Honda or Toyota?

sued

Now you know
Hi all- Im still shopping for a new car. Ive got it whittled down to the Honda Pilot or Odessey or the Toyota Sienna or Highlander. Im really hating the idea of a minivan but I think with carpooling the kids it makes sense. Does anyone have any strong opinions on any of these models? I have a Pilot now and like it.. It drives like a car which is nice. The downside is it barely fits up my driveway so Id prefer not to get another one. They are all in the same price range more or less. I want the DVD and nav systems so I know Im adding a bit to the price.

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Be a man and get a gas-guzzling domestic SUV. Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, etc.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
You can get an AWD version of the Sienna, but don't get a factory navigation system, you can get a better, cheaper one that will fit in the double bin (factory radio spot.)

mik3

fornicating madly
Guy I used to ride share with had an 06 Highlander, I really liked it. AWD, drove well, felt much bigger inside than it looked outside. Decent mileage for a 6cyl.

I have an 06 Odyssey and it's awesome if you have kids. I test drove the Toyota too and honestly I thought they were neck and neck for features and comfort. My decision came down to the price. The Toyota dealers around here weren't willing to give me a good price on my trade. I did a lot of research on www.edmunds.com in their forum section.

Get the NAVI. We couldn't afford it at the time and later I got an Acura TSX which has basically the same navi system. It fucking rocks.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Im a honda man. I have the ridgline which was designed on the same frome as the pilot. Well built machine. the mother fucker is a tank! I vote Honda

Either one willl last you 200,000+ miles easily if you keep up on the maintenance.

wetandstickyjim

Drop dead retard!
I know you asked Honda or Toyotta but I'm putting in my vote for the Dodge Caravan with fold and go seats and auto doors. We wanted an Odyssy but they wouldn't budge on price. We got a great deal on the, excuse me, Grand Caravan, and I don't like it, I LOVE IT! Had it for three years on lease. The new model looks great and we're upgrading this month. No mechanical problems with it and it's a champ and nice to drive and plenty of room. I wouldn't touch any other domestic model these days except for Chrysler mainly becaue of their affiliation with Mercedes.

Whatever. I hope you end up happy with your decision. Good luck, Fella!

Got One?

.....and she was a stewardess.
first choice for my next truck is toyota by far.

I wouldn't touch any other domestic model these days except for Chrysler mainly becaue of their affiliation with Mercedes.
Most American cars made in the past 10 years are mechanically sound, but for some reason they can't get the drivability and road manners that the Asian car makers can. Even Hyundai/Kia makes decent cars now, most of them built in America.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Be a man and get a gas-guzzling domestic SUV. Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, etc.
She's a girl silly.

I have an 06 Odyssey and it's awesome if you have kids. I test drove the Toyota too and honestly I thought they were neck and neck for features and comfort. My decision came down to the price. The Toyota dealers around here weren't willing to give me a good price on my trade. I did a lot of research on www.edmunds.com in their forum section.

Get the NAVI. We couldn't afford it at the time and later I got an Acura TSX which has basically the same navi system. It fucking rocks.
If you have kids to tote, The Honda Odyssey is the best vehicle there has ever been. We have an '02 with 80,000 miles and it's as solid as day 1. Everything still works perfectly, the thing gets better than 23 MPG on the highway and sports a 240Hp V-TEC motor that really helps it get up and go. Honda is the company that figured out how to make a family van and all the other companies have been playing catch up. If you have more than 2 kids to drive around don't get an SUV. My wife really wanted a Van and I was trying to convince her otherwise, having been on trips with the family in this thing, you'd be crazy to try to stuff everything in an SUV. We go on vacation sometimes for 10 days to N.C. and drive. I fit everything we need in the back 3 kids and all, No cargo carrier bullshit on the roof.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
You can't go wrong with either Toyota or Honda.

But, the Toyota Highlander is a damn fine vehicle. And, if you don't want to fall into the soccermom stereotype with the whole minivan thing, get a Highlander.

Here's another possibility you may have overlooked:

Get a 4Runner with the 3rd row seat.

Personally, I always feel safer with a full-frame truck-type vehicle than a unibody type...

Toyota's 4.0 V6 is 240 HP like the Honda. It's an excellent engine. They use it in the Tundra pickup, the 4Runner, and the FJ Cruiser.

Get the extended warranty (6 year 100K or 6 year 75K). You'll probably never use it, but it's nice peace of mind to have. If you never use it, Toyota refunds your money. You can't lose.

Another thing to consider is buy a Certified Used. They come with a 6 year 100K warranty included.

Odometer from my last Toyota

It wasn't a van but that should give you an indication of some quality somewhere.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
both companies make great, long lasting vehicles....when i was a mechanic I found Toyo to be slightly better tho...

i know many drivers of the Highlanders and they love em...but none have kids...the odyssey seems to be the vehicle for those with kids, especially with the remote controled rear doors...

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
or get a tacoma 4 door and put folding chairs in the bed :)

striker

Why yes, I am an asshole, so what?
I know you asked Honda or Toyotta but I'm putting in my vote for the Dodge Caravan with fold and go seats and auto doors. We wanted an Odyssy but they wouldn't budge on price. We got a great deal on the, excuse me, Grand Caravan, and I don't like it, I LOVE IT! Had it for three years on lease. The new model looks great and we're upgrading this month. No mechanical problems with it and it's a champ and nice to drive and plenty of room. I wouldn't touch any other domestic model these days except for Chrysler mainly becaue of their affiliation with Mercedes.
well Chrysler ended their relationship with Mercedes. So on that note, I would choose the Mercedes R class minivan, a base R class is in the $35 to $45K range, but for $80K you can get a 500 hp AWD Mercedes minivan that will outhandle any Asian car on the road. Personally I would go with the Dodge Caravan or Chrysler.

first choice for my next truck is toyota by far.
why? they have slipped drastically in reliability ratings for the last 3 yrs

Most American cars made in the past 10 years are mechanically sound, but for some reason they can't get the drivability and road manners that the Asian car makers can. Even Hyundai/Kia makes decent cars now, most of them built in America.
Still won't own a Jap. car, don't care where they are made, have had 2 in the last 15 yrs, both were piece of shit. Last one was a Nissan, $2K in emissions repairs and they still couldn't get it to pass.

Or buy a Corvette and leave the kids at home.
or push the current car full of kids off the end of a boat ramp and blame it on a negro :haha7::haha7::haha7: liiiiiiiiinger looooonger

On that note, I know 4 people with new Toyota's, they all are having multiple drivetrain issues, one is going into lemon law litigation with Toyota for an '07 Tacoma, with under 15K miles, that has had the tranny replaced 3 times in a year. The wife and I were at a winter driving school recently, one of the other students had a Ridgeline, even with aggressive winter tires, it sucked ass on ice and snow. Had to be pulled out of the snow three times, twice after getting stuck with the instructor driving it.

The Toyota transmission thing is something that I have heard of before. It caused the Camry to slip out of the best buy category of most of the car magazines. I didn't know that extended to the vans and trucks as well.

I love my '01 Jeep. I fuckin punish that thing and it asks for more. It's pretty much bone stock right now.

What about the BMW pod vans?? They all look alike to me.

My old man has a Toy truck.. '98 and he doesn't maintain it. Still going with over 250K.

Funny I don't see any Ford recommendations here.. Drive a 550 SD at work. Garbage.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
We have 4 Fords. I don't plan on buying any more. If/when I ever buy a new vehicle it'll most likely be a Toyota.

sued

Now you know
I hate the idea of a minvan but when I looked at the Odyessy it is really impressive. I havent really looked at the Sienna yet but when we rented a SUV this summer on vaca they gave us a Highlander & it was ok, kind of soft ride.

The prob is Ive been driving my husbands Mercedes E350 for a few days and that thing really moves beautifully. I had forgotten how nicely a car can drive. The Honda is fine, does the job well but wow does that MB feel good.