help with my laptop

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
my buddy recently gave me his old laptop. its a dell latitude c840 and after tons of work i finally have everything working. well almost everything. i can't seem to get the volume icon in my tool bar, and the computer doesn't have any buttons on it to change the volume. am i missing a driver, or do i need to change a setting, i am really lost on this one.
thanks in advance for any help.

hypes

Flying over your heads
Sep 23, 2004
Iowa
Somewhere on the bottom of the Dell laptop will be a "Service Code". The best choices are: go thru Dell's shitty registration serivce and you'll be able to access all the drivers for that available for that laptop, or Google the device product name and hopefully you'll find the drivers you'll need.

I'd suggest doing the former then the latter advice... if your worried abour security then just fill in fake information.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
if you go to the control panel you should be able to change the sound settings. I think there is a box you can check in the there that will place the icon in the system tray. I'd check it for you, but I'm using vista and not sure if the settings are the same.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
if you go to the control panel you should be able to change the sound settings. I think there is a box you can check in the there that will place the icon in the system tray. I'd check it for you, but I'm using vista and not sure if the settings are the same.
thank you very much. i was looking for something like that, i must have passed right over it.

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
just be sure to check the age of the "models" in the photos you save on your hard drive, PeeWee. :icon_wink