OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Homebrew mobile electronics

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by CougarHunter, May 30, 2012.

1. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

I have been looking for a nice, secure all-in-one upright mount and charging platform for my Android device which will be used as a GPS, MP3 player, and a video recorder (not all at once) while mounted on my motorcycle. Use as an actual telephone is not a priority, and pretty unlikely. Power requirement would be micro USB @ ~1A in order to stay charged under the load of being used as a GPS (the battery gets zapped in just a few hours using C:Geo with GPS on). The bike is a 250 Honda and only has an output of like 19A to run everything, so not a lot of power to waste with strings of adapters and converters and such and not a lot of places to hide that sort of stuff.

I can't really find anything like that in one elegant package suitable for a motorcycle, everything homebrew that I've seen looks pretty cobbled together with wires and shit all over. With it being potentially exposed to the elements at times, it needs to be fairly weather resistant and robust.

Option 1: I'm thinking I might have to come up with some sort of sheet metal accessory dash that encapsulates my instrument cluster between the handlebars and the windshield. From this dash, an upright mounting point would rise up behind the windshield in order for a weather resistant case to hold the phone sideways with the front touch screen being accessible through clear vinyl at the front, as well as having a clear vinyl window out the back for the camera portion. Inside the dash, the 12v-5v converter could hide, along with perhaps another accessory or two like a weatherproof panel mount USB for a small led lamp, a mounting point for a small bag, or a cup holder.

Option 2: Thanks to some kid, my motorcycle is currently without a right hand mirror. That leaves a 10mm threaded hole in the throttle and switch box assembly in which I could thread in an upright mount of some sort. From that upright, the actual platform that the phone would rest on would be on a ball mount, so that it would be tilted at the proper angle to my point of vision to serve as a GPS, or straight up and down for use as a camera. The power cable would be more exposed, in that it would likely be some sort of usb cable that was either shrink-tubed or ziptied to the upright, and just left to dangle when the phone wasn't mounted.

Option 3: Fuck the motorcycle, and just drive the truck all the time, which has all that shit built in and goes in the snow and rain.

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank.

3. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

That's a functional box but sorta crappy. These are very good. http://www.rammount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

Here is the best power plug available to go with it. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-030-0012/BMW-Accessory-Socket

Touratech also has several other mounts/cases available as well. If case these cases are not acceptable you can ask around ADVrider and I am certain someone has done what you are looking for already. http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

4. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

A hybrid between this box and the mount setup that Blue suggested would be good. I really want to clean up the power cables and integrate them better, as well. I'm familiar with powerlet items, and they look pretty good, but I've seen some better panel mount ones that have a screw down waterproof cap that would seal up the power really nice.

5. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

It's a cheap plastic knockoff of a RAM mount. http://www.rammount.com/products/motorcycles.htm#/wizard
    RAM mounts are the shit even the suction cups can be tightened down to glass to the point you would break the glass removing it if not released.

Can the wiring be ran along side the existing cables and wires to be unnoticed? or chased through bars?