home brewers, wine or mead makers or home distillers on the bag?

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I have a home brewing kit but am too broke to get the supplies to make the beer. I have all kinds of ideas though. need to start simple and make adaptations from there eventually.

DiggerNick

Donator
I have a home brewing kit but am too broke to get the supplies to make the beer. I have all kinds of ideas though. need to start simple and make adaptations from there eventually.
It's not much more than $20 to get the can of malt, the dextrose and hops.

And I saw some guy use a bag of raw sugar instead of the dextrose for ginger beer.

Once you have the equipment the ingredients is pretty minor.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I have three home brewing kits, tried to make the pre-measured kit that came with the one, but got the hops mixed up. Tasted like ass. Drank it anyway.

I also took two of the packets of champagne yeast and tossed it in a gallon each of sweet tea and apple cider. Both came out really tasty, but the carbonation of the cider was off the hook. Crack the cap too quickly and it foamed up all over the place. Like a champagne, come to think of it. :p

I really want to graduate to the big boys, get a stainless steel fermentation pot, wort chillers, dedicated water & gas to my brewing station, the works. Not just yet though. For now it's 5 gallon plastic buckets. Meh. Works for me.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Brewing is one of those hobbies you have to put into perspective....

There are a lot of engineers and engineering minded people that do it and they are the ones that post the million different tweaks and hops variations and water filtration systems and shit in their garage, all going through pristine brushed stainless steel pots on hand welded stations

You can (and I have) brew fantastic fucking beer in a goddamned plastic bucket with tap water and malt in your basement or kitchen.

I really only see those fantastic contraptions as someone with a whole lot of free time

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Brewing is one of those hobbies you have to put into perspective....

There are a lot of engineers and engineering minded people that do it and they are the ones that post the million different tweaks and hops variations and water filtration systems and shit in their garage, all going through pristine brushed stainless steel pots on hand welded stations

You can (and I have) brew fantastic fucking beer in a goddamned plastic bucket with tap water and malt in your basement or kitchen.

I really only see those fantastic contraptions as someone with a whole lot of free time
Agreed. Still, would be pretty cool to brew 50 gallons of beer at one shot.

Of course, if it sucks it sucks at 50 gallons instead of 5. So there's that.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Beer brewing just like any other hobby, is a hobby. Like @MurphCO said, you can make a damn fine beer using 5 gallon buckets.
I still have my still, but haven’t screwed with it in years

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
I am/was a chef so I still think in that way. I don't like super hoppy things so I would do brown ales, stouts, porters and the like. Eventually a light and clean wheat beer. I don't/can't drink nearly enough to be able to experiment with all of them though.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator

Fast, simple, consistent.
I had a similar rig. 3-tier gravity with recirculating infusion mash system. In the garage, then piped from the brew kettle down to a hopper fermenter in the basement. Then gravity down into 5-gallon soda tanks. Then CO2 pressurized up to 3 taps out on my sun porch.

I ground my own grains, and even cultured my own yeast.

But I was drinking waaaay too much beer, so I just stopped, and sold and gave most of my equipment away. It was fun, but I don't really miss it.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
I’m going back in thinking 5 gallons every couple of months unless I’m trying to brew for a holiday or something

DiggerNick

Donator
Got my ginger beer bottled and carbonating and I now have a nice crisp lager going in the fermenter.

I'm on holidays for the second half of this month so I'm hoping to have something to drink in three weeks time.