Honor Harrington and other David Weber Series

BIV

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

OK, so here's something I don't get - why the fuck would Wave Thunder reveal so many details about the SNARC data to Nahrmahn? Like to the point of describing a specific meeting in great detail. I mean, I understand the ostensible purpose because Wave Thunder flat out told him - to scare the shit out of him. BUT, following Merlin's logic by not wanting to jump off the Cathedral balcony in front of all those people, isn't that a little too revealing? Meh, maybe they think Nahrmahn is "philosophically flexible" enough to not get scared into thinking that Merlin is some kind of demon. Also, I guess that line is already crossed with the Church anyway. What are they going to do, accuse Charis of heresy? lol.

Hmmm... I guess I kinda worked it out myself. I dunno. It still felt a bit weird that they did it in that direct and detailed manner.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
BIV

BUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFER

OK, so here's something I don't get - why the fuck would Wave Thunder reveal so many details about the SNARC data to Nahrmahn? Like to the point of describing a specific meeting in great detail. I mean, I understand the ostensible purpose because Wave Thunder flat out told him - to scare the shit out of him. BUT, following Merlin's logic by not wanting to jump off the Cathedral balcony in front of all those people, isn't that a little too revealing? Meh, maybe they think Nahrmahn is "philosophically flexible" enough to not get scared into thinking that Merlin is some kind of demon. Also, I guess that line is already crossed with the Church anyway. What are they going to do, accuse Charis of heresy? lol.

Hmmm... I guess I kinda worked it out myself. I dunno. It still felt a bit weird that they did it in that direct and detailed manner.

I think the idea was that intel and espionage are Nahrmahn's specialty. It was the very last straw to say "not only can you not beat us militarily, we own you everywhere." Just to show exactly how desperate his situation is...maybe even to have him scared of shadows once a deal is made as well.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Posted this in the Free & Discounted Books Thread also:

On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) - 4.5 stars, 317 reviews (FREE & DRM FREE)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARPJBS0/?tag=wackbagcom-20

INTRODUCING
HONOR HARRINGTON

Having made him look a fool, she's been exiled to Basilisk Station in disgrace and set up for ruin by a superior who hates her.

Her demoralized crew blames her for their ship's humiliating posting to an out-of-the-way picket station.

The aborigines of the system's only habitable planet are smoking homicide-inducing hallucinogens.

Parliament isn't sure it wants to keep the place; the major local industry is smuggling; the merchant cartels want her head; the star-conquering, so-called "Republic" of Haven is Up To Something; and Honor Harrington has a single, over-age light cruiser with an armament that doesn't work to police the entire star system.

But the people out to get her have made one mistake. They've made her mad.

At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (DRM Rights Management).

BIV

If you don't own this, you hate kittens and freedom.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
Is the Safehold series on audiobook? For the record, I don't care for audiobooks. But I'm getting into Schism and I'm in a weird place with it. I'm more interested in it than involved in it, if that makes any sense. And carrying around a tome like that can be unwieldly, but I hate e-readers, and I wouldn't buy one exclusively for this series. I also don't think it's available in paperback. So I might consider listening to the rest of the books more than reading them, which is something I never thought I'd do.

For that matter, is there an Android app that lets you bookmark an audio file? Because sometimes I'll be listening to a Ron and Fez episode, and I'd like to save my spot so I can listen to other things but can't or at least I don't know how to.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Is the Safehold series on audiobook? For the record, I don't care for audiobooks. But I'm getting into Schism and I'm in a weird place with it. I'm more interested in it than involved in it, if that makes any sense. And carrying around a tome like that can be unwieldly, but I hate e-readers, and I wouldn't buy one exclusively for this series. I also don't think it's available in paperback. So I might consider listening to the rest of the books more than reading them, which is something I never thought I'd do.

For that matter, is there an Android app that lets you bookmark an audio file? Because sometimes I'll be listening to a Ron and Fez episode, and I'd like to save my spot so I can listen to other things but can't or at least I don't know how to.
http://www.audible.com/series/ref=sr_1_1_sa/?asin=B006QORQ74

Looks like some of the later book narrators aren't getting great reviews.

BIV

I hated e-readers...Until I owned one. Find a kindle keyboard on craigslist. Should be fairly cheap and you'll thank me.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

LiddyRules

I hated e-readers...Until I owned one. Find a kindle keyboard on craigslist. Should be fairly cheap and you'll thank me.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
I've tried e-readers. I dislike them. I like the gayness of a physical book. How each thing you read has a different weight, a different feel, a different look. I stare at a computer monitor constantly, I like the reprieve that comes with staring at actual pages.

And it can also work as an ice breaker.

I've tried e-readers. I dislike them. I like the gayness of a physical book. How each thing you read has a different weight, a different feel, a different look. I stare at a computer monitor constantly, I like the reprieve that comes with staring at actual pages.

And it can also work as an ice breaker.
I find that an e-ink reader as opposed to a backlit one feels enough like reading paper that I don't mind. I do miss the uniqueness of each book in terms of weight as size, as you mention, but not enough to justify the hassle involved. I read so much more because I use a Kindle that it more than makes up for the deficiency in tactile experience.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Mort Audiobook player (there's a music player also, make sure you get the audiobook one). It's free and great. The UI is a little raw, simply because there are a ton of options and features and it's tough to confine those to a neat package. However, it works great. It will automatically return to wherever you left off, and you have the option of manually bookmarking locations in a file.

BIV

I find that an e-ink reader as opposed to a backlit one feels enough like reading paper that I don't mind. I do miss the uniqueness of each book in terms of weight as size, as you mention, but not enough to justify the hassle involved. I read so much more because I use a Kindle that it more than makes up for the deficiency in tactile experience.
Then there is this. I'm at work, and I just checked a book out from the library.

I prefer the old school books. But this thing is just too convenient not to have.

But, yeah, it has to be the E-ink versions.

Then there is this. I'm at work, and I just checked a book out from the library.

I prefer the old school books. But this thing is just too convenient not to have.

But, yeah, it has to be the E-ink versions.
Can't tell you how many times I bought a new book off Amazon at 1 AM because I finished the previous one. I've gotten used to it, but when I first started using a Kindle the ability to do that completely sold me. Going to the book store was always such a hassle and there was no guarantee you'd find anything.

whiskeyguy

Donator
I have four or five plastic bins filled with books... and on my Kindle I currently have enough books to fill 1-2 of those bins. If I'm waiting at the doctor's office or DMV or wherever, I can pick up my phone and start at the same place I left off on my Kindle. It's just too fucking convenient.

I agree that you can't do serious reading on a back-lit device. The batteries die to often, the reading is harder on your eyes, and there are too many distractions.

LiddyRules

Unlike you philistines, I am willing to forgo convenience for class.

Also the audiobooks are >$50 and more than 24 hours a piece? That will take me longer time than actually reading the book. Assuming I do ~50 pages a day, which is my going rate. I will be done with Schism in about 10 days. If I want to get done with schism in about the same amount of time, I'd need to listen 2.5 hours a day, and it doesn't take me 2.5 hours to read 50 pages. And I find it hard to listen to talk radio while doing work as it is. That's why I've given up the shows for the most part.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Unlike you philistines, I am willing to forgo convenience for class.
I wouldn't feel too classy taken out my Twilight novel while carpooling between the gun range and the boxing gym yesterday... with the Kindle what I'm reading is secret. :action-sm

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I wouldn't feel too classy taken out my Twilight novel while carpooling between the gun range and the boxing gym yesterday... with the Kindle what I'm reading is secret. :action-sm
Trust me, no one is gonna be surprised if you pull out Twilight. ;)

LiddyRules

When you go into the woods and hear something, you can imagine it's Jacob coming to provide you with body warmth.

I also said that I like the ice breaker aspect of a real book. I can't say that it's gotten me much action, but it has gotten me conversations.

whiskeyguy

Donator
When you go into the woods and hear something, you can imagine it's Jacob coming to provide you with body warmth.
I'm almost 30, which means I'm about 29 years too old for Jacob.

I also said that I like the ice breaker aspect of a real book. I can't say that it's gotten me much action, but it has gotten me conversations.
Yeah I kind of miss that also... although it actually doesn't happen that much. A couple of years ago the "is that a Kindle" questions started more conversations than "I read that book" ever did, but not so much these days. Also I don't really read in public, because public transportation isn't viable around here so there's not a lot of opportunity to do so. You living in a city also means you will pass as many people in a two block walk than I would in 20 blocks (probably more actually).

whiskeyguy

Donator
Trust me, no one is gonna be surprised if you pull out Twilight. ;)
I think they would be surprised that I finished all the Nancy Drew novels so quickly and moved on to something else.

BIV

Being a Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan, this is a major plus.

Being a Sci-Fi and Fantasy fan, this is a major plus.
Fuck that. Like anyone who would look down on you for reading Sci-fi/Fantasy is reading anything better.

BIV

Fuck that. Like anyone who would look down on you for reading Sci-fi/Fantasy is reading anything better.
It's not so much what I'm reading, it's the stupid fucking covers.

LiddyRules

I finished Schism and I think I'm done with Safehold. I gave it two books and it just didn't connect with me. By the end of the second one, elements I liked in the first one even began to annoy me. I don't care about the schematics of the bullets anymore. I didn't care about another naval battle. And Cayleb and his "he's not just smart and brave and intelligent and handsome too!" had me skimming over large sections. If the next books move things ahead more and we see civilization significantly progressing into "modern" and "future" times, I might give it a shot. But book 2 didn't do much for me, and I realized that I didn't care for any character. In a lot of sections, I felt like I was watching SNARC feeds in real time, which I guess may be the point but, I don't know.

And I know it sounds like I hated the book. I didn't. I'm being overly negative because that's how I am and it's more fun to bitch than to say the stuff I liked. I enjoyed reading it, and I don't regret reading it. But I don't want to spend another couple thousand pages there.

I finished Schism and I think I'm done with Safehold. I gave it two books and it just didn't connect with me. By the end of the second one, elements I liked in the first one even began to annoy me. I don't care about the schematics of the bullets anymore. I didn't care about another naval battle. And Cayleb and his "he's not just smart and brave and intelligent and handsome too!" had me skimming over large sections. If the next books move things ahead more and we see civilization significantly progressing into "modern" and "future" times, I might give it a shot. But book 2 didn't do much for me, and I realized that I didn't care for any character. In a lot of sections, I felt like I was watching SNARC feeds in real time, which I guess may be the point but, I don't know.

And I know it sounds like I hated the book. I didn't. I'm being overly negative because that's how I am and it's more fun to bitch than to say the stuff I liked. I enjoyed reading it, and I don't regret reading it. But I don't want to spend another couple thousand pages there.
I figured it might appeal to you on an intellectual level, not so much an emotional one, but especially after reading High Rise I think I have a better handle on what books that I've read you would like and which you wouldn't. Like I have a feeling you would really enjoy Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh because it's about psychological manipulation, seduction, mindfuckery, and it gets pretty messed up. Maybe not nihilistic in the same way High Rise is, but I think its exploration of the darker corners of the psyche would appeal to you. It was also written by a woman, so it does emotional manipulation quite well. One scene in particular in that book really bothered me.

LiddyRules

I figured it might appeal to you on an intellectual level, not so much an emotional one, but especially after reading High Rise I think I have a better handle on what books that I've read you would like and which you wouldn't. Like I have a feeling you would really enjoy Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh because it's about psychological manipulation, seduction, mindfuckery, and it gets pretty messed up. Maybe not nihilistic in the same way High Rise is, but I think its exploration of the darker corners of the psyche would appeal to you. It was also written by a woman, so it does emotional manipulation quite well. One scene in particular in that book really bothered me.
It did initially appeal to me on an intellectual level. I liked seeing the machinations, how things are thought up, etc. But in the second book it started to feel kind of repetitive and drawn out and began losing me. Since I get the sense, and please tell me if I'm wrong, that the other books are similar, I can't imagine doing it another five or six times.

I will check out Cyteen though.