Hiking Backpack Recomendations?

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I need recommendations for a good backpack suitable for day hikes.

Gotsta be comfortable and support the usuals along with a DLSR camera. Do they make multi purpose bags?

Nor do I want to pay a lot since I don't think it'll get all that much use.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
stick with a well known brand, that's about the best advice I can give you.

Osprey, Arc-teryx, and Gregory all make great packs. The REI brand packs are also quite nice and a bit cheaper.

For size, what I would do is to get together everything you plan on taking on these day hikes. Figure out what size you need and then get something SLIGHTLY bigger. The reason I say that is, when you get all of your stuff together, you'll prob forget something.

There's also the option for a pack that is water bladder compatible. If you plan on being out for long days, go for one of those too.

Once you get that figured out, stop by an REI and EMS. They usually have good sales throughout the year. You can also try them on and see what fits. Most of them also have sand bags you can put in the pack while in the store to see how they feel when loaded.

If you want to go even more cheap, once you find the one you want, look it up online. If you get a bunch of help from the people in the store, I'd bite the bullet and just get it there.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I use a Kelty Redwing 3100 for my day hikes and quick one-nighters.

It's a large pack for day hikes (3100 cubic inches), but that would be good for carrying a camera and lenses. It has a hydration pocket, lots of external pockets, and the waistband can be removed if you don't need it. Very comfortable pack.

It's not specifically designed for carrying a DSLR (I think some packs are), but you could just toss your regular camera bag in there, or get a special light-weight one.

Edit: Like Buster said, go to a store and try on the packs. Don't feel bad about not buying one that second either, most people prefer to research their packs extensively since they spend a lot of time wearing them, and an uncomfortable pack can make a weekend a living hell.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Get one made out of Steaks and Red Licorice ...it will serve you well.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I'm going out to Montana and I'll need a day pack out there but I'm already at two bags and a third one would mean I have to check something. I'm thinking something inexpensive enough that I can leave it out there and not worry if I never really use it again. The alternative is that I get a bag that'll fit my laptop and camera for the journey out there. But then I worry that'll be to big for regular ol' day trips around here.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
In that case, take a look at Rei's "flash 18" pack. It is what I call "extreme minimalist". I use it all the time for day hikes after setting up a home base. For example, when I climbed Mt Washington last month, I used it to go from my campsite up to the summit. It's a bit on the small side, but the good part is, the thing collapses down to nothing! You could easily fit it into your existing carry-on.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend that bag for much else though. It's small and kind of flimsy.

http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Before you buy anything from REI, price check their stuff against Backcountry.com. The last time I looked at REI their prices were fucking outrageous.

A few other bomb proof brands to look at if you are going into the mountains of Montana would be:

Northface
Petzl
Black Diamond
Camelback
Arc'teryx

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Before you buy anything from REI, price check their stuff against Backcountry.com. The last time I looked at REI their prices were fucking outrageous.

A few other bomb proof brands to look at if you are going into the mountains of Montana would be:

Northface
Petzl
Black Diamond
Camelback
Arc'teryx
Agreed on those brands except for North Face. Once they got popular with the urban adventurers, their price seemed to spike and quality went down. Just my opinion though

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Think an Osprey Talon 22 would be big enough?

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Think an Osprey Talon 22 would be big enough?
I would say yes, but only you can answer that question. I assume the 22 means 22liters?

You gotta get together all the crap you plan on carrying and then see how much room it takes up.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I haven't a clue what 22 liters is space wise lol

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I haven't a clue what 22 liters is space wise lol
That's part of why I mentioned gathering up all the shit you plan on taking and bunch it up. Then, when you go look at them in the store, you'll have a good idea of what size you'll need by looking at them

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Hmmm... If we were doing another outing at the camp would a 22 be big enough for a night or two of clothes?

I'm thinking the REI 22 is inexpensive enough that I can get it, try it out, and easily take out out to MT in my carry on if I like it. The alternative is getting the Osprey and seeing if I can put my laptop in there and it'll become my laptop bag for the trip.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Hmmm... If we were doing another outing at the camp would a 22 be big enough for a night or two of clothes?

I'm thinking the REI 22 is inexpensive enough that I can get it, try it out, and easily take out out to MT in my carry on if I like it. The alternative is getting the Osprey and seeing if I can put my laptop in there and it'll become my laptop bag for the trip.

A lot of these backpacks are designed to carry laptops if you wanted, they just use the hydration pocket for it. That Kelty can carry a 17" laptop (I believe).

Unless you're a minimalist (and you're not, even if you wanted to be you need experience to know which corners you can cut when it comes to packing), there's no way you can go two nights with that pack. It's around 1300 cubic inches, my (admittedly overkill) daypack has 3100 cubic inches, and I would be hesitant to try two nights with it unless I was doing insane elevation gains and really needed to keep the weight down.

For two or more nights, I would take my Kelty Trekker, which has around the same internal storage capacity (around 3000 cubic inches), but is an external pack so a lot of your gear is lashed to the outside.

This is what it looked like for a 3 night/4 day hike in Yosemite.

Now admittedly I prefer to go carry more stuff and be more comfortable. Also I'm a big guy (6'2, 225 lbs), so carrying more weight is not as much of an issue as it would be for a smaller guy. This pack weighed out at around 42 lb with my hydration bladder full.

Another thought, research which pack you like and see if you can buy it in Montana, and maybe ship it home before you fly out. If you're spending $100+ on a pack, paying $10-15 to ship it home (most weigh ~3 lbs but can be bulky) may be worth it if it means you can buy one that meets many different perceivable situations.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
Ended up getting a Osprey 33. The 22 bags just didn't fit right. Thanks for the advice guys.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, Osprey is a good company, and that pack would probably work for 1 or even 2 nights.

Falldog

Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I went hiking over the weekend, first time in years. Despite issues with my back I was able to lug my camera, snacks, and 3 liters of water around with no issues.