Help me pick out a bass guitar

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I don't know a lot about bass guitars, but I know the sound I want. I like a lot of low end boom and a midy sounds. Not a fan of the slap bass high end "ting" sound you'd get with a jazz bass.

But I do like the thinner neck jazz basses are known for.

My budget is $450 max. That's the price of a Fender P bass. Which I think I'd dig because I like Fender guitars. Plus, Colin Greenwood from Radiohead use one (one in his collection obviously).

The sound I'm looking for is Radiohead, Interpol, Hooverphonic, Portishead, Gorillazs.

Please let the suggestions begin.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Look into Dean. Dean has very good quality guitars and basses for decent prices.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com
Cool. I'll put it on my list of brands to test.

I've vaguely recognize the brand Dean. And that's for not recommending Steve Kingston.:action-sm

Keep your suggestions coming. I need all the opinions I can get.

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
A buddy that I jam with bought a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee model. . . It's more than $450, but I think you'll like the sound. Check it out.:action-sm

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
I had a Fodera when I was in HS. Parents bought it for me and it was custom. Great, subtle sound. I used to play Metal, Rock, Jazz Fusion..... Not sure what they run nowadays, but I always recommend them when someones asks.

www.fodera.com

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
Sep 27, 2006
staten
years ago my friend "borrowed" a $1200 5 string jazz bass from a guitar store, we preceded to get piss drunk that night and a swung it around and dropped it in the middle of the street...

he wasnt too happy

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
I don't know a lot about bass guitars, but I know the sound I want. I like a lot of low end boom and a midy sounds. Not a fan of the slap bass high end "ting" sound you'd get with a jazz bass.

My budget is $450 max. That's the price of a Fender P bass. Which I think I'd dig because I like Fender guitars. Plus, Colin Greenwood from Radiohead use one (one in his collection obviously).

The sound I'm looking for is Radiohead, Interpol, Hooverphonic, Portishead, Gorillazs.

For $450 you're not getting a true Fender P. It's a Squier model Fender P, made in Mexico with cheaper wood and cheaper pickups.

That said, my first bass was a Squier P and I beat the hell out of it and it was great.

After a few years, I graduated up to a standard American made Precision and I fucking love it.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
For $450 you're not getting a true Fender P. It's a Squier model Fender P, made in Mexico with cheaper wood and cheaper pickups.

That said, my first bass was a Squier P and I beat the hell out of it and it was great.

After a few years, I graduated up to a standard American made Precision and I fucking love it.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-P-Bass?sku=517886

The Squier ones run about $250 or less on Musician's Friend. My cousin who is a professional Jazz guitarist told me that he wouldn't talk to me about guitar anymore if I bought a Squier guitar. He said tey are utter shit. Don't stay in tune, necks warp easily.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-P-Bass?sku=517886

The Squier ones run about $250 or less on Musician's Friend. My cousin who is a professional Jazz guitarist told me that he wouldn't talk to me about guitar anymore if I bought a Squier guitar. He said tey are utter shit. Don't stay in tune, necks warp easily.
You should have seen the neck on my Squier, with extra heavy strings!

but it's still a decent bass for the price, and a good place to get started.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Actually for flexibility, get something like an Ibanez with both a Jazz and P-Bass style pickup. Something like the SR (Soundgear) series, either the 300 or 400 series are good and priced within your range. The necks are going to be closer to the Jazz bass dimensions. If you can find a 500 series on sale in your range, that's even better.

Among my guitars and basses, I have both Fender and Ibanez. If I had to limit myself to just one, it would be the Ibanez for its versatility.

LiL JJ

My Eva pic's more gooder!
Jun 14, 2005
Philly

I play a dean metalman v. Most of the deans have that really metal look though. It's a cheap model but it plays great and the neck doesn't move much even with me tuining from standard all the way down to drop c.

Traben's a pretty cool, under-rated company to check into too.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York

Not entirely true sir. $450 is the going rate for the standard issue Fender P-Bass which is I believe, made in Mexico. The Squier is like $250 and is made from cheaper wood with cheaper pickups.

Here's the link to the Sam Ash website. Notice Squier actually shows up as a different brand now.

LiL JJ

My Eva pic's more gooder!
Jun 14, 2005
Philly
Not entirely true sir. $450 is the going rate for the standard issue Fender P-Bass which is I believe, made in Mexico. The Squier is like $250 and is made from cheaper wood with cheaper pickups.

Here's the link to the Sam Ash website. Notice Squier actually shows up as a different brand now.
Squier and gretsch and believe it or not jackson are a division of fender as epiphone is a division of gibson and daisy rock is a division of schecter. They're essentially the same companys under diffrent names. There are however Fenders made in the Squier mexican factory they just bear the fender brand rather then the squier brand. don't ask why cause that I can't explain.

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
Actually for flexibility, get something like an Ibanez with both a Jazz and P-Bass style pickup. Something like the SR (Soundgear) series, either the 300 or 400 series are good and priced within your range. The necks are going to be closer to the Jazz bass dimensions. If you can find a 500 series on sale in your range, that's even better.

Among my guitars and basses, I have both Fender and Ibanez. If I had to limit myself to just one, it would be the Ibanez for its versatility.

QFT

I also have an ibanez....Has a great sound

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
Squier and gretsch and believe it or not jackson are a division of fender as epiphone is a division of gibson and daisy rock is a division of schecter. They're essentially the same companys under diffrent names. There are however Fenders made in the Squier mexican factory they just bear the fender brand rather then the squier brand. don't ask why cause that I can't explain.
Hmm...fooling the consumer! I want my Fender made in Corona, California! Even if it's probably assembled by mexicans.

That said, I want my next bass to be a Rick.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Actually, they started making the Mexican Fenders at least 20 years ago. Squire is a lower end brand. So it went Squire < Mexican < American. Before that, the mid-priced Fender-branded guitars were Japanese made. The Squires are mostly Asian-made - Korea, etc. with cheaper materials than the Mexican guitars.

BUT, there was a fire in the American factory that forced them to move production of the American guitars to the Mexican factory for a time, along with much of the production equipment. Those guitars generally have no country stamp on them. The Mexican stamped guitars made during that period were some of the best bargins around since they were made alongside of the Standard models. The Mexican models tended to be more traditional, while the American models got the newer innovations -updated bridges, nuts, controls, etc.

The industry is kind of similar to the automotive industry. There were a lot of different individual brands that got bought up and brought under a common umbrella. Fender now owns Guild, Gretsch, Hamer, Ovation, Jackson, Charvel, etc. But its some times hard to know what is a good brand and what is bad because at different periods, the names have been applied to both high end and low end guitars.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
Oh, and the other thing. Definatly buy it from a store, not online. Accessories you can buy anywhere, but the bass itself you should go to a store and buy.

Dec 3, 2005
I would really like to hear the geddy lee ones, and i'm not a big rush fan.

Best thing to do is probably go in a guitar store and mess around with some. Tell them what kind of sound you want.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
Meet the newest member of the cokelogic family. The Ibanez SRX509

Don't mind the mess behind it, this is where the magic happens.