home brewers, wine or mead makers or home distillers on the bag?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i have been advised buy my attorney that it is non functional "steam punk" art. and thats the story im sticking to. ;)

Turfmower

I'm want to build a sparge arm for my Keggle to do all grain. cant decide on a design. Is a rotating arm have any advantages over a fixed arm?

I assume you're fly sparging if you need a sparge arm. Why not batch sparge? No additional parts required other than a mash tun. www.homebrewtalk.com is a great resource and you can get plenty of design ideas from there.

Turfmower

I just open one of the Bourbon porters i bottle last week It was incredible only one week in the bottles i have to make myself let it finish in thee bottles a few weeks before i crack open more.

THE FEZ MAN

that is exactly why i wont make beer, i know how i am, i will make two cases and i wont ever let it finish....

THE FEZ MAN

[/IMG]
three or four hours of spare time..... ready to burn and boil.

THE FEZ MAN

proof of concept is complete, i have enjoyed clean clear distilled water from my steam punk art

icculus1284

Not sure if I should post here, or the beer connoisseur thread, so I'll ask in both places:

I've never aged any beer before, but I've got this Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, that I'd like to put away. They've been in the refrigerator for about 2.5 hours already, and I think if I pulled them out now it'd jeopardize the integrity of the brew.

So what do I need to do? Go buy more and stick them under the kitchen sink? Or can I just let them age for several months in the refrigerator?

icculus1284

The girlfriend bought me the premium Mr. Beer starter kit for our 1 year anniversary. Pretty excited for my first foray into home brewing.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
The girlfriend bought me the premium Mr. Beer starter kit for our 1 year anniversary. Pretty excited for my first foray into home brewing.
It's fun! (Don't use maple syrup to carbonate. Gives it a funny taste.)

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
One of my old Chemistry Professors. would distill liquor and brew beer in his garage just for the hell of it. White lightning he called his products.

icculus1284

I'm going to follow the instructions to a T this first batch. I don't want to risk ruining the brew and risk turning me off of home brewing altogether.

First batch is a pale ale.

Looks like I was looking at this or another similar kit in 2010, according to one of my posts in this thread.

icculus1284

I'm going to follow the instructions to a T this first batch. I don't want to risk ruining the brew and risk turning me off of home brewing altogether.

Looks like I was looking at this or another similar kit in 2010, according to one of my posts in this thread.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
One of my old Chemistry Professors. would distill liquor and brew beer in his garage just for the hell of it. White lightning he called his products.
Wow... that's original.

imaslacker

The instructions should be ok but I suggest you let everything age longer than they say. I like to ferment for a couple weeks then leave in the bottles for at least 2 weeks. It's drinkable at 1 but it def improves as it ages.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
The instructions should be ok but I suggest you let everything age longer than they say. I like to ferment for a couple weeks then leave in the bottles for at least 2 weeks. It's drinkable at 1 but it def improves as it ages.
I tried telling someone that. They just made their first batch and bottled after it reached it's final gravity in 5 days. Good luck with that.

icculus1284

I was already planning on letting it ferment for 14 before bottling. Then I was going to drink one after 7 days and the rest after 14 for comparison's sake. The instructions suggested 7 or 14, and seemed to encourage the 14 day mark.

I can afford beer otherwise; and I want to drink something that tastes good that I made myself. Something to be proud of, not some swill.

icculus1284

Anyway, I'm assuming it's typical for the keg to feel pressurized because of the yeast. I don't want to be woken up by this thing exploding.

I do wish the keg was clear though, I'd like to be able to see the process working.

THE FEZ MAN

you do have an air lock in it dont you? if your fermenting in a sealed container your going to have a hell of a mess on your hands, also you dont want to "see" what is going on, yeast doesn't like light and ferments much better in the dark undisturbed, i know its killing you im the same way.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Actually, the keg won't pressurize much, because the lid has built in grooves that allow the fermentation to "breathe", for lack of a better word. This system doesn't carbonate like a closed system would, which is why you need the secondary fermentation in the bottles. So you won't experience much pressure in the keg. I wish it was clear too; I'd love to see the bubbling action inside as the yeast does its thing.

One piece of advice: Don't convince yourself the shit at the bottom of the keg is drinkable. It's not, and tastes like stank ass. Looks like a nice thick creamy whatever it is, but tastes horrible.

THE FEZ MAN

shhhhhh just let him try it, kind of like ear wax..... and we all know how great that is dont we kids? :action-sm

THE FEZ MAN

do not attempt to drink 160proof ethanol right out of the gadget, i causes instant vomiting and an intense burning and tingling in your mouth that doesn't go away for an hour or two i think i need to cut it a tad.

CousinDave

I got my brother's 10 year old kid this set for Christmas

Coopers Brewery DIY Beer Kit - $110 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F0O7W/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

In Ohio its legal for kids to consume alcohol in the presence of a parent or legal gardian on private property where alcohol is not sold (although I'm pretty sure letting a kid get drunk would be considered child abuse) so anyway its legal for a kid to own the equipment and to make the stuff - although this kid is super lazy so my brother did everything.

Anyway the first batch they made was surprisingly good (well better than any kid of Bud) but the plastic bottles suck and I think it'd be nice if the kid came with a CD or linked to a website so you could print your own labels.

THE FEZ MAN

you can make up labels in photo shop or works and just print them on sticky paper its not rocket science