Help cure cancer/high five with your unused CPU cycles PART II (Folding@home)

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
OOOh, I wanna join. I downloaded Folding but never used it. how does it work?
You just run it from XMB and it will probably update itself and restart the first time...then you just turn off the tv and walk away...or, if you want, you can have it play music from your HDD.

CRKhead

Douche Satchel
Hey... need another PS3 for the team?

Messaged LZMF1 about it, but, obviously, I found the thread with the info right after I sent the message. Let me know team number and such if you'd like another member. CRKhead is the PSN name as well if you want to add me.

What the hell does "writing checkpoint files" mean? On the text-only console it does this shit all the time... for each step it completes, the program will be writing checkpoint files 2-3 times, sometimes. And when it starts this checkpoint shit, it seems to take forever to complete a WU.

And why does my PS3 seem to be doing shit lately? It used to produce a LOT of points.

The Godfather

Spark it up for The Godfather and say!!!!!
Shouldn't they have cured some sort of cancer or shit by now?

That folding at home used to be REAL popular in the early 2000's. You would think SOMETHING would have happened

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
I'm still here....

... and I just hit 6 million. :icon_mrgr

It does seem that we are in quite the downward spiral. We were ranked in the 112-116 range for a long time. Now we are 136.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
... and I just hit 6 million. :icon_mrgr

It does seem that we are in quite the downward spiral. We were ranked in the 112-116 range for a long time. Now we are 136.
Maybe I'll install in on my work PC. I changed jobs over the summer so there went that PC. That might help a tiny tiny bit.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
I'm still processing on my PS3...and my home computer is being a faggot, so no dice there

T

timp64

I picked up a PS3 durring christmas time......got it for a bargain with a playstation card rebate thing. Anyway it's crunching over 1,000 points per day. It's sad to see that most aren't helping like they were.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
If I'm not playing a game or watching a movie on it, my PS3 is crunching stuff. I've done like 270+ complete units. I forget how to check the scoreboard though

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
If I'm not playing a game or watching a movie on it, my PS3 is crunching stuff. I've done like 270+ complete units. I forget how to check the scoreboard though
To check the stats on the PS3, go to the main F@h screen, then hit triangle button, then select "Current Channel", then select "Information" and the stats menu will show up.

I'll send a reminder to the new PS3 owners on how to join the Wackbag team.

T

timp64

I picked up grand theft auto 4 off of ebay for 20 bucks and I've gotten addicted to it so my #'s took a dive the past few days. Damn that's an addicting game. I think I'm about done with the main story line in like 3-4 days. Right at 60% complete.

Signed up and crunching for the bag team. I might be able to get a few machines up eventually.

Elaborator

Condoleeza Flied Lice
Bumpin for the cause. I'm about to hit the top 100 for Wackbag's team (hooray for me!). We are down to #146 as a team. I would love to see some processors come back to life.

drought2112 is the man racing up the charts.

wheezy

Three right turns make a left.
We lost our sticky

...so I'm punching out. It's been fun, but all good things must come to an end. Expect my production to go to near zero (or maybe I'll end up on another team).

:action-sm

Bobobie

I had this on three of my computers, I was on the DL.TV team tho. I ran it for a few months then for the heck of it monitored it to see how much it was stressing my CPU's. I decided that maxing out both cores all the time wasn't any good for them. It was actually over-heating the CPU in my HTPC. The GPU, and both cores were in the red. The GPU hit 90C before it shut down. I did the @home Seti thing for a while and it didn't stress my computer like this thing did.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
how much cancer has this cured so far?
This is something that is still YEARS away. Gene therapy for cancer treatment has the potential to be a much better method than the scorched earth methods we use now (chemo/radiation).

Just an FYI Life with Playstation was retired in the new update and Folding@home was retired with it.