Hike/camp @ Assateague island

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
So, I have been wanting to do a trip there for a while. The national seashore park has some backcountry camping sites.

I'm looking to go on the weekend of Nov. 17. There's a meteor shower that night as well.

The back country campsites are 4-10 miles back in.

Originally, I planned to kayak out in the back bay. As I stated planning the trip, I found that the bayside campsites are closed for hunting that weekend. After double checking with the park rangers, I wouldn't be able to access the Oceanside sites from the bay. We COULD paddle back in the ocean, but there's regularly 3-4 foot waves in the surf. I have some lesser experienced people coming with me. That's not something I wanna try in November.

With all of that said, it looks like we are stuck doing it on foot. We're gonna go to the one site that's 4 miles back. The problem is, there's zero fresh water there. At 1 gal a day, that's close to 17lbs of water to go in the pack per person for 2 days. Plus, we're hiking out across the sand. That's going to be a bit tiring. We will plan our hikes in/put around low tide in the hopes of being able to travel on the harder sand down at the water line though.

Just thought I would share the planning stages here. Right now, the plan is still in its infancy.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't think I'd ever hike somewhere with no freshwater... it's just too much of an inconvenience. Water is heavy and takes up space.

You do have a couple of things going for you... I'm assuming you're not going to have much of an elevation gain? Even if you don't, hiking in sand probably negates the relatively flat ground. Second is you're hiking when it should be cold, so you won't be sweating from heat alone. If you take food that doesn't require water to prepare, you could probably cut your load a little.

Could you cache water somewhere on the way in? Maybe half-way to the camp? That would mean you would be hauling your return-trip water for 4 less miles (remaining 2 miles to campsite, and 2 return miles to the cache).

Anyway, sounds like a really cool trip.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Yeah, zero elevation gain. Leaving caches isn't a bad idea. I could go down a day early and paddle the water back.

That's the whole reason i wanted to paddle back for the trip, when yer in a boat, the weight isn't as much of an issue.

This is the first time I have gone somewhere without having access to fresh water. It's going to be interesting.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
There's another option, but I am laughing at myself while typing this.

A lot of the guys that surf fish down there have beach wagons or trailers. It's basically a high priced radio flyer with bulky plastic wheels. One of them could be used to transport the gear.

I actually checked in with fez man because he mentioned buying one in the fishing thread. He doesn't have one yet. I am gonna check with a few guys I know to see if any of them have one.

8.35 lbs per gallon of water.... That fucking sucks.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah it might be smart to figure out some way to tow or cache the water. I'm assuming you eventually reach a point of diminishing returns where the weight of the water increases water required by the body (due to exertion) so much that it's almost pointless to carry it... although it would probably take a lot more than two gallons to get to that point.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
The addition of a cart of some sort could really make it a ton more pleasurable.

This trip is one of those ones where I could go the usual minimalist backpacking route, or just suck it up for the 4 mile hike and go with a bit more luxury like beer and the sort.

If I had one of those carts, it would definitely have a case of beer in it. ;)

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
The addition of a cart of some sort could really make it a ton more pleasurable.

This trip is one of those ones where I could go the usual minimalist backpacking route, or just suck it up for the 4 mile hike and go with a bit more luxury like beer and the sort.

If I had one of those carts, it would definitely have a case of beer in it. ;)
I remember one of my first backpacking trips in high school... one of the new guys was sure he could haul an 24 pack of beer up to the campsite (~5 miles, 2k elevation gain... nothing crazy). About half-way up he set the case down and said he couldn't carry it anymore. Us being the good friends we were took off our packs, sat down, and helped him drink that entire case of fairly warm beer. The remainder of the hike took a lot longer than it should have.

Beer would be great on the trail, but I've accepted that pretty much the best thing to take is vodka with some Kool-Aid mix. Pretty much the only reason I still carry my Nalgene bottle. Although if you have a trailer, hauling beer wouldn't be that bad at all.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Beer in the back country is a pain in the dick