Help cure cancer/high five with your unused CPU cycles PART II (Folding@home)

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
imwithstupid said:
I've got a question on this GPU client. Im running F@H on my dual core xeon CAD station(the only way Im in the top 10 btw). That machine also has a kick ass $2k video card in it. Can I do even more folding with the the gpu client on that?
If your video card is supported by the client it should work. keep folding people,top 100 is in view:icon_mrgr

I'll probably eventually participate in F@H with my PS3 after I've had a couple months to 'durability' test it.

Chew

I'll begin running this for the team on my mac's at work.

And jdk, there's no better way to test it's durability than running it at 100% when you're not using it

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
There's an updated F@h program available for the PS3. Version 1.1

It has a couple of minor interface changes and added an additional info/help button. But the biggest change is the increased folding speed. In version 1.0 the average time it took to complete a Work Unit was 8hr-8.5hr. Version 1.1 it has sped up to 5hr-5.5hr per Work Unit. That's huge!

I

imwithstupid

The PS3's are really cranking up the points. Good for the team, bad for my ranking. I have four cpu's running and it doesn't come close to the points one PS3 racks up.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
this version 1.1 for the PS3, is that the one it will download? I downloaded the first one I saw and then it ran an updater and got another one but did not see the version number. This one is taking about 8 hrs to do an WU.at 400000.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
weeniewawa said:
this version 1.1 for the PS3, is that the one it will download? I downloaded the first one I saw and then it ran an updater and got another one but did not see the version number. This one is taking about 8 hrs to do an WU.at 400000.
You will see "Version 1.1" in fine print on your screen when you start up the program. You're right in that it has gone back to the 8 hour average to complete a work unit. I wonder why I was getting 5 hour completion times a few weeks ago.

And be sure to add your Buddy List name on the PS3 Buddy List thread:
http://www.wackbag.com/showthread.php?p=1770606#post1770606

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I believe it is the size of the work units that determine the overall time it takes. I have seen a few different sizes on my other machines that take different amounts of time to complete. I don't have a buddy name to put on a list.
normmacdonald said:
sounds kinda gay
:action-sm :action-sm

W

WooHoo_guy

Im back in the "fold" after a hiatus from it.

Much better client than my last attempt to help out, really does take a back seat to everything going on and not noticeable even while gaming.

Top notch!

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
Bump. I guess we lost our sticky.

Be folding people. We're getting close to top 100.

I

imwithstupid

I had to drop one of my CPU's ~2 weeks ago. Down to three now. My laptop fan is crapping out and the part is NLA from gateway.

wheezy

Now that the sticky frenzy is over, I think it's time to put us back up on the sticky list. It appears we might be losing users and interest. :arrrh:

We did break 10,000,000 tho ....

wheezy

My last bump.

We're on page 4 and still no sticky. I think it might be time to pull the plug on this venture.

Who's with me? :icon_evil

TEXAS TRUCKER

Yay! Sigs are back!
Don't pull the plug. We are doing good work here. Keep those CPU's crankin'.

wheezy

I'll give it a few more days, but no sticky = I'm outta here. I'll find another team that appreciates the effort.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
I think the scoring got screwed up for a few days. I had a -6000 points one day. Nice ....
It's a conspriacy, maaaaaan. :icon_mrgr

Nice to see you're still with us. I'm still contributing my drop or two into the bucket. :)

What rig(s) are everyone using to get their fold on? I'll start:
1. Q6600 at 3.3ghz and 480fsb using p35-dq6 motherboard 2gb ram 3.1TB worth of hard drives. Folds SMP units, runs firefox, utorrent, videos, and the odd game.
2. Pentium D 2.8 915,512mb ram. Folds SMP units and that's it
3. Pentium 4 HT at 3.3ghz and 880FSB, 1950 pro agp 512mb, 512mb ram, 400gb. Folds GPU units Downloads torrents, occasional web browser
4. Pentium 4 2.93 533FSB 1.5gb ram Folds GUI regular work units, plays small games, word processing, and internet.
5. Celeron 2.8 400FSB. 1.5 mb ram Fold GUI regular work units, internet, videos, word processing

Off and On boxes

1. P3 1ghz 512 mb ram Fold GUI regular work units
2. AMD Athlon 950ghz 512mn Folds GUI regular work units

Post your own, let's get in the top 100 teams overall.

Forgot
6. Pentium 4 2.4 533FSB Folds Regular GUI work units and plays underground O&A + R&F mp3s using winamp while I drift off to beddy bye.