OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Here Comes The Boom- Kevin James Becomes a UFC Fighter To Save His School

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by LiddyRules, Aug 25, 2012.

1. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

There are very few actors I hate. I don't even have particular animosity towards Rob Schneider or Nick Swardson. But there's something I utterly despise about Kevin James. Here's the trailer for his new movie.

I mean

2. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

"What are you teaching these kids if you go through with it?"

"What am I teaching them if I don't?"

He makes a good point.

3. God Loves Fags

God Loves Fags A clear and dusty day in June

Joe Rogan's been talking about this movie on his podcast for a long, long time. I guess he was involved in it as a consultant or he might have a bit part or something. He said Kevin James trained like an animal and totally changed his diet. It's interesting how we get movies like this in 2012, and in the 70s they made movies like Raging Bull. Why the fuck would we need a family comedy fighting movie? And enough with Salma Hayak already.

4. LiddyRules

Rogan was also in The Zookeeper so I guess he and Kevin James are makeout buddies.

Ok. Where do I start...

Raging Bull came out in 1980, but I guess it might have been filmed in the 1970s so whatever, I'll give you a pass.

What also came out in 1980- Smokey and the Bandit II, Airplane!, Caddyshack, Cheeck and Chong's Next Movie, Flash Gordon, The Empire Strikes Back, Any Which Way You Can, Robert Altman's Popeye, Xanadu, The Shining, Urban Cowboy, Oh, God! Book II, Mad Max, Motel Hell, Friday the 13th, Herbie Goes Bananas, Fame, The Blue Lagoon, The Blues Brothers, and Oh Heavenly Dog.

Guess what. Different movies appeal to different audiences. Not everybody wants to watch only serious, intense dramas. Unless you think every movie every made should use Raging Bull as their guiding point.

(And also guess what, if you look around you can find intelligent, well-made movies that came out in 2012. It's not that hard!)

Now be a dear and say "they don't make shows like All in the Family anymore!"

5. God Loves Fags

Tee hee!!

I suppose I meant, Raging Bull was a movie about a fighter, and so is this, and De Niro famously transformed his body for that role, and Kevin James apparently did the same for this. But this is a glossy, feel good family dramedy about inspiring children, with some laughs at what an oaf the main character is.

Raging Bull was an honest portrayal of masculinity, with all of its flaws, and it used the fighting profession as a way to bring the theme of masculinity out more sharply. But in 2012, we get a doofus who tries to make kids feel good? Raging Oaf?

6. LiddyRules

And Christian Bale transformed his body for The Fighter. And I heard good things about Warrior, and I'm sure Tom Hardy and the other guy lifted weights. Seth Rogan slimmed down for The Green Hornet.Jared Leto gained weight for Chapter 27.

I honestly don't get your point. Yes. Family comedies are different than dramatic biopics. I don't really know what you're expecting. Should people not change their physique for a family comedy?

7. God Loves Fags

Kevin James sucks. Boxing/fighting movies shouldn't be family comedies. Raging Bull was awesome.

I think that's all I'm saying.

8. LiddyRules

9. MTJonny

MTJonny All my posts come with a free smile
    Donator

Tough words from the pre-30's #4.

10. God Loves Fags

Well at least those aren't uplifting and 'message-y.'

11. LiddyRules

What about Rocky?

12. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

I don't think it looks THAT bad. That stupid movie about George Zimmerman with Ben Stiller looked incredibly more stupid compared to this.

13. God Loves Fags

Not a comedy though.

14. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I see why people attack me for being "melodramatic" about movies.

He was just trying to make a simple remark that the movie doesn't look so good. Calm down.

15. LiddyRules

Stupid comedies I can accept. Stupid comedies can be funny. This cannot be funny or good or likeable or entertaining in any fashion, shape, or form.

I'm not the maniac here. I'm not the one going "what's the deal with The Apparition. Remember when they made Easy Rider?"

16. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

Kevin James might be type-cast and this may be his way to show he has some range.

17. SOS

SOS ONA
    Wackbag Staff

Henry Winkler was on Monday's O&A show to promote this and his book.

18. LiddyRules

I saw this for free. Terrible. I also dislike Kevin James as an actor. He's not funny. He's a guy who's been told he's funny, so he thinks he's being funny.

19. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I happened to watch the Zookeeper recently. Parts of it were filmed on my street in Boston and I was super bored so I thought what the hell. Wow. I just don't get people who find that shit funny. I did easily spot the parts that I saw being filmed, though, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

20. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Oh, come on. He's fat and has been voluntarily filmed on a Segway. You don't much funnier than that (unless you're anyone who's not Kevin James).
    Yes it was.

21. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

Let's shit on this dumb movie and say, why couldn't them make an intelligent movie about UFC!

They did, it was called "Warrior" it was my favorite main stream movie last year and in its entire theater run it barely made more then Here Came The Boom made in its opening weekend. So if you have anyone to blame for crap like this being made it's yourself if you didn't go see Warrior.

And if you still haven't seen Warrior it's on Netflix streaming. If you have a brother or even a single friend in the world and if you don't feel at least a little misty eyed during it, you don't have a soul.

Stormrider666 likes this.
  22. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Here comes the blech.

SOS likes this.
  23. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I agree with everything you said about Warrior.

24. transit grinder

transit grinder Baglin' with the Sex

I liked King of Queens and I'm still not a fan of his movie work.

Though I think I've only seen Kevin James and Friends, Kevin James Works at the Mall, and Kevin James Pretends to be Gay.

Everyone wants to be Jim Varney.

25. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I don't understand the hate for Kevin James. I have an extreme hate for Jack Black, and refuse to see any movie with Tom Cruise or Jonah Hill so can understand an irrational hate for actor.