High School girl told to cover up her lesbian T-shirt, ACLU now involved

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
RICHMOND, Va. -- A lesbian high school student says she was asked by a teacher to cover up a lesbian-themed T-shirt or face suspension, and now a civil liberties group has taken up her cause.

Bethany Laccone, 17, said she was asked to cloak a logo of two interlocked female symbols while attending a hotel management class this month at I.C. Norcom High School in Portsmouth. She's a senior at nearby Woodrow Wilson High School, where she has not faced a similar ultimatum.

In a letter sent Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia asked Norcom administrators to remove any mention of the incident from Laccone's records and agree not to similarly censor other students.

ACLU leaders want administrators to clarify that students can express political views. The school's dress code prohibits "bawdy, salacious or sexually suggestive messages."

The ACLU gave the school until Jan. 11 to respond or face further action.

"What's happening to Bethany Laccone is a clear-cut case of unconstitutional censorship," said Kent Willis, executive director of the Virginia chapter.

School officials did not respond to repeated messages left by The Associated Press. However, Joseph L. Wiggins, the district superintendent's executive assistant, told The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk that while he didn't know what Laccone had been told, "The concern could be that we are training students to go out into the business world."

After Laccone's teacher asked her to cover the shirt, she said she zipped up her jacket. One week later, she again wore the bright red shirt, which she said is her favorite.

Laccone said her teacher again asked her to cover her shirt or go to the assistant principal's office. Once there, Laccone said she was given a choice.

"I could either zip up my jacket, turn my shirt inside out, or get suspended," said Laccone, who covered the shirt, but told her parents what had happened.

According to the ACLU, administrators later told Laccone's father the shirt had upset a conservative instructor and interfered with her ability to teach.

In Thursday's letter, they argue the T-shirt "intended to convey a particularized, political message that lesbian identity should be celebrated and is a source of pride."

Laccone said she just wants to wear her shirt.

"I don't feel like I should have to hide my sexuality," she said.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
I could go either way with this. If she's a hot lipsick lesbian, I'm with the ACLU. Is she's an ugly butch dyke, the school is in the right

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
im loosing faith in the ACLU, fuck that bull dyke, how about, defending my right to kill attackers

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Yeah, fuck those commie faggots in their AIDS infected asses.

Any Civil Rights organization that fails to support the Second Amendment is worthless.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I will always side with the school on these types of issues. School safety/harmony > personal rights.

Push your issue in college.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
Freedom of speech is as important as the right to bear arms. I wish the ACLU would support gun rights, but I'm glad they support free expression.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Lesbos are okay in my book. Fags on the other hand are just plain creepy.

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
She may be a bigger girl, but she's still alright in my book. I stand on the side of the ACLU in this case.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fatty attention whore, take the shirt of you cunt

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Feb 15, 2005
Elkton, MD
She may be a bigger girl, but she's still alright in my book. I stand on the side of the ACLU in this case.
I'd only support the ACLU in this instance if they were alright with someone wearing a shirt with an opposing view.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
she should go around topless, all the lezbo stuff would be forgotten, they would just be offended

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Freedom of speech is as important as the right to bear arms. I wish the ACLU would support gun rights, but I'm glad they support free expression.
But once again, none of that stuff matters. You don't have all of the basic rights on school property and students have even less. The right to free speech gives way to order and discipline in schools, as it should be. Your not at school to "make a point", stupid. Sit down. Shut the fuck up. Learn. Go be a fat lesbian on your own time.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
[The assistant principal and the teacher then told Laccone that the shirt violated a section of the school dress code that bans “bawdy, salacious or sexually suggestive messages.[/quote]

That's from the article ... I'm guessing that the two overlapping female symbols constitutes a sexually suggestive message? It can't be bawdy or salacious, so it's got to be suggestive.

What's even more confusing is the kid said she's worn the shirt to school before and never had a problem with it. What was different this time?

I agree that kids don't have "rights" while on school property. They're there for a reason - to learn - not to make a point that they're comfortable with who they are or whatever. But this case might fall on a slippery slope...if it wasn't objectionable before, why is it now objectionable?

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
the shirt had upset a conservative instructor
THIS is the real problem here. Whiney fucks. :icon_roll

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
What's even more confusing is the kid said she's worn the shirt to school before and never had a problem with it. What was different this time?
I agree that kids don't have "rights" while on school property. They're there for a reason - to learn - not to make a point that they're comfortable with who they are or whatever. But this case might fall on a slippery slope...if it wasn't objectionable before, why is it now objectionable?
She wasn't on school property...at least, not the same school she attends every day.

attending a hotel management class this month at I.C. Norcom High School in Portsmouth. She's a senior at nearby Woodrow Wilson High School, where she has not faced a similar ultimatum