Homemade Beef Jerky

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Anyone here do homemade beef jerky? I'm trying my hand at it tonight, found a recipe on https://www.jerkyholic.com/dragon-fire-beef-jerky/

Actually, I printed up a bunch of these recipes, but the one posted is what I'm making. I did a couple of minor substitutions; in deference to my wife's bariatric surgery and her sensitive stomach, I substituted the habanero peppers with jalapeno peppers and added a little red pepper to make up the difference.

Any of you guys have any cool recipes?

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
I’ve made it a few times and always just end up buying it from the farmers market, mainly because it’s so much work and the results never turn out the way I want them to

NotSoFast

They have other flavors. I like a smoky, salty jerky. Not keen on the spicy stuff.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

They have other flavors. I like a smoky, salty jerky. Not keen on the spicy stuff.
That's a very cool dehydrator. I may have to give myself a gift.

The jerky came out really good. I used the recipe I quoted above, and made the modifications noted. A nice mild burn, a little smoke flavor, could have used just a tad more salt. Overall, very nice first attempt.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my game though; that dehydrator looks like the tits.

NotSoFast

That dehydrator is great. Digital timer and temp. Hight Temps for meat, low for fruits, etc. Get an extra set of trays. It can use up to twelve but comes with six. Trust me and get the extras.

THE FEZ MAN

I have a dehydrator I think I used it maybe 4-5 times it’s now in the shed

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
I have a dehydrator I think I used it maybe 4-5 times it’s now in the shed
Yeah, I'm sure mine will meet that fate as well in a month or so. For now though, I'm liking the whole jerky I know what's in it kick.

Haeder

South Dakota
Anyone here do homemade beef jerky? I'm trying my hand at it tonight, found a recipe on https://www.jerkyholic.com/dragon-fire-beef-jerky/

Actually, I printed up a bunch of these recipes, but the one posted is what I'm making. I did a couple of minor substitutions; in deference to my wife's bariatric surgery and her sensitive stomach, I substituted the habanero peppers with jalapeno peppers and added a little red pepper to make up the difference.

Any of you guys have any cool recipes?
I live a half hour from a Jack Link's facility. I'll ask them for a recipe or two for you.

THE FEZ MAN

Yeah, I'm sure mine will meet that fate as well in a month or so. For now though, I'm liking the whole jerky I know what's in it kick.

Like I said I buy mine from the local Amish farmers market, a few years ago I bite into a piece and instantly I bite into something that doesn’t belong, I pry it out of my tooth... it’s #7-8 bird shot.... I check the rest of the piece and dissect out three more pellets, I dump out the rest of the bag... and carefully check it and find 5 more in different pieces with bird shot in it, apparently that cow had taken a load of shot at one point in its life... ya got to love the Amish.
And yes, I still buy their jerky, I have a real jerky “problem”

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Like I said I buy mine from the local Amish farmers market, a few years ago I bite into a piece and instantly I bite into something that doesn’t belong, I pry it out of my tooth... it’s #7-8 bird shot.... I check the rest of the piece and dissect out three more pellets, I dump out the rest of the bag... and carefully check it and find 5 more in different pieces with bird shot in it, apparently that cow had taken a load of shot at one point in its life... ya got to love the Amish.
And yes, I still buy their jerky, I have a real jerky “problem”
Eating a steak from a steer my friend bought from his neighbor, I bit a 22 LR bullet. I bought a half a beef from a rancher friend and chomped a bullet from a Marlin 22 Mag rifle with Micro-Groove©®™ rifling. Black cattle lead dangerous lives.

Eating a steak from a steer my friend bought from his neighbor, I bit a 22 LR bullet. I bought a half a beef from a rancher friend and chomped a bullet from a Marlin 22 Mag rifle with Micro-Groove©®™ rifling. Black cattle lead dangerous lives.
Perhaps you're just not flossing properly.

Haeder

South Dakota
They would do that?
Yeah. I know a few people that work there. They aren't using some sort of secret proprietary blend of 11 herbs and spices. They're using better quality cuts of beef than most jerky places and paying proper attention to quality control.

NotSoFast

This is my favorite commercial jerky. Dry as a bone, smoky and salty.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Ever buy a bag and find a little hole in the back and all the pieces are covered in white mold? Me too.

5skin

Somewhere on Molly Ringwald
http://beefbark.com/products/
https://www.smokinggunjerky.com/

Two of the best jerkys I've had.
It's definitely not like that crappy Jack Links garbage.

When I make my own I don't bother with a bought seasoning, just throw in what you like with some soy sauce and put it in the oven on low. No need for any special equipment or prepared seasoning.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
http://beefbark.com/products/
https://www.smokinggunjerky.com/

Two of the best jerkys I've had.
It's definitely not like that crappy Jack Links garbage.

When I make my own I don't bother with a bought seasoning, just throw in what you like with some soy sauce and put it in the oven on low. No need for any special equipment or prepared seasoning.
That's been my thing too so far, except for the oven part. Using a bullshit dehydrator I picked up cheap. But the seasonings are all out of my spice rack and bottles of stuff. Worcestershire sauce, soy, pepper, shit like that.

I have one recipe that calls for maple syrup; thinking that with some habaneros might be interesting.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
Check out Alton Brown's version

Haeder

South Dakota
Here ya go.

500 pounds of inside round steak - trimmed and cut in to uniform strips
5 gallons soy sauce
5 gallons cracked peppercorns
5 gallons salt
5 gallons ground garlic

Combine ingredients in vacuum tumbler for 2 hours

Rest mix in 30 degree refrigeration room for 2 days

Cure in walk-in smoker for approximately 6 hours or until desired moisture content target is achieved

Package finished jerky with nitrogen and desiccant packet and heat seal

Enjoy

DiggerNick

Donator
I live a half hour from a Jack Link's facility. I'll ask them for a recipe or two for you.
I fucking love their jerkey. The more 'soft' texture is very hard to do at home. I'm pretty sure it's because they use a more sugar-based curing than salt. Their jerky is almost candied.

It's been a long time since I made jerky but I've been thinking about doing it again. The Jack Links style is the one I am aiming for.