Help cure cancer/high five with your unused CPU cycles PART II (Folding@home)

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
lobofanina said:
You mean you actually got it work on an actual computer and not a shredder. I"m shocked.
It's not really that bad. I loaded Vista Ultimate on a couple of machines. No issues here - and no shredding required. Ant's hardware was actually too bleeding edge. That is what caused his issues. My Thinkpad R50p works just fine with it (and I did it as an upgrade, not a clean load).

I really don't see any compelling reason to use Vista. XP SP2+ works just fine, thanks. The new interface alone doesn't justify the cost.

I just completed my 10,000th WU. I'm also sniffing the underside of 2 million points now. :icon_mrgr

Be folding, people.

It was just a little joke. Anthony's main problem was going for the quad sli instead of dual crossfire at the time(now 8800's would destroy). ATI's driver support has been superior to Nvida's as far as Vista is concerned. I sure hope Anthony got a Core processor instead of an AMD chip though.

As far as Vista all the betas worked fine on my main rig I just haven't tried any of the final builds.

wheezy

lobofanina said:
As far as Vista all the betas worked fine on my main rig I just haven't tried any of the final builds.
I have the final MSDN build on two of my machines. They both work fine. And they fold OK also. And there is still no reason to use it.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
I just downloaded the F@h program on my PS3 and added Wackbag.com as my team name. I'm looking at the number cruncher they have on display on this thing and my PS3 is able to do in 1 hour what it took my Powerbook almost an entire day to process. That's crazy!

Anyways, I'm signed on with my PS3 ID: KingMob

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Does it keep track of individuals on the team and how much they've contributed?

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Here's a video clip if anyone is interested seeing what the PS3 version of Folding@home looks like:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/folding@home/clip-foldinghome-live-and-in-action-246171.php

MrBogey said:
Does it keep track of individuals on the team and how much they've contributed?
If you press the Triangle button on your Sixaxis, the drop down menu will appear. Select "information" and it will bring up your stats, your teams stats, and a bunch of other stats (CPU, OS, etc) via your browser. Although since it's new, it looks like the server is getting hammered right now.

MacBook

So I've got one of these Intel Core Duo macbook pro's ... and when I try to run the latest folding@home client, all I get is crap in the console window... any ideas?

Feedback said:
So I've got one of these Intel Core Duo macbook pro's ... and when I try to run the latest folding@home client, all I get is crap in the console window... any ideas?

what kind of crap?

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Feedback said:
just let it run. Did you download the smp client for intel multi processors? Thats the program running and it is showing the process in the terminal. It should show progress after a while if not look at users/yourname/library/folding@home/unitinfo.txt and it will tell you if it is running and how much progress it has made. and keep folding:action-sm

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Joined the team...changed my name from the default PS3. I realized that you can hit the triangle key while selecting the F@H icon and it'll let you set an auto-start.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
MrBogey said:
Joined the team...changed my name from the default PS3. I realized that you can hit the triangle key while selecting the F@H icon and it'll let you set an auto-start.
Yes, you have to set auto-start from the XMB icon. It makes for a great screensaver at that point.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Did you check the CPU stats for the PS3?

The PS3 is dominating in TFLOPs. I completed 1 WU and would have been on my third but my fiance shut the PS3 off when it was near finished with my 2nd WU by just hitting the main power switch. Luckily my fiance's doctor said the eye socket didn't fracture too badly.

The GPUs are still winning when it comes down to teraflops per cpu/gpu. If I was inclined to spend $600 on a blue ray video game system this would be neat. But for $600 you could get 3 ATIs 1950s and really bank some points.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
I'd say the main advantage for PC's running F@h would have to be the ability to run the program in the background, which is something that the PS3 doesn't do (thankfully, I'd say). For the PS3 it's all or nothing.

Since it is a game system first, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3 performance drop once the novelty wears off of the A.D.D. crowd. I've been running F@h constantly since downloading the program, but after this weekend, I'll probably just run it while I'm sleeping and turn it off when I go out.

And for those interested, here's the link for the CPU stats that Bogey was referring to:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Checked the stats. Folding@Home is about to break from TFLOPs to PFLOPs.

The PS3 is contributing almost 600 TFLOPs of that. Once the GPU market takes off I imagine the numbers will be staggering.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
MrBogey said:
Checked the stats. Folding@Home is about to break from TFLOPs to PFLOPs.
It could already be there. The website does admit that the count is a conservative one that may be underestimating the FLOP calculation.

wheezy

You guys can use your PS3s and GPUs. I'll stick with the basics. Regular desktops, servers, laptops - all shapes and sizes. I am using anything that will still run (that is over 1GHz). The key is quantity and the willingness to waste as much electricity as possible.

It's getting lonely at the top. When are the rest of you going to get serious and give me a bit of a challenge? :action-sm

I'm still waiting for WBL and his magic PC to join our quest for the top 100. Maybe he is just too fancy for us. :rolleyes:

lobofanina

What's your problem with current GPU client? I'm using Catalyst 7.2 and completed 62 WU so far, it seems to work fine for me. Are you trying to use Crossfire or just a single card?

lobofanina said:
What's your problem with current GPU client? I'm using Catalyst 7.2 and completed 62 WU so far, it seems to work fine for me. Are you trying to use Crossfire or just a single card?

yea i have crossfire. the dual gpu client gives me errors.

W

wuden

looks like you guys need more of your ps3 guys to start folding.
the ps3 should crank 900 ppd

looks like only a couple of you are above that.

also the core 2 duo ***** with the SMP client. i have my e4300 OC to 3.3 ghz and its pulling 1500ppd roughly depending on the wu i get. that 2610 sucks.

I

imwithstupid

I've got a question on this GPU client. Im running F@H on my dual core xeon CAD station(the only way Im in the top 10 btw). That machine also has a kick ass $2k video card in it. Can I do even more folding with the the gpu client on that?