home brewers, wine or mead makers or home distillers on the bag?

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
I’ve been wondering, are there any other home brewers, wine or mead makers or home distillers on the bag?

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
I used to home brew lots. I have all the cool shit, cold fermentation for ale, co2 keg system,etc.

It was fun for a few years, but I gave it up...it just took up too much time and I am an impatient fucktard . I just venture to the beer store and try something new every time. It can be a really fun hobby if you have the time and patience.

I just hated waiting the 3 or so weeks when I would bottle for it to be drinkable.

CaraC

A real giirrrrllllllllllllllllll
I have never done anything like this, but out of curiosity, does it end up being cheaper, in the end, to brew your own beer? Or does all the materials that are necessary to brew it even out with just buying beer on a regular basis?

foyb

I've read a lot of information on how to do it, and have considered trying it on numerous occasions. I've just never had the time to do it, plus beer is only 12-13 bucks for 30 (yea, I know I drink cheap shit). One of my friends used to do it (he decided to leave the work force for a while, and had the time), and one of my professors in college did it. The days after he bottled a batch were awesome (hungover prof=easy class)

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Why is distillers censored in the title? That's crazy like Brian Fellows.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
ive often wanted to give it a try, but i am also not only an impatient fuck tard im also a fucking slob, and lazy, so im sure that one of those carictor flaws would only force me to spend too much money on another worthless hobby that i get board with the third or fourth time ive had to clean up after my self.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
My dad used to do this. His beer was questionable, but his mead ruled.

BigWilly

Just thoughts, no prayers.
Me and a buddy have made 6 different types of beer so far. He had some equipment given to him from a cousin, and I bought a second set up so we can do two at a time. We followed recipes exactly the first two times, and the beer was awesome. The last time we tried some different hops and both batches were sort of bitter, but drinkable.

As far as cost, it's definitely not cheaper than a domestic beer, but comparable to an import purchase. Of course you start growing your own hops and buying malt in bulk, your costs go down. I recommend the first few times, go with the prepacked kits from a homebrew store.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
My dad brewed a few batches about 15 years ago. He always improvised with the recipes to increase the alcohol %. This inevitably resulted in horrific tasting brew with an inch of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Once or twice when I was desperate and couldn't get my hands on any real alcohol I would choke one of those fuckers down. Ugh.

My friend's cousin just got a kit for x-mas and we just tried it a few nights ago. Really good. Not just good for 1st timer homebrewing, but really good. I think I may get my pop's equipment and try it out.

I press my own hashish though, does that count for anything? :cool3:

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
I have a Mr. Beer but I've only used it a few times and wasn't too pleased with the results. I'd love to try real homebrewing though. Now that I'm gonna be a homeowner I might give it a shot.

ChimneyFish

Believe it or not, it's just meeee
I've wanted to try mead.
Anybody out there made their own????
I was wondering how complicated it is.

My second year making my own wine.
Last two years I've just made some Ruby Cabernet.
Some very tasty stuff.

I think I might mix it up next year, and try a different red and try making a white, too.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I've made a ton of beer, but never did wine. I did do some mead once..

Making mead is crazy easy. Cooking it up is like making a big cup of tea, and the fermentation is the same as beer... only not as stinky and messy.

The only down side... not many people REALLY like mead, and it gives you a CRUSHING hangover if you get bombed on it. One of the worst hangovers of my life was from waaaay too much Bunratty Meade when I was over in Ireland. If there had been a pistol within hand's reach when I came to the morning after, I would have cheerfully shot myself in the head.

My advice... do small batches first. Small enough that you can ferment in a 1 gallon carboy.

I made the mistake of doing a five gallon batch... it was a decent result if I do say so myself... certainly as good, if not better, than the Bunratty... but I had trouble even giving the stuff away, and drinking that much mead quickly turned into a chore. I ended up pitching the last few bottles in the trash unopened.

Unless you really love the stuff, five gallons of Mead is basically a lifetime supply.

It's easy to make... but, do it in small batches... that's my advice.

ChimneyFish

Believe it or not, it's just meeee
Maybe I'll gave it a try this year.

And, from what I'm hearing in this thread, making wine is soooo much easier than making beer. There's really nothing to making a palin batch of whatever grape you want. You really don't have to do mauch of anything.

Luftwaffe

drinking: Terrapin Wake-N-Bake
I've been home brewing for awhile now. Good way to kill an evening. I've got a mild ale and a hefeweizen fermenting right now for the summer.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Yes mead is very easy to make and I love it. I'm sure there are recipes on the internet. A few suggestions are to use liquid champagne yeast because it has a higher alcohol tolerance and will ferment it out dry, dry, dry. You also have to be very patient. I rack until there is no sediment left, usually three or four times then give it six months in the carboy and the at least another six months in the bottle before I even touch it. It is excellent at one year in the bottle and even better at two years. I don't know what it tastes like at three years cuz none has ever made it that long. I usually have about thirty gallons going at a time and it is still hoarded and rationed. Right now in the carboys I have a hopped mead aging with medium toast american oak, a raspberry mead, a peach mead aging with light toasted peach wood and a regular dry mead aging with light toast french oak.

Don't boil it even if the recipe sez so. Just heat it till the honey is fully diluted or you loose some of the more subtle flavor characteristics and the floral aroma notes. I prefer my non fruit meads carbonated and they bottle condition excellent. They are in the bottle so long that if you decant them they pour crystal clear. Good mead is a sublime experience to be treasured and relished.

And yes, a mead hangover will knock your dick in the dirt.

hypes

Flying over your heads
When I approached my wife about homebrewing, she said I could either build my MAME cabinet or homebrew. I chose the former...but get free bottles from my friends who do the latter so long as I keep them supplied with Grolsh empties.

My friends mostly brew mead (of various flavors and alcohol contents) and really, really dark brews (really, really, really thick too). I enjoy both equally (my good friend's honey maple mead weighs in at a whopping 80% alcohol/vol and is soooooo smooth you don't even know your drunk until its too late), and I get the added bonus of being privy to their brewing recipies (since they know once my MAME cab. is finally finished I'll switch over to brewing).

The biggest bitch about mead is purchasing ALL THE GORRAM HONEY!!!! In IA, it's harder then hell to get it at a good rate where your not spending a ton of cash to make 2 1/2 gallons of mead. It's insane... it doesn't help that Sue Bee Honey pays top rate for everything in the state that they can get their hands on... but that's a story for another day.

-h

Creasy Bear

Donator
Shit dude, you know that's 160 proof right? :action-sm
Seriously... how can that be? How can a fermented product be that high in alcohol? Where the hell do you find the mutant yeast that can get that job done? 160 proof? There HAS to be some sort of distillation taking place to make that sort of rocket fuel.

You sure he didn't say 18 percent? Even THAT is on the outer limits of what's possible through fermentation.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Seriously... how can that be? How can a fermented product be that high in alcohol? Where the hell do you find the mutant yeast that can get that job done? 160 proof? There HAS to be some sort of distillation taking place to make that sort of rocket fuel.

You sure he didn't say 18 percent? Even THAT is on the outer limits of what's possible through fermentation.
to hit that proof requires fractional distillation, even a pot still can't hit that proof.

Creasy Bear

Donator
to hit that proof requires fractional distillation, even a pot still can't hit that proof.
I did not know that. Fractional distillation... I had to look that one up.

Thank you, mister.