OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

HOA refuses to let "Homes for Troops" build a house in their neighborhood

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MayrMeninoCrash, Jul 3, 2011.

1. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

because it would drop home values. Guess why?

[​IMG]

I bet you thought it was because they didn't want all those ugly wheelchair ramps in the yard.

2. domelogic

domelogic Registered User

Well I wouldnt have guessed young people. I wonder what type of house they were going to build?

3. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

In reading some other articles about this...they wanted to build this single-story home in the "Estates" section of the Knob Hill subdivision, and apparently, the houses in the estates section are multi-story, 3,400 sq ft and higher. So they allowed them to build the house there, they just need to build a bigger house, which "Homes For Our Troops" wouldn't do. The fact that he's an injured war vet and he's black makes this a story. I don't know what building a smaller house would really do to property values...but jeez, it's only 700 sq ft. Just let the vet build, fergawdsakes.

On the other hand, I'm seeing the story get twisted around now because the family says they feel like they're no longer welcome in the community. As if to say they're being shunned by the community, when actually the HOA board said..."You can build there, just make sure it meets the minimum sq footage of the other "estates" in that section."

I dunno, HOA's are usually shit, however, they become very useful when your fuckin mexican neighbor a few doors down wants to paint his house a shade of pink and park his fuckin pickup in the backyard. They sure put a stop to that shit in my neighborhood, for which I'm grateful. :)

4. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

The guy made a sacrifice for this country. Just build the house, you miserable un-American cunts

5. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

[​IMG]

6. domelogic

I know alot about this type of thing with no HOA and it sucks.

If there is a min. square footage then it shouldnt be changed for anyone period but after hearing this I am sure they knew that and went ahead with trying to build it anyway

7. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

I agree. I'm not sure why something like the Homes for Troops think that rules should be changed for them. If there is a home minimum in the neighborhood, I would be pissed to have spent a good chunk of cash on a home and have some shitbox 700 sf house built next door. Of course, once you let one group do it, others will be right behind them.

8. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Registered User

i'm on the side of the HOA and i fucking hate HOA's. The housing market is bad enough, and now you want to slum down their street value with this. Why does this cripple feel he gets to live in an upperclass neighborhood. More of the "givs me dat" attitude, this whole fucking story is Obamas fault.

9. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Disappointed by the lack of reaction to the racist comments in the article. Nothing says that the home they want to build is going to look "out of place" or "shitty" compared to surrounding houses, yet the HOA's reason for denial is "the house would lower property values". Compared to a vacant lot, I assume.

10. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I don't know about this organization, but I've done a few builds with Habitat for Humanity (wife's work thing... Once i showed her some research on the company she quit signing us up for that dogshit) and the houses are always shit. If this neighborhood is a 3,400+ Estates neighborhood, and there's a smaller half to the neighborhood, the group was just being presumptuous in buying a lot in the "rich" side of town. They're probably Grand homes or something similar, and an organization like this doesn't build houses like that. (generally)

I fucking hate HOAs, but I agree with this one.

11. domelogic

Well a vacant lot doesnt bring down property value but someone putting up a much smaller and not as nice home will. It works in the opposite direction as well if someone decided to build or increase their home size to 6000 or more sq ft, they wouldnt get the value back because it would be the only one of that size. Reading the article didnt make me believe anything was racist

12. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

It's either have it remain a vacant lot and be able to eventually sell it to someone that WILL build the right size house and keep property values up or let them build their smaller house, which will be a permanent fixture, and may drag values of other homes down. It sucks because this guy is a vet and you want to let him build...but it's breaks their rules.

That's what I think. I just don't know if building a brand new house that happens to be 700 sq ft below the minimum in the neighborhood and one-story...would really affect property values. Or, I'm sure it would, but how bad could it be? If it does, then absolutely...they need to abide by the sometimes archaic rules of the HOA. And if they don't like it...the charity shouldn't buy a plot of land in a subdivision run by an HOA because there are guidelines and restrictions that they're going to be forced to follow...especially in what appears to be a more upscale neighborhood.

I have more of a love-hate relationship with HOAs. My neighbors basically make up the Board, and I'm on the architectural committee. Ya know, you want to be able to do whatever the fuck you want...after all, it's your property, everyone else can go screw. You can't however, stop your neighbors from doing whatever the fuck they want, and their poor choices may drag your home value down. So, you hate to love them, and love to hate them.

13. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Then you shouldn't have included their pic. :trollol: