Help cure cancer/high five with your unused CPU cycles PART II (Folding@home)

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
Forgot
6. Pentium 4 2.4 533FSB Folds Regular GUI work units and plays underground O&A + R&F mp3s using winamp while I drift off to beddy bye.
Mostly dual 3 GHz Xeon processor IBM Intellistations and Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers. Lots of them ....

C

Conoeman125

Awesome man, superb idea! Thank you sir.:clap:

haider254

I used to fold the pimprig team a couple years back, but a format renders a background application forgotten!!!

Just installed it again a couple of hours ago and am now on the wackbag team :icon_razz

I haven't switched off this computer in the last 2 years apart from the odd holiday here and there, should have really had it folding all the time, might even throw it onto my little brothers machine!

wheezy

I used to fold the pimprig team a couple years back, but a format renders a background application forgotten!!!

Just installed it again a couple of hours ago and am now on the wackbag team :icon_razz

I haven't switched off this computer in the last 2 years apart from the odd holiday here and there, should have really had it folding all the time, might even throw it onto my little brothers machine!
Wecome aboard!

Be prepared for your machine to throw off a lot of heat and use a lot of power. It's not really a problem in the winter, but it's a real problem in the summer. I don't run any heat in my basement in the winter at all. There's no need for it.

haider254

Wecome aboard!

Be prepared for your machine to throw off a lot of heat and use a lot of power. It's not really a problem in the winter, but it's a real problem in the summer. I don't run any heat in my basement in the winter at all. There's no need for it.
Flipping F@H icon keeps disappearing from my taskbar :(

Yeh, would have been a huge issue a month ago, F@H+Projector=ceiling fan can't keep up

Hmm, well, I suppose I don't need it in the taskbar for now

wheezy

Flipping F@H icon keeps disappearing from my taskbar :(

Yeh, would have been a huge issue a month ago, F@H+Projector=ceiling fan can't keep up

Hmm, well, I suppose I don't need it in the taskbar for now
Use the console version, it's much less intrusive. I have instructions on how to do it somewhere earlier in this thread (hmmm... or maybe it's in part 1 of the thread). If you have a dual processor, dual core, or hyperthreading machine you can run multiple copies of the program to get more points.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Use the console version, it's much less intrusive. I have instructions on how to do it somewhere earlier in this thread (hmmm... or maybe it's in part 1 of the thread). If you have a dual processor, dual core, or hyperthreading machine you can run multiple copies of the program to get more points.
here it is:

You have two options:
1. Turn off Hyperthreading in the BIOS. Then you can use all 100% on one process. I wouldn't recommend doing this since it is not as efficient.
2. Run multiple processes on your machine.

Here's how you run multiple processes:
1. Download the console client (FAH504-console.exe).
2. Create a separate directory for each process (a single Xeon can run two).
3. Copy the client to each directory.
4. Open a DOS prompt in the directory.
5. Run this command line: FAH504-console.exe -local -configonly
6. Set the options as the come up. The most important one is 'start as a service'. Each process needs it's own Machine ID, so make them different.
7. Repeat in the other directory (or directories)
8. Reboot the machine or start the services in the Control Panel (under Administrative Tools -> Services). You will see a FAH entry. Just start it by right clicking on the entry and hit 'Start'.

One of my machines is a quad Xeon server, so I have 8 folding processes running on it.

If you want me to post the exact settings that I use to config my machines, let me know and I will. I'm too lazy to post them right now.

- wheezy

greensnacks

Congrats to Wheezy for turning 3 million!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

wheezy

Thanks .... :D

We might need to recruit a few more people. It appears that we stopped gaining ground on a few other teams.

greensnacks

I got a cancer scam email the other day. Perhaps a bit OT, but I felt compelled to share:

"PayPal, Unicef and Red Cross decided to help a ten years old boy named Garry Hemminger who is suffering by a horrible dessiess, leukemia. He needs an urgent marrow transplant. The treatment and the surgery costs are high, somewere around 210.000$.
... blah blah
... Donate account: xxxx@invalid.domain

wheezy

I added an extra processor to two of my machines (they were singles, now they are duals). That should give us a few extra points per day.

"Perhaps a little more than that, Jim."

Be FOLDING people.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Wheezy, thanks for all your help. I'd be folding more, but somehow I think it would be futile to get my ancient PC up & running. Also, I wouldn't have the faintest clue about how to do it.

wheezy

Wheezy, thanks for all your help. I'd be folding more, but somehow I think it would be futile to get my ancient PC up & running. Also, I wouldn't have the faintest clue about how to do it.
The slowest machine I have running is an old 733Mhz Compaq desktop. It all adds up.

If you need help setting it up, feel free to PM me.

I

imwithstupid

I was down one CPU for the last few months. Just got it back folding tonight. I've fallen back out of the top 10 to #17. Hopefully Ill move back up.

wheezy

It officialy cold enough to go into Winter Folding mode. The heat is off in my basement and there are plenty of machines running. I have kicked it into overdrive (7000+ points/day) and it's time the rest of you did the same.

Be folding people. :icon_mrgr

It officialy cold enough to go into Winter Folding mode. The heat is off in my basement and there are plenty of machines running. I have kicked it into overdrive (7000+ points/day) and it's time the rest of you did the same.

Be folding people. :icon_mrgr
Nice Work!
I was off for a while, started up again

greensnacks

i'm gonna hit a million and reconfigure my clients to help ELO out :action-sm

Then again, if those secretaries figure out why their puter is always pegged at 100%, then it may take a bit longer ;)

Aero 1

i just threw myself in the team yesterday. got a ps3 just to watch movies so in its spare time, its folding. shot up 100 places in a day

angrybeerguy

Whatever it Takes
Just got a new computer with vista on it. I keep getting download errors when it is downloading the core. What version should I use? Thanks