Hippie Vegan Tofu Lovers...I Need Your Help!

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
For those who don't know, my Mom has terminal pancreatic cancer, and isn't able to eat what she wants. One of her Doc's said that tofu would be easy to digest, and has some good protein. My problem is making it interesting, yet easy to prepare. I know all about marinating it to infuse flavor, but most of the recipe ideas I see use it as an adjunct with multiple other items which she may not handle well.

So...I'm looking for ideas using tofu as the only ingredient, or along with one other thing. Bottom line, simple without being completely boring. I have all the cookware and just enough skill to do almost anything, just no experience with bean curd pate. Any idea is welcome.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Cube it and stir fry it with usual stir fry ingredients then just take out what she cant handle or just take out the tofu. Its a quick and dirty method to get some flavor to stick to that gelatinous mush.

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I do a baked version with BBQ sauce that's pretty good. I do a decent amount of stirfry too, and you can do that pretty easy and tailor it however you want.

Sorry about your mom's cancer.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
Dec 28, 2008
Constant sate of misery
Why would anyone make tofu hummus when hummus is vegan already? Can she have chickpeas? Because chickpeas are a great source of protein and you can substitute it for meat in a ton of recipes.
EDIT: I found a website that has a list of simple stuff that you could try.
http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/tofu-recipes.php

And sorry to hear about your mother.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Not to be a dick, but an honest question.

Why can she not eat what she wants to? What can possibly go wrong at this point?

It's like quitting smoking after the stage IV diagnosis.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

Why can she not eat what she wants to? What can possibly go wrong at this point?

The pancreas is a digestive organ and I would assume the cancer sort of messes up the whole digestive process. Its not a matter of comfort foods for a terminally obese person, its a matter of being able to just process a meal.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
The pancreas is a digestive organ and I would assume the cancer sort of messes up the whole digestive process. Its not a matter of comfort foods for a terminally obese person, its a matter of being able to just process a meal.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I was fully prepared to trash you for asking about fucking tofu...

Sorry to hear about your mom. Best of luck with it, I hope she can stay comfortable.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Apr 14, 2004
Just outside NYC
You can use soft tofu and puree it in with soups or sauces to give richness like cream. Fresh pea soup would be great since they are in season. Sorry about your mom man.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
May 12, 2009
Maine
Marinade in something like teriyaki sauce, slice thin, fry or grill. Other easy flavors soy sauce, Worcestershire, Italian dressing, balsamic vinegar. Also sorry about your mom....cancer is a cunt.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
A sincere thanks to everyone making an effort, except one...

Beerbelly...Go fuck yourself shitcunt. You picked the wrong thread to post in for no fucking reason. Don't take this the wrong way, but, die in a grease fire fucktard. I've finally had it with your uselessness.

If you have a problem with my assertion...feel free to let me know. Then fucking die.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005

This is something to consider. My stepdad went out from pancreatic cancer and he rode that shit eating steak, bacon, salami, and ice cream with a side of morphine, all the while playing XBOX in his theater and giving very few fucks.

Just consider trying to keep the deliciousness in mom's life and monitoring the GI distress because it may not be that bad.

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
Or course if you have to use the tofu then don't forget to press as much water out as you can.

Caramelized onions, Thai peanut sauce, and some rice can make something tasty out of that boring-ass tofu.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Just consider trying to keep the deliciousness in mom's life and monitoring the GI distress because it may not be that bad.
Her appetite is good, and while she's eating she's fine. It's 20 minutes later that she has trouble.

She had a Jejunostomy several months ago to allow her to eat semi-normal foods, but the tumor compressed her bile duct last month, and the stent they put in has had to be redone. That's why meats, hard to digest foods and high fat are now out. It's not a surprise, but it's not an ideal scenario. I did some pan fried Teriyaki infused tofu last nigh that wasn't too bad. It's a continual work in progress.