Help cure cancer/high five with your unused CPU cycles PART II (Folding@home)

I

imwithstupid

Just added a PS3 to the mix. I'm sitting at #11, hope this moves me back into the top 10.

S

Statix

Shouldn't all the new Playstation 3s out there, with the Cell processor, be accelerating this process and research progress to an insane degree? That's what I assume is happening.

I

imwithstupid

It has for me. My work units and score have skyrocketed since I put the PS3 online. I've jumped from occasionally being inthe top 20 producers to consistently #7 with just adding the PS3.

I bought a PS3 the other night, and forgot to add Wackbag's team number... It's set up now, so I'll be adding my PS3 to the mix, too.

invisible76

Hating YOU since 1976
As a biochemist who works on this type of stuff you can't understand how valuable this resource is.

Granted, all this CPU time is helping ONE scientist's research. And he does TECHNICALLY get money from it...the more papers he publishes on results from the FAH project, the more grant money he can reel in from private and public sources. With every grant comes some salary AND helps him ensure lucrative job offers from other institutions which Stanford will counter-offer since THEY TOO get a cut of the grant money he pulls in.

Nonetheless, it's still a useful project and at least SOMEBODY is benefitting.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
[CASEY KASEM]And moving into the Top 10 this week, after two days on the charts, with a whopping 3 WUs completed...[/KASEM]

:icon_roll

...I'm actually on the list? Is it 15 people total? lol

Oh, yeah. My PSN ID is R7i1c3K - Add me.

Shouldn't all the new Playstation 3s out there, with the Cell processor, be accelerating this process and research progress to an insane degree? That's what I assume is happening.
By default, Folding@Home doesn't run automated, unless you press the triangle button on the icon and hit "auto-start after xx minutes". See, the problem was, like me, I didn't know about that until just a few days ago. I kept leaving the machine on, and forgetting to start the program.

By the way, PS3 users: Folding@Home has been updated to v1.31.

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
Wheezy did a lot of your machines go down?
Maybe a few. I guess I need to check. Thanks for the warning shot. :icon_mrgr

Hehe ... I'm sniffing the underside of 4 million now....

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I am going to have to call it quits. my home was broken into and 3 of 4 folding machine and my ps3 were stolen. along with most everything else I own.filthy dopers

Fuckers!!!:arrrh:

I'm very sorry. Thanks for everything. :clap:

I was wondering what was up with your points lately, it seems like only yesterday when you blew right past me all the way into 3rd overall.
:(
Brendan (lobofanina)

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I hope to get a 8 core Mac Pro (or 12 core if they come out) later this year and will be running again.

F

FWP

Wish I woulda known, but I've got a machine I built putting out 1760 points a day, but it's for the mustangworld.com team. Had I known, I would have joined this team.

You can change teams whenever you want. Hint Hint. Points don't transfer from one team to the next though, you just start back at zero with the new team. But your overall points stay the same.

I've been basically out for the last couple of days. We had a major electrical problem in my apartment building that fried both of my PCs motherboards, as well as my cable modem and router.

Getting on the internet and folding has been kind of hard, since I have to find a new place to live for my wife and kid before I brutally beat my landlord down.

I'll try to resume as soon as possible.

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
Where did everyone go? It's been a while since the last post....

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
Folding@Home on PS3

Okay, I thought I saw a thread about this on here, but can't find it. Is there still a Team Wackbag? I want to join it if there is one. I need a team # and stuff.

If there isn't one, anyone want to make/join one?

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
Rock on...thanks for finding it for me.

btw, Team Wackbag is in 121st place out of 131,584 teams

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
I can join in too if that will help bump us up a little more.