HitW Viewing Thread 05/23/13 8pm: Batman Forever/Batman and Robin with LiddyRules!

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Oh dear. Oh drat.

I meant to repeat dear, but my phone auto corrected to drat. I'm keeping it. Fits with the awful tone these two movies will have.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Gonna be here. Wouldn't miss these shitpiles for the world.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I'm currently in my dentist's waiting room, and I'm looking more toward my dental appointment than Thursday.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Did you know that the director caught so much flak for these movies that he issued an on-film apology interview?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011

The high spots...

"Every scene is overproduced. You feel bored. An unending parade of leering double entendres about the male anatomy is just so repetitious: all the humor
is below the belt. This is a tasteless bore. The film is marred by wall-to-wall music. I saw plenty of walk outs at the movie theater.
Sequences are so busy you can't follow any of the action. It is like a pinball machine with 5 balls in play.
These villains are not up to snuff.
There is no human element. The butler is the only thing you emotionally react to because hey, at least he could die. We both gave it two stars."

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
About the director of Batman and Robin, he was competent enough and then had a major breakthrough with the movie
Falling Down. I have a hard time understanding how somebody could go from Falling Down, this borderline masterful
character study that got Michael Douglas' best performance of his career, to Batman and Robin. There must have been
studio pressure to color it up and cornball it up.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Why have we waited so long to do these?

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
May 16, 2007
Nothern VA
I think these films are great! Super stupid, super campy. It's prime Best of the Worst material.

Also, Uma Thurman as Ivy is hot as fuck.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I made the Riddler joke in the first couple of pages of the HitWB thread when we were discussing Green Lantern.
I am re-reading the first few pages of the main thread and saw that Neckbeard suggested Batman and Robin on the first page. So this is a long time coming. I'm hoping that it being on a Thursday with an earlier start time doesn't hurt the turnout and enthusiasm too much. A lot of people have the Friday before Memorial Day off, so that's something.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
I am re-reading the first few pages of the main thread and saw that Neckbeard suggested Batman and Robin on the first page. So this is a long time coming. I'm hoping that it being on a Thursday with an earlier start time doesn't hurt the tuneout and enthusiasm too much. A lot of people have the Friday before Memorial Day off, so that's something.
My viciousness will be well worth it.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I am re-reading the first few pages of the main thread and saw that Neckbeard suggested Batman and Robin on the first page. So this is a long time coming. I'm hoping that it being on a Thursday with an earlier start time doesn't hurt the tuneout and enthusiasm too much. A lot of people have the Friday before Memorial Day off, so that's something.
First several pages of that thread are great.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
My viciousness will be well worth it.
I'm looking forward to it. I had a full scale meltdown while watching One for the Money, which I believe enhanced LiddyRules ' experience somewhat.

Like most of you, my memories of Batman Forever are that it didn't seem to be that bad. I did go to see Batman and Robin on opening night, so I couldn't have been to turned off by Forever. Mrs. Pigdango got to the theater late and there were only single seats, so we sat on the floor. Not only was the movie terrible, but the entire experience was awful. I haven't seen either movie since.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Batman Forever was as slick and campy as you could take such a dark, depressive and obsessive character as Batman. It isn't great by any stretch of the imagination,
but even after about 20 years it holds up.

Batman and Robin was studio pressure and director choice to camp it up to 11 and try to push as many toys as humanly possible. There is a scene in the movie where
you can honest-to-God imagine Warner Bros. Executives talking about the profit margin on Batman ice hockey skates.

There is one statement that Joel Schumacher just got his nuts ripped off for and it went something like "Why does Batman have to be such a Gloomy Gus? He's almost 40
and his parents died when he was a little kid. He should just let it go already and turn that frown upside down!"

And when you do that...

There is no Batman. There is just Bruce Wayne at a board meeting talking about P/E ratios, dividends and the new cookware division.

Bill Lehecka

The Fat Horse v. 2.0
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Cohoes, NY
Batman Forever is not looked at as shit because people have been conned. It has an overacting Jim Carrey, Tommy Lee Jones trying to eat scenery and acting as a Joker Light, Chriss O'Donnell as a whiny fuckstick pretending to be a teenager, horrible one-liners, actors that are dogshit, a guard that may be the worst actor in history, day-glo dark scenes that looks like they were designed by a hippie, batsuit nipples, and I could go on.... but we need to hold off until Thursday.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I seriously don't think Batman Forever is that bad. It is essentially Street Fighter with twice the budget. Its a totally middling but acceptable film, a 5 at
worst. I'm looking forward to Bill dumping on it because I don't think there is anything too unforgivable about it.

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
So whats the point in these HitW threads, to see who can watch the most shitty movies before going on a murderous rampage?

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Well, we did watch 5 Twilight films in 2 evenings and the only person who had any genuine fun
was Michael Sheen.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
First several pages of that thread are great.
It is interesting to see how the format morphed. Your Skyline review was all in one post and done after you watched the movie. I did a handful of long posts during Green Lantern, and paused the movie so I could type them up and add videos and such. Like the Avengers, it took us some time to get a little traction:

9/12/12 - Skyline: (Neon Solo)
9/15/12 - Green Lantern: (Piggy Solo, with commentary by a few folks who weren't watching)
10/27/12 - X-Men 3: (Piggy Solo, with commentary by Stormrider666 , who wasn't watching)
12/23/12 - Fred Claus and Click. (Piggy, Liddy, and Flash, with an assist from Neon to explain Christianity) First ever Live viewing, although we had some issues syncing up. Also the first ever double header, and the first time Flush.Buy.Fuck bailed on us.
12/24/12 - The Day the Earth Stood Still (Liddy, Neon, and Flash.) Also the debut of fletcher who quit during the movie. Some drunk asshole also posted "Whoa" a bunch of times while you guys were watching it.
12/27/12 - The origin of Party Liddy:
It doesn't feel right without him. Let's make up stories about where he is. I think he'd like that. He enjoys it when people talk about him.
I think he went out for a coffee and someone held the door open for him and he got so upset because he didn't know whether to thank the person that he collapsed and is in the emergency room.
Sorry, I was otherwise engaged with one of those precious rare instances I have a life outside the board.
You can play without me. I don't mind.
I will be able to participate tonight and tomorrow, if anyone cares.
Yeah right, Party Liddy is gonna hit the town again HARD!
I like Party Liddy, but I'm now picturing him as a hit man. Not the type to get his hands dirty or even use a gun. I think he deals exclusively in poison.
12/28/12 - C Me Dance. (Liddy, Flash, and Konstantin K)
12/29/12 - Apollo 18 (Liddy and Neon.) More technical difficulties for poor fletcher, and the first mention of Piggy Fandango:
Do you have any preferences? fandango86 hogged a bunch of movies and Flush.Buy.Fuck is off in the corner crying. I mean I'd let him back on a probationary basis.
12/30/12 - Piggy gets his name, along with the first appearance of the most beloved character in wackbag history:
Yeah. Though it's incredibly hard for me to think of a moving more boringer than that one. At least The Devil Inside had different sets.

So here's what I have for HitW

The Piggie Fandango List:

Superman Returns
Spider-Man 3
Alice in Wonderland
Matrix 2
Matrix 3

The non-Piggie Fandango List:

Sucker Punch
The Spirit
Superman 3
Superman IV
PL is all up in my kitchen tonight.
You are dead to me.
I was all excited that I was tagged 3 times in this thread and rushed in to see comments like "this just isn't the same without fandango", "you're ok, Neon, but I'd rather be watching with fandango", or "I hope fandango's holiday party is going swimmingly. I know he was nervous about the Fried Ravioli, but I'm sure thy turned out just fine." But no, just a bunch of comments about what a cunt I am. Sad face...
My commentary may stink but I have heart. Well, not tonight, but most of the time.

12/31/12 - The birth of a legend
Fuck it. I found this funny and it has nothing to do with anything that went on about anything. It's a HitW thing. And we're all cool here. Except for me and Flush.Buy.Fuck because he ruined C Me Dance.