Hopkins vs. Wright

TheKris

Apr 26, 2006
Western NY
Any thoughts on tonights fight? Anyone still watch PPV boxing?

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I would watch for sure if it was on free HBO

Here's how I think you make boxing more interesting:
1. No pay per views.
2. One belt per weight class, and one ranking system. Not the 3 or 4 belts WBA WBCA NWA NWO or whatever horesehit multiple rankings they have now. Who knows what the fuck's going on.

TheKris

Apr 26, 2006
Western NY
I don't know how things like this work but doesn't it cost them more to put in on PPV? If the buyrates start getting lower and lower won't they decide to just put in on regular HBO to save money? Or does it cost the same either way so they figure they'll take whatever extra $ they can by doing so many PPVs?

highway23

I miss NY wings
Jan 24, 2006
NC
boxing needs to go free. There is no one in boxing right now that people really want to see. All they are doing is pushing fans away.

MMA is taking the fucking cake on this, and boxing is only making it worse. UFC does free, major bouts as well as PPV. Boxing has nothing at the moment.

Hopkins and Wright? This would've been a good ppv 3-5 years ago. It's nothing now...and it's too bad too, because I loved boxing

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Im a big Hopkins fan but this wont be a good fight. the guy is incredible though. theres only two guys on that level at the age in sports- hopkins and randy couture. they talked a while and took photos at the wild card gym in LA a couple months ago it was cool to see

I agree with the problems with boxing, but for all the people who do complain and think there arent any good fights anymore, are you watching fights like castillo and coralles which was on showtime, or manny pacquiao fights? kelly Pavlik and Edison miranda beating their brains in on HBO a few months ago? miguel cotto and zab judah last month, with sold out the garden to the highest attendance since ali frazier 1.

if your not checking out these fights while saying 'there arent any good fights anymore' your a dummy and missing out

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
kessler vs calzaghe should be phenominal later in the year. theres alot of good white fighters right now. kessler is a savage

vs

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Im a big Hopkins fan but this wont be a good fight. the guy is incredible though. theres only two guys on that level at the age in sports- hopkins and randy couture. they talked a while and took photos at the wild card gym in LA a couple months ago it was cool to see

I agree with the problems with boxing, but for all the people who do complain and think there arent any good fights anymore, are you watching fights like castillo and coralles which was on showtime, or manny pacquiao fights? kelly Pavlik and Edison miranda beating their brains in on HBO a few months ago? miguel cotto and zab judah last month, with sold out the garden to the highest attendance since ali frazier 1.

if your not checking out these fights while saying 'there arent any good fights anymore' your a dummy and missing out

Definitely in the lower weight classes there's some good fights. Usually I tend to think like "this fight will fuckin suck so what" and then it turns out to be a great bout.
Heavyweights? mmmm I dunno that weight class is as good as dead and its a joke, I think Evander Holyfield is making yet another comeback? Jeez.

Hopkins is a monster though, I'd be shocked if he is challenged.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
the shitty image of boxing, and low expectations for it is boxings own fault. but there are some great fights to watch regularly. and the sport still does extremely well, if anything mma is forcing boxing's hand to get its act together and put on better shows like hbo's triple header last week

empyrelounge

Aug 9, 2005
Boston, MA
boxing should go "free" to hbo for awhile just to showcase everyone and build up their fighters as personalities and then move back to ppv once people are interested again. its a better business move.

good to see B-Hop pick up the win

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
boxing should go "free" to hbo for awhile just to showcase everyone and build up their fighters as personalities and then move back to ppv once people are interested again. its a better business move.
agreed. but whats made UFC popular, is what makes the nba, nfl, and mlb still popular- a commissioner, a ceo type exective who runs the major top league in the world, and runs it like a corporation. thats what dana white has done for UFC, and you see the success its had.

boxing refuses to make these decisions. and the promoters still know how to sell a product, they still do phenomenal live gates, get major sponsors, but have mediocre ppv buys, and a popularity level less than mediocre. theyd need someone to run the sport in the US like a business to get that mainstream popularity back.

I really think now would be the perfect time. I dont expect to see it, but now would be the time with the middleweight/supermiddleweight division. the two best Kessler and Calzaghe are insanely huge in europe, and are going to fight. the two best middleweights in the US- Pavlik and Taylor are going to fight around the same time. then you still have the old guard Hopkins and rjj to have one of those classic confrontations of old guard vs new.

if you put that on basic tv, given the fact that alot of those fighters have exciting styles (the younger fighters), and the fact that the best of the lot are probably the white guys, i think that would really give boxing the boost its been looking for. but like I said I dont expect to see it. but Pavlik vs Taylor (in atlantic city), and Kessler vs Calzaghe are going to be phenomenal fights later this year