Hitler's Globe Up for Sale - Nov. 13 in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
News.com

A GLOBE that belonged to Adolf Hitler is expected to fetch up to $22,000 when it is auctioned by the American soldier who found it in the ruins of Hitler's bunker.

Days after the end of World War II, American soldier John Barsamian entered the wreckage of Hitler's mountain stronghold, finding fierce Allied bombing had left the "Eagle's Nest" in ruins. The place was destroyed and almost everything had been looted by other soldiers - except for the globe. "Literally, the place is all bombed out and here this globe is sitting there on the desk," Mr Barsamian, now 91, said.

Mr Barsamian is putting the artefact up for auction, along with all the military paperwork that allowed him to bring it back to the US, including a certificate that reads: "One Global Map, German, Hitler's Eagle Nest."

Other globes presumed to have been owned by Hitler have been extensively researched for authenticity. But there is no uncertainty about the origins of Barsamian's wartime trophy.

"This is probably the most airtight documentation I've run across in some time," Greg Martin, proprietor of the auction house to handle the sale, said. "We have pictures of the guy there at the time, standing in the ruins holding the globe like a newborn baby. "The guy is a meticulous record keeper."

Mr Barsamian found the globe in May 1945 in Berghof - Hitler's home in the Bavarian Alps town of Berchtesgaden. He boxed it up with other keepsakes, including a pistol and a dagger and shipped them home. For more than 60 years, he kept the globe at his home in Oakland, California.

It was not displayed prominently and he only told its story when friends asked. "Hardly anyone knew I had it," Mr Barsamian said. Today, the globe rests on a plain wooden pedestal. A weathered ribbon of transparent tape encircles the globe at its equator.

For Mr Barsamian, it evokes memories of another era, when he was a 28-year-old chief warrant officer. After beating cancer and burying his wife, Violet, in 2004, Mr Barsamian is finally ready to part with the globe.

He is selling it now, while he is still alive, so he can tell the story behind it and share his experience in the war, according to his son Barry. The globe is expected to attract bids from $16,000 to $22,000 when it is auctioned on November 13. Other items up for auction include rare documents signed by Hitler and a box of cigars that belonged to Hermann Goering, a leader in the Nazi Party.

John Barsamian, 91, of Oakland, Calif., stands by a globe that was once Adolf Hitler's, at the Greg Martin auction house in San Francisco, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2007. It was May of 1945 when Barsamian, a young U.S. Army officer, his driver and a medic ambled up to Hitler's mountain home of Berghof, just days after the German surrender to Allied forces. Much of the home had already succumbed to the hands of souvenir seeking soldiers, but Chief Warrant Officer John Barsamian was able to return to his Oakland, Calif. home with one of the Fuhrer's prized leftovers, a globe of the world that Nazi Germany had so many designs on. Barsamian now plans to auction off the curious piece of war memorabilia. In the top right corner of the globe is a small puncture from shrapnel. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

Lot 1569 Detail
1569 Militaria Historic Desktop Globe Taken from Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" at Berchtesgaden, Germany by XV U.S. Army Corps Chief Warrant Officer John Barsamian together with Supporting Documents, Map and Photographs
Sorry Turfmower, thread was accidentally deleted.

Turfmower

auction site
http://www.gregmartinauctions.com/gma/catalogs/nov07press.html

auction description

Lot 1570
Historic Desktop Globe Taken from Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" at Berchtesgaden, Germany by XV U.S. Army Corps Chief Warrant Officer John Barsamian together with Supporting Documents, Map and Photographs
The German desktop world globe, measuring approximately 41-inches in circumference by 18-inches high. Metal radius and mounted on a simple circular wooden base. Dated 10.1.1941.
On May 10, 1945, Officer Barsamian accompanied by Warrant Officer Philip Zelkower, Jr., visited the ruins of Hitler's private home in Berchtesgaden where Barsamian confiscated this globe from Hitler's desk in the ruins of the "Eagle's Nest". The globe is accompanied by the following provenance: 1) a copy of the original U.S. government importation receipt showing the globe listed as one of the items Barsamian had sent home from the war. 2) numerous photos of Barsamian at the "Eagle's Nest". 3) a sworn, notarized statement from Barsamian attesting to the circumstances and capture of the globe. 4) Copies of pages of his pocket diary written during the war where he mentions the experience of visiting the "Eagle's Nest" and capturing the globe. He writes: "... I picked up a swell global map of the world in Hitler's House and I'll send it home".5) Copies of letters from Barsamian to his parents, describing in detail his visit to Berchtesgaden. In a typed letter dated May 10, 1945, he writes: "....Today I went and visited Adolf Hitler's Home at Berchtesgaden in the Alps. I also visted the hotel where he dined and entertained Goering, Mussolini, etc....I was able to pick up from Hitler's House a wonderful souvenir. It is a large global map of the world. It is like a big round ball. It is similar to the one that the Boghosians have in their home, however, this is written all in German. Inasmuch as I took it from Hitler's House I wouldn't be surprised the thing has been handled by Hitler and Mussolini. I really prize this souvenir. By golly you can put it in the store and tell the customers that this global map came from Hitler's Den in Berchtesgaden". 6) Original period folding map of Berchtesgaden also captured from the Germans. 7) Two period photo postcards of Adolf Hitler. 8) Original wooden lid from the box in which the globe was shipped home.
While there were many items taken by American service personnel during the capture of Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" this globe is a scarce and unique artifact of Nazi Germany and surely was used by Hitler many times contemplating his world strategy and plans of conquest. Unlike many war souvenirs, this globe comes with impeccable provenance from a high ranking U.S. Army officer who personally took the item from the site himself.
Condition: Good. Showing moderate wear and patina with several shrapnel nicks and holes present from damage that occurred during the Allied bombing of the "Eagle's Nest".
Estimate: $15,000 / 20,000

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Looks like Goering's cuff links are up for sale too for the 2 - 3 thousand range. Ant could actually wear those to work.

MJMANDALAY

15) Lot 1572
Rare Original Box of Private Purchase Cigars Belonging to German Third Reich Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering
Estimate: $2,000 / 3,000

:)

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
My oppinion of San Francisco just went up a few notches.

JSHAW

$22, 000? C'mon, I don't have 22k and if I had Ant's FU money I'd pay way more than 50K, even upwards of 100K. It's Hitler's globe, one of a kind. It's a piece of history, it'll probably go for more than 100K in my opinion.

Somewhere in South America there's a Nazi in hiding that wants that mofo.
:D

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
why do i see this turning out badly for ant's check book

SteveFromBayshore

Unofficial Supplier of Cats to Gauleiter Cumia
That is a small globe from Hitler's private home, which would be very cool to own. The REAL prize would be the huge globe from his office in the Reichs Chancellery, the whereabouts of which are unknown. There is one in Berlin in a museum, but most experts believe that one was actually made for Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop and was from his office. Not that I follow this type of thing.

HEIL CUMIA!

U

Unkle Adolf

So that's where it went.

Hydrosludge

We can do it comrade
15) Lot 1572
Rare Original Box of Private Purchase Cigars Belonging to German Third Reich Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering
Estimate: $2,000 / 3,000

Would Ron Smoke them?

topher520

learnings for queers
That is a small globe from Hitler's private home, which would be very cool to own. The REAL prize would be the huge globe from his office in the Reichs Chancellery, the whereabouts of which are unknown. There is one in Berlin in a museum, but most experts believe that one was actually made for Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop and was from his office. Not that I follow this type of thing.

HEIL CUMIA!
I heard you liked the era.

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.

HEIL CUMIA!
Why am I not surprised to find you posting in this thread. :action-sm

More importantly, when Ant said he'd pay $50,000 for Hitler's globe, I couldn't get to the computer fast enough to send in an IF: "50 grand for a globe? Can anyone say n1gger rich?". I guess I can't be surprised that they'd pass on reading that one on air.

Hobo_Cum

Psst... your balls are showing...
Why am I not surprised to find you posting in this thread. :action-sm

More importantly, when Ant said he'd pay $50,000 for Hitler's globe, I couldn't get to the computer fast enough to send in an IF: "50 grand for a globe? Can anyone say ------ rich?". I guess I can't be surprised that they'd pass on reading that one on air.
yeah... especially because it wasnt funny :action-sm

when the boys get in trouble again, i just know that the news will make sure to mention ant's purchase whenever possible. encouraged sex in a church, talked about the **** on condi, and bought hitler's globe.

hawk4444

Also known as Butters
hitler was an artist after all. This would definetly be a suck up gift for anthony if there are any rich listeners.

Heil Cumia!!!!

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
This globe?
[yt]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IJOuoyoMhj8[/yt]

http://www.snyderstreas
ures.net/images/artworks/batsunset.jpg
panting actually looks pretty nice

J

jackalope eye

i was thinking the same thing. but surely 60 yr old cigars cant be good. unless theyve been stored properly over the years.
I wonder if after you smoke them, they smell like burnt jew?

It's True ....

The REAL prize would be the huge globe from his office in the Reichs Chancellery ....
I visited it.

The scale's so -- ....
I dunno how ta describe it lol

Standing next to it in person I felt so small perspective-wise my knees involuntarily buckled! lol

hawk4444

Also known as Butters
i wish i had the time to draw anthony all chibi style holding that globe with a ^_^ expression on his face.

sadly i don't right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom