Help me pick a laptop, please

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Nov 8, 2002
East Islip, NY
My sister needs to get a laptop for a new job. Blah, blah....Apple is out due to the place she's going to. Now, I'm not a fan of laptops, but of course, she's asking me anyway. So far, I've got it down to Toshiba, HP or Asus as a brand, an i5 or i7 as a processor, needing a VGA output for projectors a DVD burner, 6-8 GB RAM and (here's the kicker) a dedicated video vard since her last motherboard crapped out so now some guy at Best Buy got it in her head to NEVER get an intergrated video card.

Any thoughts?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Why not find out what they use, and go from there?

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Allow me to clarify my statement: Why not find out what their company standard is for laptops, then go from there? Maybe they get a good price from a vendor. If the company requires her to have a laptop, let them spend the money on it, and be responsible for licensing software. Don't bother spending money that doesn't need to be spent.

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Nov 8, 2002
East Islip, NY
Allow me to clarify my statement: Why not find out what their company standard is for laptops, then go from there? Maybe they get a good price from a vendor. If the company requires her to have a laptop, let them spend the money on it, and be responsible for licensing software. Don't bother spending money that doesn't need to be spent.
She'll be teaching at a community college...trust me, there ain't no money to go around and since it's a community college, I'm thinking anything above a Speak N Spell is a step up.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
She'll be teaching at a community college...trust me, there ain't no money to go around and since it's a community college, I'm thinking anything above a Speak N Spell is a step up.
Before you rush into purchasing something, take a look at what discounts are available to her. She probably gets the same or better deals that students get. She can check with the school's Financial Aid department as well as individual manufacturers. Sometimes the only proof she needs is a .edu email address. Also don't let her buy any program (especially a Microsoft program) without checking with the school first. I have over 50 Microsoft programs available free just because I'm a student, and massive discounts on other programs.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Hardware discounts are only 75-100 dollars. The real deals are the software discounts, $20 for MS Office or $65 for Windows 7 Student Edition.