30-30-30 reset. While plugged in, hold the reset button in for 30 seconds, while still holding reset unplug it and continue to hold for another 30 seconds, after 30 seconds plug it back in while still holding reset for another 30 seconds. After all this you should be able to log into the router and modify all your settings. If I were you I would also check the firmware version of your router in the Administrative Panel and see if there are any updates. If there are any updates I would make any changes just install the firmware and then after the firmware is installed I would then again perform the 30 30 30 reset.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
The whole factory reset thing isn't working. A friend of mine tried to help me with this last night and the factory reset is what he swore by. I tried it at least ten times for differing amounts of time, from 10 seconds to a minute thirty. I held the button in with a tooth pick I blunted the end of, but it just continues doing the whole blinking lights routine that it does when the button isn't even being held down and it continues the whole "identifying" cycle in the network and sharing center 'map.'

I've currently got my laptop connected directly to the modem, and that is working fine. I'm going to unplug now and see if it will let me do a factory reset tonight since I've had it unplugged for 24 + hours.

Thanks for trying to help the retard, I'll hopefully return with updated news.

(didn't see ruckstande's post while typing this - I'll also try that out.)

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
The whole factory reset thing isn't working. A friend of mine tried to help me with this last night and the factory reset is what he swore by. I tried it at least ten times for differing amounts of time, from 10 seconds to a minute thirty. I held the button in with a tooth pick I blunted the end of, but it just continues doing the whole blinking lights routine that it does when the button isn't even being held down and it continues the whole "identifying" cycle in the network and sharing center 'map.'

I've currently got my laptop connected directly to the modem, and that is working fine. I'm going to unplug now and see if it will let me do a factory reset tonight since I've had it unplugged for 24 + hours.

Thanks for trying to help the retard, I'll hopefully return with updated news.

(didn't see ruckstande's post while typing this - I'll also try that out.)
Make sure you are using a wired connection when you are doing any of this shit. Also, go into your network adapter settings and make sure tcp/ip 4 is set to auto.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I just plugged the router into power without doing anything else and it's doing the same thing already. There's seven lights on the front.

1-3 acknowledge anything plugged into the router
4 is a yellow light in the middle that says "reserved"
5 is what looks like a signal icon
6 is what looks like a planet with a ring around it
7 is the power

First the power will light up , then the wireless signal and the reserved light at the same time. This whoole time the power light is flickering, and they all go back out like five seconds later.

I tried to do the 30-30-30 reset and other than when it was unplugged from power the lights continued the same thing.

When the router is plugged straight to my laptop the planet icon joins in the blinking, but it all continues going out and starting over.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but could the reset button be stuck? I've reset it before with no problem, and the lights would do something similar - except they would only do it once and then be fine.

I'm not understanding why, when connected directly to the laptop, a browser won't let me into 192.168.1.1 - that goes direct to the router, right? Nothing to do with the internet at all.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Yup. Hard reset, change account pw on router, wpa2 password to prevent douchebaggery. Also, if you want to really fuck with people, hide the SSID. You can manually connect devices to a wireless connection that isn't visible if you know the name of the SSID.

You can also filter by MAC ID, so that only devices you specify can get in at all. Downside to that, it's a pain in the ass when people you have over want to get a connection and you have to tell your router to let them in.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I just plugged the router into power without doing anything else and it's doing the same thing already. There's seven lights on the front.

1-3 acknowledge anything plugged into the router
4 is a yellow light in the middle that says "reserved"
5 is what looks like a signal icon
6 is what looks like a planet with a ring around it
7 is the power

First the power will light up , then the wireless signal and the reserved light at the same time. This whoole time the power light is flickering, and they all go back out like five seconds later.

I tried to do the 30-30-30 reset and other than when it was unplugged from power the lights continued the same thing.

When the router is plugged straight to my laptop the planet icon joins in the blinking, but it all continues going out and starting over.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but could the reset button be stuck? I've reset it before with no problem, and the lights would do something similar - except they would only do it once and then be fine.

I'm not understanding why, when connected directly to the laptop, a browser won't let me into 192.168.1.1 - that goes direct to the router, right? Nothing to do with the internet at all.
Are you connected to oorts 1-4 and not the WAN?

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I feel really bad because I feel I'm coming off like I'm not actually trying these things, but I promise I am. I might just be failing at communicating things on my end.

I've tried connecting the laptop directly to the router via all of the ports allowed to me. I just tried the original set up again (modem to router, laptop to router) and it's still dead in the water.

The router just continually does the lights reset pattern even when I'm not doing anything with it. Is that why I can't get into it, because it keeps, what looks like, losing power for a second or two before the lights kick back on?

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
Based on what you have said it sounds like initially you logged into the web interface and changed from the default password, not the wifi password. This would require a restart and for some reason it is caught in and endless loop of rebooting. This would make sense why you cant reset it either.

If you know how to get to a command prompt in windows you could try to type in: ping 192.168.1.1 and see if you get a response while its doing its bootup. If you never get responses it may be gone, do try it at different times in the light sequence. Make sure you do this wired and on port 1-4 and not WAN.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
It said this the three times i tried it (once when the first light was coming on, once when they were all briefly on, and once when they all just went out:

Pinging 192.68.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out. x4

Four packets sent, 0 received, 100% loss.

Your reply sounds right to me, even though I don't really know anything about this. It fits the most with what I'm seeing and how unsure I am of exactly which password I changed when I got in there. What is the remedy to this? If I get another router will everything be fine?

--
\
To the post above, it still audibly clicks when I push the button in (though I guess it could still be stuck, just not all the way down), but I'll find something else to use for depressing little reset buttons.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
See if you can insert a needle and get the reset button unstuck. You should feel the button inside there "depress" or "click" inside the router when you press it. Or maybe you pressed too hard and broke the little spring mechanism inside on the switch.

Apr 30, 2011
CLT
It said this the three times i tried it (once when the first light was coming on, once when they were all briefly on, and once when they all just went out:

Request timed out. x4

Your reply sounds right to me, even though I don't really know anything about this. It fits the most with what I'm seeing and how unsure I am of exactly which password I changed when I got in there. What is the remedy to this? If I get another router will everything be fine?

--
\
To the post above, it still audibly clicks when I push the button in (though I guess it could still be stuck, just not all the way down), but I'll find something else to use for depressing little reset buttons.

If you can not get a simple response from it like ping it seems like it is fucked. It just happened to do this when it rebooted after you changed password setting. The switch is a simple switch that should only short when pressed, if it makes a sound when clicked then it should be ok. These switches can fail and appear to be pressed to the electronics, which could explain the weird light sequence. One way to tell if its working is if when you press the switch does it interrupt the light sequence, or does the light sequence continue.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

Request timed out. x4

--
\
I see a typo. Shouldn't the address for the router be 192.168.1.1? I think you are pinging the wrong address.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Kinda sorta related
Been having issues with Verizon DSL modem and/or Linksys router
2 separate units
2 hours on the phone with Verizon last week
And "Bob" got it working for about 12 hours
And that was only with a Cat5 cable from the modem , no router involved
Next day I had no dialtone on the home phone line
Verizon guy came out later and kinda got it back , but with a lot of noise on it
Next morning that had zero dialtone on it

I had enough
Picked up a Verizon hotspot thing today
And it's working well so far

Will be dropping DSL and the landline if it keeps working

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The other night I once again noticed two people in my neighborhood using my wireless network and I'd finally had enough. I greedily googled around and thought I knew what to do. I did the following:

1. Went to the IP address (191.whatever.etc) for my router.
2. Entered the default Username/Password
3. Went to the administration tab on that website
4. Typed my desired password in twice
5. Everything died.

I'm assuming it's either something extremely simple, or I changed something that I shouldn't have changed. Do I just need to create a new network connection on my computer and put the password that I changed in somewhere?

I've got my Linksys router unplugged, but when it's plugged in the lights on the front come on one by one, they then start flickering, go out, and rinse and repeat. I tried doing a factory reset on it but it does not acknowledge it and just continues the blink fest. My computer also acknowledges the wireless spot, but is stuck in eternal "identifying" loop.

Last night my modem wouldn't even work when hooked directly in, but I left it unplugged all night and today it worked when I tried to hook right into it - it proposed to set up a new network name for the connection and all of that - what I figured would happen with the wireless router but hasn't.

The fuck did I do?
Sooooo TG, how much kiddie pRon did your "2 neighbors" download? ;)