Home networking question

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I got a new laptop this week and I want to set it up so I can move the files from my old desktop to this new laptop. The desktop runs XP and the laptop has Vista Home Premium. I know how to share files, but I can't figure out how to get the two computers to see eachother. They're both getting online through the same router and their ip addresses are in line with one another. How do I set up a mini-home network so I don't have to waste time and DVDs to transfer all my songs and movies?

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
First, make sure the workgroup name is the same on all computers. Your XP machine is probably MSHOME, while Vista machines come set as WORKGROUP.

The computers should be visible when you go to network places, view workgroup computers.

On vista, you have to turn on public folder sharing if you want to see the computer. If not you can use the \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME method to see the computer.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
You can also get the ip address of the XP machine by typing ipconfig from a command prompt.
Then type \\192.xxx.x.xxx (fill in the x's with the ip address.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
You can also get the ip address of the XP machine by typing ipconfig from a command prompt.
Then type \\192.xxx.x.xxx (fill in the x's with the ip address.
Yeah, the ip addresses are in line. 192.xxx.x.100 and 192.xxx.x.101. The XP is 101 and I can ping the vista machine, but when, on the Vista command prompt I "ping 192.xxx.x.101" it times out.

Also, when I type \\192.xxx.x.XPaddy I get "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
Yeah, the ip addresses are in line. 192.xxx.x.100 and 192.xxx.x.101. The XP is 101 and I can ping the vista machine, but when, on the Vista command prompt I "ping 192.xxx.x.101" it times out.

Also, when I type \\192.xxx.x.XPaddy I get "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
You must be typing something wrong, if anything you'd get an error saying the WORKGROUP was not found.

On XP - Start --> Run \\IP ADDRESS

On Vista - Windows Icon (Lower left) and in the text box right above it you type \\IPADRESS

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
I'd get an OEM copy of XP and put it on your laptop.
Or, just understand how to use Vista and save yourself the $89.

Its amazing how people trash Vista because they dont know how to use it.

I just backed up a customer's XP machine on my Vista computer and it worked!!! Maybe I'm just one of the REALLY lucky ones.

Jun 15, 2006
Long Island
It was a bitch to get filesharing working properly on Vista. But as said make sure its in the same workgroup and make sure filesharing is ON in the networking settings. Then you should see the XP machine in the "MY NETWORK PLACES", and if you have filesharing turned on for the folders you should be fine to transfer. If you want to access your Vista Files on the XP machine make sure in the sharing permissions for each folder you have it se to "EVERYONE" otherwise your going to get access errors.

I removed Vista from my laptop cause it was a pain to do one thing I would have to change like 2 or 3 different settings, maybe if all my machines has Vista it would work better but trying to do things from Vista to XP is a pain, oh and if you want to share a printer on your XP machine GOOD FREAKING LUCK, you have to pretty much do this crazy trick Vista its a local Printer thing(there are instructions, use the google to find them)

foyb

Mar 18, 2007
Crawfordsville, IN
First off disable user access control, it's a pain in the ass, and most people don't need it. Next turn on network discovery, and file sharing. Again, double check that your networking settings are the same on both computers. If you have the firewall enabled, you won't be able to ping from the vista machine

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
OK I can ping the xp from the vista, and vice versa. I have the network discovery on. I have both computers in the same work group...and I still can't get the computers to see eachother. :(

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I'd get an OEM copy of XP and put it on your laptop.
And fuck yourself in the ass in the process. Most systems that come with Vista preinstalled do not have XP drivers available for their components. Therefore half your shit wont work right.

Also, I second the post that people need to quit bitching and just adjust. XP is all but dead now, and its time to move on.

Ive had no issues with file and folder sharing on Vista, personally. Set sharing to on, share the individual folder, and //192.168.x.xxx for the PC I wanna connect to and BOOM my shared folder appear (well, in my case they appear after putting in my login).