Help me Jew my cable

Ari Shaffir

Dec 4, 2006
Hollywood
I don't understand where this is supposed to go. It doesn't seem like it should be on the "friends and guests of the show." So I'm putting it here.

Ever since I've lived in this apartment, I've had free cable. Every time it's gone out in the 5 years I've lived here, some angel goes down and plugs everyone's cable back in. That way nobody gets caught. But this time it went out and it's been 10 days and I'm starting to fear that the cable fairy has moved out of my building.

So I went down there to see if I could do it myself and there are these weird caps on the sockets where the cables are supposed to plug in. These caps don't unscrew and they make it so that the plug can't touch the socket.

If anyone knows how to get around this problem, I'd love to hear it.

I'm reaching out to you, the degenerate Opie and Anthony listener, to help keep an honest Jew from having to forsake his heritage and actually pay for something. No one wants that.

Cha94

Open up your mind, pick up your brain
Aug 12, 2003
Leesport, Pa
There's a switch for it in the shower.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
if you can find which cable is yours just plug it in any of the empty slots there

Ari Shaffir

Dec 4, 2006
Hollywood
I found my cable. But those slots don't work. They're just flat on the inside because it's a cap and not the actual slot. The ones with cables already in there are shorter because they don't have caps on them. Those are the fools who pay.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
You could look on the Interweb or e-Bay for a cable tool to remove such cap. Or you could slip the cable guy a few bucks to hook your shit up on the DL, that is, if he isn't some Nazi skinhead.

Ari Shaffir

Dec 4, 2006
Hollywood
All the info you need, including what tools will help out immensly, can be found here
That made me laugh. It was such a switch from what I was hoping for and what it turned out to be. Not helpful at all, but a solid response nonetheless.

oppie1

Excuse me sir, could you get my piggies?
May 30, 2003
Pottstown, Pa
Yeah. I think that's my next step. I just wish someone knew an easy way to get those off, because I think pliers aren't gonna work and is just gonna screw up the sockets.
pliers will not work on those.. you need a plunger tool. they're locks so people cant steal cable. thats the whole point of them. i have a tool (since i work for the cable company) and no you cant borrow it

fuckwit

Jul 27, 2006
jersey
Yeah. I think that's my next step. I just wish someone knew an easy way to get those off, because I think pliers aren't gonna work and is just gonna screw up the sockets.
i dont know what the tool actually looks like but it probably screws on. conceivably maybe you could go to a hardware store and buy a couple nuts to screw on there and lock them up then use it as a pliers grip

oppie1

May 30, 2003
Pottstown, Pa
i dont know what the tool actually looks like but it probably screws on. conceivably maybe you could go to a hardware store and buy a couple nuts to screw on there and lock them up then use it as a pliers grip
will not work.. they're made up of 2 pieces that spin independently from each other. you need a tool that goes down the middle hole and locks in the inner spinner to unlock it

but everyones assumptions on how to get them off are comical :)

fuckwit

Jul 27, 2006
jersey
will not work.. they're made up of 2 pieces that spin independently from each other. you need a tool that goes down the middle hole and locks in the inner spinner to unlock it

fucking cable company. ok splice into your neighbors line screw this contraption.

its wierd that they dont use these in my building. comcast must not give a shit

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
Just so you know...

Those thin plugs where you can't plug your coax cable into are used by cable companies to they can detect if someone is using their cable when they shouldn't. If you untwist the plug, it will signal the cable company that someone is tampering with the line (due to a drop in attenuation on that splitter) and they'll dispatch someone to find out who did it.

So someone has clued them in on your appropriation of their service. Also, there's a large fine if your caught stealing their service...but then I Am Not A Lawyer...just an engineer who knows how these things work.

-h

oppie1

May 30, 2003
Pottstown, Pa
Just so you know...

Those thin plugs where you can't plug your coax cable into are used by cable companies to they can detect if someone is using their cable when they shouldn't. If you untwist the plug, it will signal the cable company that someone is tampering with the line (due to a drop in attenuation on that splitter) and they'll dispatch someone to find out who did it.

So someone has clued them in on your appropriation of their service. Also, there's a large fine if your caught stealing their service...but then I Am Not A Lawyer...just an engineer who knows how these things work.

-h

Just
that is only true if they're addressable taps... comcast here in the Philly region does not use addressable taps so that is not true for here..

those do not look like addressable by the looks of the pics and the values... so that doesnt metter here

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Oct 13, 2004
Masshole

yeah, i'm getting great comic relief from this thread too.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
that is only true if they're addressable taps... comcast here in the Philly region does not use addressable taps so that is not true for here..

those do not look like addressable by the looks of the pics and the values... so that doesnt metter here
If they are addressable taps it wouldn't matter if you connected your cable to them, they'd be shut off.

oppie1

May 30, 2003
Pottstown, Pa
If they are addressable taps it wouldn't matter if you connected your cable to them, they'd be shut off.
exactly.. they will be able to tell the terminator was taken off, but the tap port wouldnt be hot till they turned on. they cannot tell onunaddressable taps that yout took a terminator w/ a 75ohm resister off of it.

its a moot point anyway