Help!

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Recently aquired a 2000 Chevy z71 with 255k on it. Already fixed a ton of little shit, but have a serious brake issue. At speed when you hit the brakes, no matter how lightly or gradually, the truck shakes violently. Feels like it's coming from the front end somewhere, and it's sorta like a jackhammer almost, shakes the dash and feels like the thing is going to come apart. Also, if your on dirt and push the brakes hard enough for the abs to activate it doesn't do it.
So far, tried unhooking the abs, no change, replaced pads and rotors on the front. Rear looks ok, didn't fuck with it. Suspension seems tight, no issues with loose steering or weird noises. One guy suggested maybe air in rmthe system fucking with the abs? I'm stumped.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Recently aquired a 2000 Chevy z71 with 255k on it. Already fixed a ton of little shit, but have a serious brake issue. At speed when you hit the brakes, no matter how lightly or gradually, the truck shakes violently. Feels like it's coming from the front end somewhere, and it's sorta like a jackhammer almost, shakes the dash and feels like the thing is going to come apart. Also, if your on dirt and push the brakes hard enough for the abs to activate it doesn't do it.
So far, tried unhooking the abs, no change, replaced pads and rotors on the front. Rear looks ok, didn't fuck with it. Suspension seems tight, no issues with loose steering or weird noises. One guy suggested maybe air in rmthe system fucking with the abs? I'm stumped.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Holy shit, this sucks. Posted the thread twice and triple posted? Something very wrong here. :(

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
stupid board x3 post...
That's usually warped rotors, but you say you have replaced them.
Found this post
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/110146-truck-shakes-when-brakes-applied/ said:
I'm heading to bed... so i'll throw this out there in case you do have aftermarket wheels.

99.99% of the time people put aftermarket wheels on a vehicle they forget to take the retaining washers off of the wheel studs. These washers are put on to keep rotors and drums in place on the assembly line and otherwise serve no functional purpose. OEM wheels have a chamfer on the back side to allow them to sit flush with the hub. Most aftermarket wheels do not have this chamfer... so they don't sit flush with the hub; and this results in a vibration when the brakes are applied.

So if you have aftermarket wheels on there... make sure these retaining washers are removed from front AND rear rotors/drums. Here's an image that shows a hub with retaining washers on two of the studs:
Also Air in the brake lines is def a possibility..

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Update! Had the tires rotated, and while it was on the lift discovered a bad A arm bushing, bought a new A arm ($69 with bushings and ball joint installed already) put it on and didn't fix it.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
Update! Had the tires rotated, and while it was on the lift discovered a bad A arm bushing, bought a new A arm ($69 with bushings and ball joint installed already) put it on and didn't fix it.

ysr50

Donator
Apr 20, 2012
Bearings, it's all bearings these days.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
Try pulling the ABS fuse if you haven't
Worked on my 2000 Silverado
Your symptoms seem a little more violent than mine though
Been running mine without it for a few years now with no issues