History Channel - Watergate

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Anyone catch this? I'm watching on the app. Good retelling of the story, but I am a bit annoyed that it seems to be showing its bias as if this is the roadmap for taking down the Trump administration.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Anyone catch this? I'm watching on the app. Good retelling of the story, but I am a bit annoyed that it seems to be showing its bias as if this is the roadmap for taking down the Trump administration.
Is there any way to discuss Watergate anymore without people being convinced it's a hit piece on Trump?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
The fact that it aired the week of the election is why people think that way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Is there any way to discuss Watergate anymore without people being convinced it's a hit piece on Trump?
I was hoping someone else who saw it could confirm or deny the tone. Just seemed like a lot of "Remember the last time an out-of-control President was brought down? We had the Watergate scandal!"

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I was hoping someone else who saw it could confirm or deny the tone. Just seemed like a lot of "Remember the last time an out-of-control President was brought down? We had the Watergate scandal!"
I'm not saying it is or it isn't, I haven't watched it yet. (But I will because I like Watergate.) And I have seen "Remind you of anyone?!?!?" Watergate coverage. But I can also see how people can read into that from innocuous coverage because of how closely Trump and impeachment have become intertwined.

But if we've become such oversensitive babies that we can't even discuss Watergate without it becoming yet another stupid front in this pathetic war...

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Watergate didn't take the Nixon down. His tapes did. He stepped down when he realized the tapes would be used as evidence. The deniability thing runs deep in politics. A president or a presidential candidate isn't privy to dirty tricks info so they can legitimately deny knowledge of it. Nixon could have survived this scandal, but he was stupid to document the coverup when the scandal blew. Trump might have an actual scandal in the making, but the Media has cried wolf for two years and nobody will believe them now.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Watergate didn't take the Nixon down. His tapes did. He stepped down when he realized the tapes would be used as evidence. The deniability thing runs deep in politics. A president or a presidential candidate isn't privy to dirty tricks info so they can legitimately deny knowledge of it. Nixon could have survived this scandal, but he was stupid to document the coverup when the scandal blew. Trump might have an actual scandal in the making, but the Media has cried wolf for two years and nobody will believe them now.
The tapes and the fact that Woodward and Bernstein couldn't be bullied and kept the story fresh. But as you mentioned today, who is left to be trusted in the media? Plenty of pundits, all of whom blew their wad way to early on nothing stories.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
The tapes and the fact that Woodward and Bernstein couldn't be bullied and kept the story fresh. But as you mentioned today, who is left to be trusted in the media? Plenty of pundits, all of whom blew their wad way to early on nothing stories.
Woodward and Bernstein were immaterial. He wasn't privy to any of it and could pin it on some unsanctioned rogue element. If he had done nothing it would blown over like any other scandal.