History of the Joke - Lewis Black on the History Channel

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
http://www.history.com/minisite.do?...t_type_id=57883&display_order=3&mini_id=57887

In this two hour special, we'll go on a journey to find the world's oldest jokes beginning with Ancient Greece where there was a comedians' club called the Group of Sixty that met in the temple of Heracles to trade wisecracks. One of the Greeks' favorites: making fun of Pericles's onion shaped head. Then we'll travel to Ancient Rome and hear from the oldest surviving joke book, the 4th century Philogelos. These amusements include the same characters we laugh about today--drunks, cheapskates, loose women, misogynistic men and the maligned neighboring ethnic group (in this case the Abdurites).

From Rome, we travel to the Vatican and hear from the first European joke book. Collected by Poggio during the Renaissance, much of his material came out of a comedy club in the Vatican called the Bugiale--the "fib factory." Here, papal scribes would gather at the end of a tedious day spent drafting bulls, dispensations, and encyclicals to shoot the breeze and tell scandalous stories. There are fat, drunk and bodily-function jokes straight out of the raunchiest American film.

We'll also explore jokes from wartime, often used to belittle the enemy and make fun of inept politicians. Comedian Patton Oswald told a typical joke heard at the end of the war in Nazi Germany: Hitler and Göring are standing on top of Berlin's radio tower. Hitler says he wants to do something to cheer up the people of Berlin. "Why don't you just jump?" suggests Göring. The joke may not be funny, but it was deadly. The Berlin munitions worker who told it was reported to authorities and executed.

"The History of The Joke" is hosted by a well known comedian, Lewis Black.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
It's going to be on Monday, Feb. 18 at 9 in case you didn't bother to check the website. I am very interested. And we all know the Hitler joke
[yt]yff5Sp6bN6k[/yt]

(Yes the Hitler part is 5 minutes in to a 9 minute segment but watch the whole thing, it's classic.)

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
I can only imagine how un-P.C. a lot of these jokes will be. I'm definitely checking this out.

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
I saw a promo of this with Fat Bob Kelly. Looks good.

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
History of the Joke (Lewis Black)

Was playing on the puter and I heard Bob Kelly's voice on the tv, so It caught my attention. It was a commercial for a special on the History Channel called History of the Joke. Airs Monday, February 18 09:00 PM, and Tuesday, February 19 01:00 AM.

From History channels website:
Join comedian Lewis Black in his provocative quest for the secret ingredients of a great joke. Black discovers living history among America's greatest joke tellers, including George Carlin, Shelley Berman, Robin Williams, Robert Klein, Kathleen Madigan, Penn & Teller, Kathy Griffin, and Dave Attell; and he looks to the future of joke-telling, with jokes and interviews from over 50 standup comedians working today. Black's hilarious journey uncovers where jokes come from, what inspires comedians to get into comedy, the nature of laughter, improv, the dirty joke and the role of truth in comedy. Black recounts what it takes to tell the perfect joke.

(EDIT: Dammit! Mods didn't realize I was posting in General Discussion, Please move to appropriate place)

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
i'm not that fancy Bro

i'll set up the vcr though

give me a reminder please
if ya think of it

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
i'm not that fancy Bro

i'll set up the vcr though

give me a reminder please
if ya think of it
Sorry bud, i was working the 3rd shift and couldnt get on wackbag at my phone.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
fuck
i missed it

was it any good? anyone ?
It wasn't bad, It wasn't great. I'm not really sure the point of it, but it was mildly entertaining, but I wouldn't have been pissed if I missed it.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
Best laugh for me was a less than 5 minutes in and Penn Jillete (sic) starts with the Aristocrats. Not bad though overall. I don't know who the chic was that was with Bob Kelley, but she seemed to me the typical female comic hack.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I nearly shit myself when I saw fat stupid Bob Kelly's head yapping away on my muted TV, on the hitler channel no less. Talk about prestige. Can't wait to catch an episode or two.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Who Knew? Lewis is an educated man?..masters from Yale..nice!
Sort like when see you Peter Weller talking on Engineering An Empire and you find out the guy has got degrees in history. Its surreal hearing Robocop talk about the glory of the Roman empire. As for History of the Joke, I have it Dvred, but haven't watched it yet.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Sort like when see you Peter Weller talking on Engineering An Empire and you find out the guy has got degrees in history. Its surreal hearing Robocop talk about the glory of the Roman empire. As for History of the Joke, I have it Dvred, but haven't watched it yet.
yeah, he actually teaches at Princeton if I recall.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Doesnt he teach at Syracuse ? I thought remember that from all of EAE shows.

Anyway, history of the joke was ok. Patton Oswald of all people had two of the best jokes on it.