Home electricity fun

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
So my 220V outlet that my oven was plugged into basically exploded yesterday. I was pre-heating the oven for Easter goodness when I heard that classic VOOOMP! tesla coil movie sound and a flame shot up my wall - then my whole house lost power. I go downstairs, the 220V breaker is tripped as well as the Main. I unplug everything, flip on the main, leave the oven one off. Everything works fine. I pull the oven away from the wall and there's this old looking outlet with a huge 3 prong outlet like this one:

It looks pretty burnt. I'm sure it's shot. My question is, what are the odds that the whole oven is destroyed too? Could that surge fry the computer or whatever it is that regulates the oven/stove?

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Slim to none. Most likely the outlet internals broke and touched each other. They get brittle with age. Could be just years of debris shorted it too. Hook up a new outlet and start cooking if wires and sheath are not burnt.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Slim to none. Most likely the outlet internals broke and touched each other. They get brittle with age. Could be just years of debris shorted it too. Hook up a new outlet and start cooking if wires and sheath are not burnt.
This, put a new female receptacle in the wall and a male on the oven cord and you should be good to go.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
This, put a new female receptacle in the wall and a male on the oven cord and you should be good to go.
Just get a new cord instead of replacing the male. Much easier to screw onto the oven.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Aug 1, 2006
Charleston, SC
happens all the time on high amp appliances, the older the plug the looser the connection, that causes heat, and heat melts. stove is fine. Go to lowes and get both the male and the female, be sure to cut back any burnt wire in the receptacle, and try to get the entire cord and plug as one for the stove, it will last longer than cutting in a plug to the old stove cord. Also the outlet will have the amp rating listed on it.

PS- if it is aluminum wire call some one and have them pull copper wire if your staying in your house for the next few years, safer. If its copper its a DIY job, BUT KILL AND LOCK THE BREAKER